Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 20 2011
By: Perceived First Son 5 posts

Can I swap a disc drive with my current one?

7 replies 815 views Edited Nov 20, 2011

I heard that there is something about the disc drives that are tied to the mother board or something. Is this true? Would I be able to switch a disc drive model CECHE01, CECHH01, or CECHA01 with my current CECHA01 model disc drive? It's broken and I don't think I can fix it. I read a couple posts and people were saying that they were tied to the original playstation with some kind of crypto-key, but as long as I switch them with models CECHA01/CECHE01/CECHH01 it should be fine. Please tell me it's possible to swap them -.-

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
654 posts

Re: Can I swap a disc drive with my current one?

Nov 20, 2011

You can, but it's not just a matter of moving the hard drives. Yes, the hard drives are locked to the individual console. Just the same model of PS3 will not work.

There is a Sony provided tool to migrate from one console to another. You can also use external storage and backup your console, then replace the hard drive and recover your data back onto that drive.

I'm not clear on what assets you're trying to move where, so I'm not sure what is appropriate to your situation.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 20, 2011

I'm not trying to replace my hard drive, I'm trying to replace my disc drive.

http://cdn.techiser.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/PSGroove-play-Backups-without-Blu-Ray-Disc.jpg

The blu-ray player, if you will. The tool that reads the discs. You see, mine broke. I found one on ebay that is my model. I was wondering if I buy it, will I be able to remove my broken one and put the one I purchased in?

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
654 posts

Nov 20, 2011

I think so. See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qztw_aUBQhI

Sony doesn't provide good documentation for this, as they want you to use their repair service. Online I found that rather than some faqs and guides from the community there  were some guides for sale or a repair website you buy a membership for. The Internent is a more mercenary place than when I started online.

I think you've got a good shot with the guide I referenced. He says he's working on a 60GB unit, which is the CECHA01.

Caveat emptor, as always.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Nov 20, 2011

Yes, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you! And yes I know they don't release much information about it because they want you to pay them $150 for repairs. It's stupid. I emailed them, and the representative said he cannot comment on whether or not it would work, and that if I really want it fixed, I should send it in and pay repairs. How crazy is that?

Anyway, thank you! I really appreciate your help

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Nov 20, 2011

read the box of the 160 gb box

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15233 posts

Nov 25, 2011

with older PS3's which the BD drives daughterboard is able to be separated, yes.

with newer PS3's where the BD drive has no daughterboard. No.

the BD drives are coded(married) to the specific PS3 motherboard it was manufactured for.

this is fine with older PS3's as you can simply exchange the daughterboard, but if its a newer PS3 you have to send it to sony.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (815 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 17, 2013

It's just a matter of taking off the daughterboard from the Bluray drive and putting it on the new one. There are also several options to replacing the whole drive. If you know your eye has stopped reading discs you can get an eye replacement and it's farily cheap. If you want to go the extra you can order a whold internal drive carriage that will have new drive motors for the eye plus the new eye. It's not hard to do if you have a little skill in taking things apart.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (388 Views)
0 Likes