Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Re: Can PS4 and Xbox One compete with SteamOS and the like?

Dec 14, 2013
@CaptainAlbator Are you joking? The 780 ti can run every game on max settings. I'm no pc fan boy but this card graphics are above ps4 and will always be no matter if it's 5 years from now or not.
Specs:
Bitfenix Prodigy
EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
i-7 4770k at 3.5Ghz(4.2 OC)
16gb Ram Trident Series
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
ASUS H87I-PLUS Mini-ITX Motherboard
250gb Samsung EVO SSD
1TB HDD
750W PSU
Message 21 of 27 (141 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12266 posts

Dec 14, 2013
I agree that Steam boxes are targeting the living room for PC gamers but I think many of those consumers have already started migrating to the living room. Gaming notebooks allow for this and I know of many PC gamers that have their desktops hooked up to their HDTVs. They are essentially turning their gaming PCs into console-like systems.

There used to be a solid line between PC gaming and living rooms but that changed once PCs started adopting HDMI output. Before, they were limited to VGA or DVI and not very many HDTVs supported those. Even if they supported VGA, many 1080p sets accept a lower resolution input using that connection despite there being no resolution limitations with the actual connection format.

I have no doubt that Steam boxes will be successful for PC gamers especially if Valve can deliver a solid streaming service. That means that the hardware doesn't have to be upgraded every two years just to enjoy the latest and greatest graphics. It still puts them at a premium initial price but, if Valve delivers, I think they will be successful amongst PC gamers.

Console gamers will still prefer their consoles though as they have an initial lower investment, have established online communities (i.e. Xbox Live Gold and PS+), and offer many AAA exclusives. PC's (and eventually Steam) have their exclusives too but console exclusives tend to get all of the attention and be heavily developed.

I just don't see Steam boxes breaking out of the PC crowd. Even if I had the money to buy a $2000 gaming PC, I would still want at least one modern console to enjoy those exclusive games. Valve still has to prove their longevity at this point as a platform. I'm not talking about their PC software but rather their universe hasn't been around for that long (a day at this point). The PlayStation, Xbox, and Nintendo brands (and universes) have established themselves and proven their longevity.
Message 22 of 27 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Dec 14, 2013
I agree which is why I have a Ps4 and the computer of my dreams. Best of both worlds! I worked hard for it.

On the steam box topic I believe that steam is competing more against windows than consoles as stated before since most gamers already play in the living room due to hdmi support now.
Specs:
Bitfenix Prodigy
EVGA GTX 770 SC 4GB
i-7 4770k at 3.5Ghz(4.2 OC)
16gb Ram Trident Series
Corsair H100i CPU Cooler
ASUS H87I-PLUS Mini-ITX Motherboard
250gb Samsung EVO SSD
1TB HDD
750W PSU
Message 23 of 27 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14267 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 14, 2013

I don't know how well it will do.

But doesn't this kind of thing benefit those people who don't have a good enough PC knowledge to play newer games so they get games that are completely optimized for this steamos thing?

I mean.. there are people who can't really navigate a PC so well, so down the line they'll end up with a PC OS that plays games exclusively.

Apart from that I'm unsure of the market they are aiming at.

Message 24 of 27 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
249 posts

Dec 14, 2013

If I want to play computer games I'll build a nice PC. I don't care for the idea behind the Steam Box and I really don't like the look of the controller. I have never been a fan of virtual joysticks, like the ones used on tablets for gaming, and the steam controller inputs are basically virtual joysticks. I really have zero interest in that system. Valve is trying to walk a very fine line between console and PC gaming and I have a feeling they're going to fall off that line pretty quickly.

Message 25 of 27 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2567 posts

Dec 15, 2013
Why get a game-only OS when you already have an OS that can do that, and more?

Seems like a downgrade for me.
Message 26 of 27 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
3901 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2013

Don't you mean to ask "Can SteamOS and the like compete with PS4 and Xbox One"? And yes, they can. Sony & Microsoft both have skin in the game so it won't be an overnight victory. For at least 10 years it won't be.

Message 27 of 27 (112 Views)
0 Likes