Feb 06 2012
By: thug_life69 First Son 21 posts
Accepted Solution

Can I use my AT&T sim card in the 3G enabled Vita?

8 replies 7701 views Edited Feb 6, 2012

Topic. I currently have a 200MB data plan through AT&T for my phone. So if I get the 3G enabled Vita and put my phone's sim card in it, will I be able to use my 200mb of 3G withouf paying extra? (For stuff like web browsing and and chatting w/ friends etc.). Thanks!

Message 1 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
57 posts

Re: Can I use my AT&T sim card in the 3G enabled Vita?

Feb 6, 2012

I don't think so.

Considering the fact signing up for 3G under the Vita you aren't under contract.

Message 2 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Feb 6, 2012

thug_life69 wrote:

Topic. I currently have a 200MB data plan through AT&T for my phone. So if I get the 3G enabled Vita and put my phone's sim card in it, will I be able to use my 200mb of 3G withouf paying extra? (For stuff like web browsing and and chatting w/ friends etc.). Thanks!

I believe you can, the PSVita will just know that it is an AT&T sim card and use it.

Message 3 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Feb 6, 2012

why would you want to? ps vita's lowest plan is  250mb plan that is better then your 200mb plan.

http://us.playstation.com/psvita/att/

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 4 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13618 posts

Feb 6, 2012

Incagneto wrote:

why would you want to? ps vita's lowest plan is  250mb plan that is better then your 200mb plan.

Probably because he still is required to pay for the plan with his phone and does not want to pay ANOTHER plan on top of it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 5 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Feb 6, 2012

Yes you can use your AT&T sim card and existing data plan. Can't find the article on me but someone used a vita from hong kong and it accepted all the sim cards (although some were in 2G because it wasn't the same sim type as AT&T uses)

However the US vita is carrier locked so you must use AT&T, which as you said is no problem.

Now the AWESOME thing is. While you have your cell sim in the vita you CAN recieve text messages, however you can't read or reply to them, it just notifys you when you recieve one. So someone like me, who primarily texts and almost never talks on the phone (only time I do is when I call someone) then its great. I can use my 2GB of data from AT&T. And what's better is with FB and push notifications instead of texting me my family and friends can shoot me a message thru Facebook and I can pick it right up. And when I'm done gaming I can take my sim out and put it back in my phone.

photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 6 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

Feb 7, 2012

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:

Yes you can use your AT&T sim card and existing data plan. Can't find the article on me but someone used a vita from hong kong and it accepted all the sim cards (although some were in 2G because it wasn't the same sim type as AT&T uses)

However the US vita is carrier locked so you must use AT&T, which as you said is no problem.

Now the AWESOME thing is. While you have your cell sim in the vita you CAN recieve text messages, however you can't read or reply to them, it just notifys you when you recieve one. So someone like me, who primarily texts and almost never talks on the phone (only time I do is when I call someone) then its great. I can use my 2GB of data from AT&T. And what's better is with FB and push notifications instead of texting me my family and friends can shoot me a message thru Facebook and I can pick it right up. And when I'm done gaming I can take my sim out and put it back in my phone.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

SWEET! Thanks so much. I will get the 3G version for sure now.

glaciusx25 wrote:

Incagneto wrote:

Probably because he still is required to pay for the plan with his phone and does not want to pay ANOTHER plan on top of it.

Yeah, thats exactly why. Why would I need TWO 3G plans?

Message 7 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Feb 7, 2012

http://www.denkiphile.com/2012/01/18/hardware-preview-playstation-vita/ here's the article. For some reason the link ii had didn't work I had to google it.

http://www.analoghype.com/video-games/rumor-the-ps-vita-is-not-carrier-locked/

This is the original site I got it from, although the article is wrong (it is carrier locked in America, just the vita they were talking about was from hong kong which isn't locked)

(second link is just in case the first doesn't work)

But they said hackers might be able to make the vita be able to reply to texts etc.

photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 8 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
102 posts

Feb 29, 2012

ghas anyone actually done this - i took my AT&T SIM (from my smartphone - has a 2GB plan attached) and put it in the VITA and it can't connect. Do i need to do anything first?

Message 9 of 9 (7,701 Views)
0 Likes