Nov 26 2012
By: FeloniousMax First Son 3 posts

Can PS+ save the Vita (formerly 3DS outselling Vita 47:1, what to do.)

[ Edited ]
23 replies 307 views Edited Nov 26, 2012

This needs to be turned around fast, since Sony has stated no price drop in the forseeable future, they would be wise to release a "value pack" like they did with the PSP back in the day, only this time include a large memory card (16gb) and in place of a game a 1 year subcription to PS+, price it at $249.99. I seriously think this is the way to generate sales for this incredible little handheld.

Message 1 of 24 (307 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: 3DS outselling Vita 47:1, what to do.

Nov 26, 2012
They are already doing "value packs" with the Cod & Vita bundles. IMO what needs to happen is the price point needs to be under $200, and let customers pick whatever games and accessories they want.

People certainly responded positively to the Amazon's Vita bundle at $180...
Message 2 of 24 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11727 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Rather, my belief is that the PlayStation Vita needs games in order to generate sales figures. People are obviously willing to pay $250 for a Vita and even a 3DS. Dropping the price would hurt Sony financially, though as of now they just don't have anything or much in the way of inviting software for everyone to want to spend money on this device.

The biggest thing most gamers seem to step away from the Vita thinking is along the lines of, "Wow, cool technology!" If all gamers are getting is high-tech in your hand, what other reason is there to own one? Where's all the great games that people are beating down the door to get their friends to play? Is Uncharted: Golden Abyss really that much of a page-turner? Is Gravity Rush the definitive icon of the platform? Will Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified make everyone forget about the console experience? From the looks of things I just don't see reason enough to get a Vita for games like these. When the Vita starts unleashing more and more quality titles, I think that would bring gamers running to the hardware rather than a price drop.

Message 3 of 24 (293 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8176 posts

Nov 26, 2012
Nothing.

The two devices target two different markets.
Message 4 of 24 (289 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Nov 26, 2012

They are indeed doing value packs with games, but the real system seller is PS+ and it's Instant Game Library, they need to market that better and include a larger memory card in a value pack. I'm telling you it would move za ton of systems, those with PS3s that are on the fence...BOOM! IGL for PS3 built in to purchase of Vita. All they'd be losing was the cost of the initial subscription, once you get people used to the ecosystem they will be regular subscribers, PS+ is the best thing on Vita and the PS3 and it is their best asset to get people onto their platforms.

Message 5 of 24 (287 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 26, 2012
I agree that a 30 day trial for PS+ should be placed in every new PS hardware Sony sells. If people like it, they will buy a subscription. It is very rare that you would see a service give a free year of service.

I do agree that PS+ is vital at this stage to promote the Vita...
Message 6 of 24 (277 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 26, 2012

GrayGargoyle wrote:

Rather, my belief is that the PlayStation Vita needs games in order to generate sales figures. People are obviously willing to pay $250 for a Vita and even a 3DS. Dropping the price would hurt Sony financially, though as of now they just don't have anything or much in the way of inviting software for everyone to want to spend money on this device.

The biggest thing most gamers seem to step away from the Vita thinking is along the lines of, "Wow, cool technology!" If all gamers are getting is high-tech in your hand, what other reason is there to own one? Where's all the great games that people are beating down the door to get their friends to play? Is Uncharted: Golden Abyss really that much of a page-turner? Is Gravity Rush the definitive icon of the platform? Will Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified make everyone forget about the console experience? From the looks of things I just don't see reason enough to get a Vita for games like these. When the Vita starts unleashing more and more quality titles, I think that would bring gamers running to the hardware rather than a price drop.

I do agree that Sony is trying to maximize profits for this fiscal year, which is why I believe the Vita and PS3 didn't get any price drops.

But I think both the combination of a price drop and a consistant release of software should do the Vita a lot of good...

Message 7 of 24 (272 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Nov 26, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:
Nothing.

That's not quite true. Sure, Nintendo will always have the upper hand thanks to nostalgia and die hard fanboys. But ultimately, they are both dedicated gaming handhelds, the games that are making the 3DS sales aren't necessarily all first party titles. Which makes all boil down to the usual: desperate need for third party support~.

If the PSV would have games in store of the same caliber as Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, and so on and so forth, while it wouldn't outsell the 3DS it would not be selling as lowly as it is. Sony needs to secure some exclusives that appeal to an audience outside of Sony's PS3 userbase if it wants the PSV to succeed~.

Message 8 of 24 (269 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 26, 2012

JuanMdP wrote:

Doppelgangergang wrote:
Nothing.

That's not quite true. Sure, Nintendo will always have the upper hand thanks to nostalgia and die hard fanboys. But ultimately, they are both dedicated gaming handhelds, the games that are making the 3DS sales aren't necessarily all first party titles. Which makes all boil down to the usual: desperate need for third party support~.

If the PSV would have games in store of the same caliber as Bravely Default, Monster Hunter, Kingdom Hearts, Resident Evil, and so on and so forth, while it wouldn't outsell the 3DS it would not be selling as lowly as it is. Sony needs to secure some exclusives that appeal to an audience outside of Sony's PS3 userbase if it wants the PSV to succeed~.

I do agree that the 3DS and Vita target different markets to a good extent. The 3DS target market is essentially children, while the Vita is targeting teens and young adults. Of course there is some overlap, but for the most part those are their target markets...

Message 9 of 24 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2536 posts

Nov 26, 2012
I'd say most of, though not all of, Nintendo's games target kids. But look at the third party catalog: RE:Revelations, KH: DDD, Bravely Default, Monster Hunter Tri / 4, Ace Attorney, Professor Layton, Senran Kagura, Shin Megami Tensei IV, Dragon Quest. Those are far from children's games. Monster Hunter is as hardcore as it gets (talking about difficulty / mechanics, of course)~.

It's true that a good chunk of the 3DS userbase are kids, but the 400k wordwide units sold on a weekly basis aren't from children, at most it's half of that and the 3DS' catalog proves that this system is targetted at everybody, not just kids~.
Message 10 of 24 (249 Views)
0 Likes