Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jul 27 2011
By: Dicsmak First Son 8 posts

Can I get a PSN Plus free trial?

25 replies 44991 views Edited Jul 27, 2011

I just got a PS3 yesterday, and was wondering if it's possible for me to get a short trial of PSN Plus so I can see if it's worth it. Do they offer promotions like that?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 26 (44,991 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Can I get a PSN Plus free trial?

Jul 27, 2011

No. The shortest subscription you can get is a 3 month one for $18...

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 26 (44,989 Views)
PlayStation MVP
11663 posts

Jul 27, 2011

Um, no.

The most they had was the welcome back package after the PSN outage where everyone got 30 days of it free.

The PS + isn't bad, for only $50 a year. I just wish it had more. Worth it if you download games a lot.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
10905 posts

Jul 27, 2011

There was a free one-month trial available for returning PlayStation Network users who had signed up before the network intrusion back in April. Besides that, PlayStation Plus is not given away unless some kind of promotion came to light. The simplest way to get just a taste though is through the three-month subscription, which costs $18.

Unless of course you're able to do math in your head, for which you don't even need to pay a cent to see all the available goods Plus has to offer its customers. Just head over to the PlayStation Plus folder in the PlayStation Store's menu each week. You'll notice the same thing Plus members do, such as the freebies and the discount offers. The only thing is you won't be able to download those items until you decide to open your wallet.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 27, 2011

Word. I already have Xbox Live, and PSN Plus doesn't seem to be worth it if I can play MP for free. I guess the themes and stuff are cool, but I don't dl a lot of arcade games. I play PC as well, so I can get those games cheaper anyway.

Thanks for the info.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Jul 27, 2011

Its not all arcade games though, PS+ members also get discounts (some deep) on games such as Borderlands and DLC for major titles like MAG. I purchased the year subscription awhile back, and I have no reason to regret my decision. Sometimes you might need a game to just sit back and relax, for me I choose SuperStardust HD or Stacking, both I got free from PS+.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Jul 27, 2011

I do think it's cool you got Stacking free through PSN +.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 27, 2011

You do certainly get your money's worth with PS+, IMO the games are good but it usually isn't quite what I want. The same thing goes with the discounts, I rarely find any discounts that appeal to me. I would like it better if there was a general discount for all PSN products for PS+ members...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7804 posts

Jul 27, 2011

I estimate I've gotten about $400 worth in my first year of PS+ (and I have only taken advantage of a handful of discounts, including the Borderlands discount last week).  Most of my savings is the 'free' games (which I realize aren't actually mine to keep, which is irrelevant since I will be renewing my subscription when this one is up), most of which either I, or my family, still play from time to time.

It's well worth the $50/yr investment.

One other benefit to the Plus Service (though many would argue that it's not very well worth it) is the early access to certain Betas, most of which are the multiplayer sides of popular titles (Uncharted 3 was the most recent, though it was only a week earlier than the general public).  The major one that I enjoyed to a certain extent was the 3+ months of DC Universe Online that we got prior to the game's release (though the 15GB initial download was a bit of a hassle).

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 26 (44,989 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Community Manager
1469 posts

Aug 4, 2011

We're looking into offering Plus trials in various small programs throughout the coming year, but they will usually be associated with buying content (ie: System bundles) So i'm afraid there's no standard free trial of Plus that's open to all.

But we're constantly looking at ways to get more people interested in Plus, so hope you get a chance to try it soon!

- morgan haro, SCEA PlayStation Community Management Team
@morganharo

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 26 (44,989 Views)