Feb 13 2014
By: xX91NCHNA1L5Xx Lombax Warrior 151 posts

Call Of Duty and Battlefield Are Taking Advantage of People and Destroying Gaming Industry!?

[ Edited ]
13 replies 351 views Edited Feb 13, 2014

Who else thinks the entire C.O.D. franchise is retarded?

First off, all of them are pretty much the same...and the don't even bother changing the engine and actually breaking a sweat, because people will buy it anyway. All they do is update the engine all while calling it a new engine. Its been the same game engine FOR A VERY LONG TIME. BF3 ran off Frostbtte 2, BF4 will run off from Frostbite 3. Not an updated Frostbite 2, its a new game engine. This is something that the COD games have not done since before the launch of the PS3.

The Infinity Ward and Treyarch both have a contractual agreement to deliver a COD game every other year. As such with this McDonaldization and assembly line form of production, any sort of MASSIVE change in the game never comes to fruition because of the very short time table they are allotted to have, which is dictated by Activision.

I feel bad for the developers because they have A LOT of great ideas, which are turned away. AND they work LONG hours. This is why COD has NEVER seen a huge improvement, EVER. At least since COD2 and 3.

Any game published by Activision, has seen a huge popularity for a good while and then because of this "McDonaldization" from games like Guitar Hero, Rockband, DJ Hero (and virtually every rhythym type game) and COD games start to see a VERY SHARP drop-off. We first saw it with Guitar Hero, it felt as if every 6 months a new GH game came out and as such.... sales after GH3 started to sink dramatically. Rockband breifly held that torch because it was direct competition, and then it never picked up after DJ Hero and even Rocksmith. Games like Destiny, Titanfall, etc etc couldn't come at a BETTER time to take the torch. And I'm glad....

There is no change in any COD game, no innovation. Its just the same meal with different seasoning.

EDIT: Added line breaks.

Platinums: 7
Platinums achieved in order: Dark Souls>Dungeon Defenders>Demons Souls>Dark Souls 2>God of War Ascension>God of War>God of War 3 :3
Message 1 of 14 (351 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2980 posts

Re: Call Of Duty and Battlefield Are Taking Advantage of People and Destroying Gaming Industry!?

Feb 13, 2014
If I was making millions of dollars year after year by making a certain game a certain way, I probably would not change it much either for fear of alienating my customers. As soon as the numbers aren't there you can bet they will try to make changes to bring customers back. Right now the game is making them lots of money, and people are logging thousands of hours daily. Try to focus on the games you do like instead of worrying about ones you don't.
Message 2 of 14 (335 Views)
Shinra Executive
42076 posts

Re: Call Of Duty and Battlefield Are Taking Advantage of People and Destroying Gaming Industry!?

Feb 13, 2014
If people are having fun, let them. You have publishers putting in minimal effort each year for big bucks and they have large enough fanbase that buys each year. That's win-win for them, their fans (who are fine with minimal changes + new settings), and investors.

However, it would be nice if other publishers/developers would stop chasing that crowd by shoehorning in particular elements from those franchises into existing ones. Stop that. Also, yeah, does suck for studios who have been regulated to the franchise and don't get to work on new IPs or something new in general. How many are working on CoD? Treyarch, Infinity Ward, Sledgehammer and I think Activision uses 2-3 others for DLC as well (Raven and Neversoft?) to make annual releases.

Message 3 of 14 (306 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
52 posts

Feb 13, 2014

Evan297 wrote:
If I was making millions of dollars year after year by making a certain game a certain way, I probably would not change it much either for fear of alienating my customers. As soon as the numbers aren't there you can bet they will try to make changes to bring customers back. Right now the game is making them lots of money, and people are logging thousands of hours daily. Try to focus on the games you do like instead of worrying about ones you don't.

This. These discussions get old after a while. I have never heard of someone changing their mind about a franchise because of an angry forum post. What inevitably follows these posts are 50 guys for COD and 50 guys for Battlefield hating on eachother until a moderator locks the thread.

The Legend of Dragoon was released by SCEJ in June of 2000. Sony released the game for the PS1 although the PS2 had been announced in the US and had been released in Japan. As a result, the game received little attention. SCEJ dropped production of the sequel for unknown reasons, but some speculate it was because of the low sales of the original. Over the years the game has rendered a cult-like following and hundreds of petitions have been created to either remaster the game or develop a sequel. Santa Montica Studios dropped production of the main character, Dart, who was to be offered in a Playstation All-Stars DLC pack - due to low sales of previous DLC released for the game. This franchise is still marketable. After all, it did make the Top 5 Best Selling PSOne Classics list 9 times following its PSN release. [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] If you haven't played the game I urge you to buy the digial copy on the playstation store. It's only $5.99. If you like it, urge SCE to do something with the franchise in the life of the PS4.

Message 4 of 14 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
682 posts

Feb 13, 2014

Titanfall is a step in the right direction.  But other than big ol mechs is still a fps.  I agree that the fps market may be a bit stale right now.  I keep coming back though, because I have fun playing.

I was big into cod way back when.  Bf4 got me back playing fps.  Both have great offerings but nothing really original.  Still fun to be had.

Im going to try out cod again when sledgehammer makes the next one.  With a new developer and a 3 year game cycle maybe new and original ideas can breath life into the fps genre.

And I love mcdonalds too

Message 5 of 14 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
151 posts

Feb 13, 2014
If someone wants an fps, play Half-Life, or fallout, or metro, not c**p
Platinums: 7
Platinums achieved in order: Dark Souls>Dungeon Defenders>Demons Souls>Dark Souls 2>God of War Ascension>God of War>God of War 3 :3
Message 6 of 14 (231 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
427 posts

Feb 13, 2014
Change is on the way , Activision has announced that all future call of duty titles will be developed on a 3 year cycle and a third development studio has been added to the COD team , Sledgehammer . Activision is on top and I think this change will keep them on top , I can't wait for the next Treyarch COD game , I think Treyarch will benefit the most from this change because they will get more time to work with the new hardware than the other studios . The 3 year cycle should give all 3 studios more time to quality check and playtest there games before release . Fingers crossed .
[URL="http://psnprofiles.com/cb765"][IMG]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png[/IMG][/URL]http://card.psnprofiles.com/1/cb765.png
Message 7 of 14 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42076 posts

Feb 13, 2014
^^^ For a lot of people, those games lack the competitive nature/aspect that are the focal point in your CoDs and BFs. Shooting some random sap in the face and so on in DM or what have you.

Message 8 of 14 (220 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
34 posts

Feb 13, 2014
Hey buddy you do know that battlefield 4 frostbite 3 engine is still the EXACT SAME ENGINE as frostbite 2. Better yet it's the same engine from bad company 1. It's just tweaked and they put a different number to fool people. A dead give away is all the exact same problems in every release. Go look on YouTube and there are tons of vids explaining these issues.
Message 9 of 14 (182 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

Feb 13, 2014

All the casual cod/battlefield players that get wrecked everytime they play always have to open there mouth.....
Its not the games that are bad, its you.

"This game sucks"
"Quikskopn is so OP"
"That guns OP"
"He killed me in 2 shots"

^Robot Very Happy

Message 10 of 14 (178 Views)
0 Likes