Dec 29 2012
By: Bullaguirre First Son 3 posts

Can I use a UK Pal Game on my US PS3 console?

5 replies 342 views Edited Dec 29, 2012

Hey guys I have a quick question,

I want to buy a UK Pal game but I am not sure if it will work on my PS3 US console. I emailed the seller and he said the following:

"Hi the game is full uk pal (English version) its compatable with eu consoles. I hope this helps, it will not work on american consoles only ones in the uk and europeon zone.

Kind regards."

I thought that PS3s are region free so when he sent me this email I was a bit confused. Has anyone tried to play a UK Pal game on their US PS3 console? if so, did the game work?

Anything can help, thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (342 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39410 posts

Re: Can I use a UK Pal Game on my US PS3 console?

Dec 29, 2012

Bullaguirre wrote:

Hey guys I have a quick question,

I want to buy a UK Pal game but I am not sure if it will work on my PS3 US console. I emailed the seller and he said the following:

"Hi the game is full uk pal (English version) its compatable with eu consoles. I hope this helps, it will not work on american consoles only ones in the uk and europeon zone.

Kind regards."

I thought that PS3s are region free so when he sent me this email I was a bit confused. Has anyone tried to play a UK Pal game on their US PS3 console? if so, did the game work?

Anything can help, thanks!

Welcome to the PlayStation Community for the USA.

PS3's are not region-free but the games are, so yes a USA game will work on a UK PS3 & vice versa.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 2 of 6 (332 Views)
First Son
3 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Cool thanks for the correction there. I haven't played video games in close to five years so I'm new to PS3.

I'll order the game and once it arrives I will update everyone on it.

thanks again!

Message 3 of 6 (324 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 30, 2012

I just called customer service for US PS3s and the lady told me that I cannot use the UK game on a US console. So confused now.

Message 4 of 6 (319 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
859 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Actually, she meant that you shouldn't. But you can, PS3 is region-locked because of DVD playback support and some blu-rays (even though, until now, I've not come across a single region-locked blu-ray to be honest) but nearly, like, 99.9% of all PS3 games are region-free, the only one I can think of that is not region-free is StrangleHold (not missing much...). So you can play your UK PAL game, Japanese NTSC, etc. without issues. Never rely on technical support to get these informations, officially US residents should only buy NTSC-U games. Imports are extra-official affairs, you're better off asking fellow gamers like you did just now. Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 6 (312 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
39410 posts

Dec 30, 2012

Bullaguirre wrote:

I just called customer service for US PS3s and the lady told me that I cannot use the UK game on a US console. So confused now.

Ignore her, she knows not what she says.

Seriously, PS3 games are region-free, trust me.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 6 of 6 (308 Views)
0 Likes