Dec 27 2012
By: GamerKT First Son 3 posts

Can I still buy a "free" game while I have PlayStation Plus?

12 replies 351 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

I'm only going to have PlayStation Plus for a month, and I really want to own a game that happens to be free this month. Do I have to wait until my subscription runs out to buy it? Or can I buy it now?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7184 posts

Re: Can I still buy a "free" game while I have PlayStation Plus?

Dec 27, 2012

GamerKT wrote:

I'm only going to have PlayStation Plus for a month, and I really want to own a game that happens to be free this month. Do I have to wait until my subscription runs out to buy it? Or can I buy it now?

Any game you download from PS+ will be on your download list. Once your subscription ends, you can't play it anymore, but if you resubsribe you can download it again and play it.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (340 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 27, 2012
I know that. I want to own it by paying for it. I'm asking if I have to wait until my subscription runs out to do so, because the option to purchase is not there.
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (335 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7184 posts

Dec 27, 2012

You answered your own question...

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (321 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Not really. I'm asking someone for confirmation. I don't know if this is the case or not; that's why I made this thread. Are you confirming this for me?
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (311 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Yes you have to wait for your subscription to expire or wait for the free game to cycle out of the IGC to be able to purchase it with your own money...
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (308 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1244 posts

Feb 10, 2013

I didn't want to clutter the board too much with a new thread ... and I went about 10 pages back to find this one, so this will work for now ...

In the past I never cared about "purchasing" a "free" PS+ game in order to actually own the game, but now I am at the point where I have several PSPs, PS3s, and a Vita in my house.  I'm a gaming dad, and with three gaming boys, for the first time the restriction (or limitation) on purchasing PS+ content has hit my personal gaming preferences.

Final Fantasy V was offered for PS+ subscribers in the fall of 2011.  The game is now on sale along with the other FF titles.  I can't purchases it, and since it is already registered on my PSP and one of my boy's PSPs, no one else can play it without deregistering.  That's a pain in the rear.  It would be nice if I could actually purchase this title, but cannot because my PS+ subscription shows "you have already purchased" this title.

I don't expect anyone to do anything or help - this is just the way PS+ works.  If a mod happens to read this maybe they will take note because I have seen these types of threads in the past.  Sony is actually preventing the sale of PSN titles to PS+ subscribers just because games were previously offered in PS+, which seems like a poor business decision to me.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Poster of the Week
5366 posts

Feb 10, 2013
What happens when you click on the download link? Does it just give you the option to download it? I ask because, I know before, when I tried certain games that left the plus section, when I clicked on the download button, I got an option to either download for free (because of Plus.) or to purchase the game.

I am not sure if that worked with all games, and the games I tried that on were mini's, so I don't know if PSP or PSN worked the same way. I do now I only got that option if the game already left the plus section.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (172 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1244 posts

Feb 10, 2013

I'll have to try later on my PS3 and let you know.  The game is not available directly for the Vita, and from the PC Store, I cannot re-purchase (i.e. pay for).

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (165 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1244 posts

Feb 10, 2013

Bad form replying to myself, but I just confirmed that on my PS3 I cannot re-purchase FF V.  I can only download.  It is sort of a bummer since we have move devices than Sony allows to be licensed per.  I would be happy to pay the $ ...

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (151 Views)
0 Likes