Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 02 2012
By: Erthkwake Lombax Warrior 102 posts

Cameras

6 replies 151 views Edited Dec 2, 2012

Everything in the Vita's hardware is quality.  That's one of it's major strengths.  I love the whole thing, except for the cameras.  It can only be used in well-lit areas and there are weird particles that litter the pictures like sand.

Well, that's how I'm experiencing it anyway.  What about you guys?

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (151 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7551 posts

Re: Cameras

Dec 3, 2012
Yeah, same on this end as well. Only works with good lighting and not too dark.

The cameras, unfortunately, are both just 640x480 VGA. However they are both high framerate, which enables all the AR games to happen. I would have wished that they bump up the sensors to at least 5MP, should help out with the quality.

Low-Light performance, however, requires the lens to be physically bigger (to capture more light). It might be a space constraint so they left the cameras that small.
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1677 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Doppelgangergang wrote:
Yeah, same on this end as well. Only works with good lighting and not too dark.

The cameras, unfortunately, are both just 640x480 VGA. However they are both high framerate, which enables all the AR games to happen. I would have wished that they bump up the sensors to at least 5MP, should help out with the quality.

Low-Light performance, however, requires the lens to be physically bigger (to capture more light). It might be a space constraint so they left the cameras that small.

Vita refresh should include an LED flash for the camera as well as at least one HD camera, if possible.  I can imagine the flash could be used in games.  Imagine a lightning strike in a game and the LED quickly flashes at the same time?  That would be a neat surprise.

The camera works well in standard lighting, however, for games.  Frobisher Says is a great example, game runs well aside of the color-finding game.  That only works consistently in great lighting.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (137 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 3, 2012

I disagree completely for 1.2mp cameras I seriously could not be happier with their performance.

Using skype is a blast and it looks great, far better than I honestly expected for such low resolution cameras.. Most cameras all require good lighting that is seriously nothing new unless you're using an expensive smart phone, expensive DLSR or digital camera, sure expect it to far better than a measly 1.2mp camera with no control of shutter speed.

I have played Frobisher and actually been in complete darkness using nothing but a color changing bulb that is farily dim and it worked perfectly. I don't see how you had that much trouble if I did it in a completely dark room with a cheap dim energy saving bulb that changes colors that was literally like 10ft from me in my room.

To me and for the price of everything it does, it's fine in my opinion. As usual I didn't buy the Vita for any of that crap anyway, I bought it simply to play games, I have tons of higher end DSLR's, digtal cameras and even a GS3 that takes great pictures. I could understand if it's your only device you have ever owned with a camera but I really find that hard to believe.

Hell I have had phones with 3.2mp cameras that looked far crappier than the Vita's 1.2mp camera, I feel if youve been around the block with cameras you should know 1.2mp camera's really don't get much better than what the Vita has honestly other than adding a flash to it..

Which again it's a portable gaming device, I really don't think it needs a flash.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (119 Views)
Fender Bender
3929 posts

Dec 3, 2012
I feel the camera is a gimmick. I can't see anyone in their right mind going around.taking pictures with it lol.
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
841 posts

Dec 3, 2012

Yeah, the camera isnt very good in my experience with it, anyway. I barely ever use it though, I dont really have a reason to. My cellphone captures in 10MP so I always just use that, plus its way easier to just upload the crap directly from my phone rather than plug in a Vita and transfer it on a PC.

Thats just me personally, though- some others don't have that luxery.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (94 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4534 posts

Dec 3, 2012

It's not great, but it doesn't really need to be.  I feel like it was unnecessary and they could've left it out, or, since they decided to include it, they may as well have made it more worthwhile with better quality.  If it was better, I'd probably use it much more.  It does work quite well for Skype though.  That's all I've used it for regularly.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (75 Views)
0 Likes