Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Reply
Jan 16 2012
By: xxslasherzxx0 First Son 8 posts
Offline

Can PS3 slim really play PS2 games?

[ Edited ]
13 replies 62122 views Edited Feb 19, 2014

there have been a lot of people saying you can play ps2 games on  a ps3 slim with the ps2 data thing from the psn store. i downloaded that and still not able to play ps2 games. can anyone help?

 

Edit: Added label and updated title. For more information on labels, please see this post: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Message 1 of 14 (62,122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2010
Online
17773 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 16, 2012

No the slims can't play PS2 games. They can play PSOne and PS3 games. That download is for the "Phats" that can play PS2 games. There is nothing that can make a slim Backwards compatible.

Message 2 of 14 (62,122 Views)
Wastelander
Registered: 07/18/2009
Online
668 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 16, 2012

You're likely answering the OP correctly, but in point of fact, Sony has re-ported some PS2 games to work on PS3. Not very many yet. So in terms of the OP asking if they can play their PS2 games from DVD on a PS3 slim, no you can't. In terms of, can you play any PS2 games on a PS3 slim, yes there are some.

Kotaku story as example:

http://kotaku.com/5845974/rare-ps2-games-coming-to-the-playstation-network

Message 3 of 14 (62,122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
MVP Support
Registered: 03/01/2010
Online
17773 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 16, 2012

radix023 wrote:

You're likely answering the OP correctly, but in point of fact, Sony has re-ported some PS2 games to work on PS3. Not very many yet. So in terms of the OP asking if they can play their PS2 games from DVD on a PS3 slim, no you can't. In terms of, can you play any PS2 games on a PS3 slim, yes there are some.

Kotaku story as example:

http://kotaku.com/5845974/rare-ps2-games-coming-to-the-playstation-network

Right the OP is talking about disc based PS2 games and you're talking about PS2 games that have been added to the PSN store. Digital in other words. Yes those will work on any PS3 after you purchase them. Don't make the issue confusing. That download data the OP wrote about has nothing to do with the digital versions either.

Message 4 of 14 (62,122 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 05/12/2009
Offline
5723 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 16, 2012

The slim models cannot play disk based ps2 games.


Message 5 of 14 (62,122 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
First Son
Registered: 11/30/2012
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Nov 30, 2012

so a playstation 3 slim "CAN" play Playstation 1 games??? for real?? :smileyvery-happy:

Message 6 of 14 (53,696 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
Registered: 12/24/2007
Offline
15664 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Nov 30, 2012

EdwinElChapin wrote:

so a playstation 3 slim "CAN" play Playstation 1 games??? for real?? :smileyvery-happy:


Are you F*ing kidding me?

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 7 of 14 (53,689 Views)
First Son
Registered: 01/14/2013
Offline
1 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 14, 2013
Last night I put my Spyro ps2 game in my ps3 for my 3 yr old to play and I was in disbelief that it worked (I dont know what made me try it knowing that PS3 slim does not play ps2). I dont understand it.
Message 8 of 14 (47,236 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
Registered: 07/14/2000
Offline
12905 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 14, 2013

Mellenhead34 wrote:
Last night I put my Spyro ps2 game in my ps3 for my 3 yr old to play and I was in disbelief that it worked (I dont know what made me try it knowing that PS3 slim does not play ps2). I dont understand it.

I don't believe you. Prove it by posting a video...

Message 9 of 14 (47,222 Views)
MVP Support
Registered: 08/28/2008
Online
8556 posts
 

Re: Can ps3 slim really play ps2 games?

Jan 14, 2013

Mellenhead34 wrote:
Last night I put my Spyro ps2 game in my ps3 for my 3 yr old to play and I was in disbelief that it worked (I dont know what made me try it knowing that PS3 slim does not play ps2). I dont understand it.

My guess is that it is actually one of the PS1 Spyro games (which all PS1 games work on all PS3s).

Message 10 of 14 (47,217 Views)
Reply
0 Likes