Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 21 2008
By: Roxxerz Splicer 83 posts

Can I initialize the HDD back so that the PS3 can read it again?

14 replies 36 views Edited Dec 21, 2008

Like an idiot, I decided to take things into my own hands without research and use Norton Ghost 14 to clone the PS3's original 60GB HDD to my new 200GB one.  This created a huge problem.  Windows wasn't reading the original drive so I initialized it.  After I did so, it came to me that it wasn't a new drive so the PS3 probably used a different format that Windows couldn't read; that's the reason I needed to initialize it in the first place.  I quickly unplugged the drive and plugged it back into the PS3 and that's when I got the message that the drive had to be formatted.  What can I do, if anything, to get it working again?  I'd be the most dreary person in the world if I lost all my save data. 

-Thanks in advance.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (36 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3547 posts

Re: Can I initialize the HDD back so that the PS3 can read it again?

Dec 21, 2008
If you didn't back it up, sorry, there's nothing you can do to save your data. You should have used the back up utility that the PS3 has.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
50 posts

Dec 21, 2008
You shouldn't have used Norton.  They make terrible software.
-----------------
I has no sig. :smileysad:
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Dec 21, 2008
So that's it?  Just because I initialized the drive, there's nothing I can do?  That doesn't make sense.  All the data is still there.  Is there nothing that can initialize the drive so that the PS3 can read it, without formatting?  If Windows did it in a millisecond, I'm sure something can do it for the PS3. 
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Dec 21, 2008

BluSkyeNinja wrote:
You shouldn't have used Norton.  They make terrible software.

I didn't use Norton.  I said I was planning to.  all I did was initialize the drive then plugged it out after realizing that I shouldn;t have had to initialize it unless the PS3 used some other format to read the data.There should be a way to initialize it for the PS3 now.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3547 posts

Dec 21, 2008

Roxxerz wrote:
So that's it?  Just because I initialized the drive, there's nothing I can do?  That doesn't make sense.  All the data is still there.  Is there nothing that can initialize the drive so that the PS3 can read it, without formatting?  If Windows did it in a millisecond, I'm sure something can do it for the PS3. 

Yup sorry, the HDD must be formatted so the PS3 can read the data off of it, the ONLY option you have now is paying a company to try and salvage your data off of the HDD but you're gonna get charged a lot.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Dec 21, 2008
Why can't I do exactly what that company would do?  And do you know this over 9000% for fact?
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Dec 21, 2008
What is being said doesn't make sense to me.  It's not like this thing is freakin' Scylla.  "Scylla is a small portable data device containing information on alternative forms of energy, including B:Ar:Ga:In solar cells. The 6 cards thought to be Scylla are in fact simply keys to unlock the device thought to be the decoder, which is now known to be the container for the actual Scylla device. The 6 keys unlock the container, and Scylla can be removed."
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3547 posts

Dec 21, 2008

Why didn't you just use the back-up utility? BTW I don't know of a software that could "uninitialize" the HDD, sorry.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
83 posts

Dec 21, 2008

Not necessarily uninitialize but maybe initialize it for the PS3 like Windows did for itself.  I didn't have to format it with Windows in order for it to read it. 

I didn't use the backup utility because I don't have any kind of external storage that's large enough so I just decided to do it this way.  I basically explained what happened.  

Unless SONY intentionally made it so that if the disc was initialized by Windows, it can never be used again unless formatted by the PS3, there definitely has to be a method to fix this.  I'm trying really hard to refain from cursing because of how damn stupid this is.  

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (35 Views)
0 Likes