Jun 15 2011
By: Hanstrider First Son 27 posts
Accepted Solution

Can PS Vita play all the PSP games from the PS Store?

133 replies 179300 views Edited Jun 15, 2011

My question is this and i cant seem to find the answer from Sony anywhere, i have heard that the PS Vita can play downloaded PSP games, i have never heard Sony say this. Can anyone find a link that proves Sony said that the PS Vita will play my games that i have downloaded from the PS Store to play on my PSP Go. I dont plan on keeping my PSP Go but i dont want to lose all my games that i have downloaded either.

Message 1 of 134 (179,300 Views)
First Son
6 posts

Re: Can PS Vita play all the PSP games from the PS Store?

Jun 15, 2011

If your talking about the game disc that the psp uses then the answer is no but if you mean download from the playstation shop then yes(for every game that is available)

Message 2 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Jun 16, 2011

yes i am talking about the games i have downloaded for my PSP Go, which would be downloaded from the PS Store. But my main question was, i havent seen any where that Sony has actually said this.

Message 3 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jun 16, 2011

Q: Is PS Vita compatible with other PlayStation platform games like PS3, PS2, or PSP? Do you have any plan to support other PlayStation platforms in the future?

A: Users can play PSP titles, minis and PSone classics titles which are offered on PS Store. We do no have any plans to make PS Vita compatible with PS3 or PS2 titles at this point.

http://us.playstation.com/support/answer/index.htm?a_id=2254

Message 4 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30025 posts

Jun 16, 2011

None of Sony's official press releases address backward compatibility at all.  There were plenty of rumors before the announcement, but the official statements have focused entirely on the Vita exclusive games and functions. Vita support in the Playstation Store hasn't been mentioned at all either, because it isn't finalized yet. The Vita will certainly have compatibility with some PSP compatible games, including PS1 Classics and Minis.  It will probably be compatible with most, if not all, PSP games as well.  The fact that Sony hasn't announced anything about backward compatibility doesn't mean that the Vita won't be backward compatible.  Just the opposite in fact.  If the Vita wasn't designed to be backward compatible, Sony would know that already, and there would be no reason not to include that information in the announcements.  It has a significant effect on the life-cycle of the PSP, which Sony would want to announce as soon as possible before that platform lost any more momentum. Also, the fact that Sony discontinued the PSP Go in Japan and Europe suggests that the Vita will be a viable replacement for that device. Clearly the Vita has PSP backward compatibility, as indicated by the FAQ in the knowledge base; but Sony probably is still testing the final hardware to determine how backward compatible the Vita actually is. Sony hasn't guaranteed that every single PSP game in the Playstation Store will run flawlessly on the Vita; and that won't be the case, as the Vita runs PSP software via an emulator, and those are never perfectly compatible with the real hardware. Based on Sony's experience with the PSP Go, it would not want to over-promise or under-deliver in this area.  There will be more announcements in the next few months about Vita backward compatibility.  You will just have to wait until then.

GKP
Message 5 of 134 (179,300 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1306 posts

Jun 16, 2011

gkpama00 wrote:

None of Sony's official press releases address backward compatibility at all.  There were plenty of rumors before the announcement, but the official statements have focused entirely on the Vita exclusive games and functions. Vita support in the Playstation Store hasn't been mentioned at all either, because it isn't finalized yet. The Vita will certainly have compatibility with some PSP compatible games, including PS1 Classics and Minis.  It will probably be compatible with most, if not all, PSP games as well.  The fact that Sony hasn't announced anything about backward compatibility doesn't mean that the Vita won't be backward compatible.  Just the opposite in fact.  If the Vita wasn't designed to be backward compatible, Sony would know that already, and there would be no reason not to include that information in the announcements.  It has a significant effect on the life-cycle of the PSP, which Sony would want to announce as soon as possible before that platform lost any more momentum. Also, the fact that Sony discontinued the PSP Go in Japan and Europe suggests that the Vita will be a viable replacement for that device. Clearly the Vita has PSP backward compatibility, as indicated by the FAQ in the knowledge base; but Sony probably is still testing the final hardware to determine how backward compatible the Vita actually is. Sony hasn't guaranteed that every single PSP game in the Playstation Store will run flawlessly on the Vita; and that won't be the case, as the Vita runs PSP software via an emulator, and those are never perfectly compatible with the real hardware. Based on Sony's experience with the PSP Go, it would not want to over-promise or under-deliver in this area.  There will be more announcements in the next few months about Vita backward compatibility.  You will just have to wait until then.

Sony has already shown software emulation of PSP titles is possible and due to the fact there are not a lot of different file types or a lot of complexity in the PSP OS, there more than likely will be no problem emulating all future PSP titles across the PS Store.

Since the official Sony spec page made no mention of a MIPS processor and how Sony claimed the ARM and PowerVR cihps where (mostly) stock grade (meaning Sony did not do a lot propriatary modification to the silicon), I guess it is safe to say it is purely software emulation. Still, Sony where able to even upgrade some visual and do stuff like re-mapping controls for second analog stick support. 

Message 6 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
30025 posts

Jun 16, 2011

None of Sony's previous console software emulation solutions (PS1 emulation on PS2 Slim and PS3, Emotion Engine emulation on first 80GB PS3) have been able to run 100% of the titles for the emulated platform.  None of them can run more than 98% without game-breaking issues. That should be more than sufficient as a backward compatibility solution (nobody says that you have to get rid of your PSPs when you buy a Vita), but technically there is no reason to expect that literally all PSP games will be playable on the Vita. Software emulation of hardware is never perfect, and this is especially true of game consoles, where every unit is functionally identical, and therefore developers rely heavily on the behavior of the hardware that they are running on based on testing and experimentation. That approach would fail for PC software due to the variation in PC hardware configurations, but one of the advantages of console development is that there is little or no variation in hardware characteristics within a console platform.  The leads to the development of brittle software that can fail in emulation.

GKP
Message 7 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Jun 24, 2011

Yes it can, however you can also connect it to you ps3 and download a ps3 game on to you psvita...

Message 8 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5911 posts

Jun 25, 2011

DarkDog535 wrote:

Yes it can, however you can also connect it to you ps3 and download a ps3 game on to you psvita...

LOL! What? No, it absolutely cannot do that.

gkpama00 wrote:

None of Sony's previous console software emulation solutions (PS1 emulation on PS2 Slim and PS3, Emotion Engine emulation on first 80GB PS3) have been able to run 100% of the titles for the emulated platform.

Actually, even the launch PS3 systems with the full PS2 hardware cannot run 100% of PS1 or PS2 games.

Everyone thinks I'm psychotic (except my friends deep inside the earth).
Message 9 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jun 25, 2011

if the psn store is there then there is no doubt that they will have some but probably not most of the games on the ps store but we will have to wait and see on a offical announcement.

Message 10 of 134 (179,300 Views)
0 Likes