Jun 07 2010
By: welcomehomey Gaming Beast 2498 posts

CECHE01 15 blade fan vs 19 blade fan. Does the 15 blade recirculate hot air?

7 replies 3767 views Edited Jun 7, 2010

And if the 15 blade recirculates hot air what proof is there of this?

playing socom confrontation since the beta.
Message 1 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
398 posts

Re: CECHE01 15 blade fan vs 19 blade fan. Does the 15 blade recirculate hot air?

Jun 7, 2010

There is a guy on eBay that says the 15 blade is inefficient but of course he is selling the 19 bladed one.

Message 2 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1073 posts

Re: CECHE01 15 blade fan vs 19 blade fan. Does the 15 blade recirculate hot air?

Jun 7, 2010

I would like a picture of it myself. I have the made in china one bought it at 12/21/06 and it still runs stronge. It kicks into 2nd gear when the room is hot but if it stays below 72 in the room it stays on low. The 19 blade fan has straight blades. So its only pushing the air out the sides towards the exhaust vents. The 15blade is more like a fan and blows it up against the board and also out the side. So I don't see how the 15 blade is faulty.

Message 3 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2498 posts

Jun 7, 2010

MadBullBunny wrote:

The 15blade is more like a fan and blows it up against the board and also out the side. So I don't see how the 15 blade is faulty.

If it is supposed to only puch air out then pushing some against the board is doing this wrong. Are you sure  some air is being pushed up?

Message 4 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 7, 2010

This is the diagram that has been circulating that shows the difference between the fans:

When I installed my 19-blade fan I noticed that the whole system cools more dramatically as the fan speed goes up...

Message 5 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2498 posts

Jun 7, 2010

ShatteredGlass~ wrote:
Heres some information I've compiled. This isnt the first time or even all that rare of an occurance now.

Where sony has said to the press before that the playstation 3 should be as loud as the playstation 2.
http://www.scee.presscentre.com/Cont...8&NewsAreaID=2

"Equipped with basic input/output ports, PS3 supports a broad range of displays from conventional NTSC/PAL standard TVs to the latest full HD (1080i/1080p) flat panel displays, offering the joy of the most advanced computer entertainment contents to homes around the world. For use in living rooms, maximum heat and noise reduction has been achieved with a noise level equivalent to that of the current slim-line PlayStation 2."

So whats the deal here? why are people having problems?
Heres some links to different forums where information has been compiled about this problem.

The Two Different Types of Fans
http://content.techrepublic.com.com/...65.html?seq=69 -15 Bladed Poopy Curved Edged Fan (typical faulty fan)

It seems as though the 15 bladed fan would be less efficient at moving air. I dont have my mechanical engineering degree yet and im just a sophomore in UMR, but my basic knowledge of heat transfer would tell me that less blades would mean a faster spinning and thus noisier fan.

Faulty Air Circulation (Especially With 15 Bladed Fan)
http://www.minhembio.com/forum/uploa...1176837012.jpg -Diagram Showing Air Circulation Inside PS3
http://www.minhembio.com/forum/uploads/post-28409-1181809125.jpg -Picture showing correct and incorrect airflow at the Cell

'The blue in representing inflow and red is going out (illustrative). So it happens really within the whole heatsink and the air somewhat "locked" in the inner parts get REALLY hot very fast. And due to the larger amount of air pumped in, the more the escaping jet stream increases in strength, and the inefficient air circulation is a reality.

One cause of this scenario could also be the fan itself which needs to be very tight in the sense that there must be a minimal gap in the area of this erroneuos layer to be able to produce enough pressure to keep any incoming air to stay out. I could conclude that my particular fan has a significant gap here that might be underperforming. Once again use a flashlight and look for instance in from the upper back exhaust and look for the shovels of the fan. I think they should be somewhat visible in the lowest layer.'

**Now what I've also personally noticed is that if you look at the two different pictures of the fans, the black ring around the outer edge of the fan is on the top in one picture and on the bottom on another. The ring on the 19 bladed fan is exactly where the leaking air would come in, effectively blocking the unwanted airflow.. Now on the 15 bladed fan, it is in the wrong place.**

Complete Article With Sound Recording Of PS3 Noise
just for those who were further interested, very detailed article.

Quote From Forums
"Yesterday i checked the installed fans inside the PS3's and the quiet one had the 19-blade fan while the loud one has the 15-blade fan built in.
While the 19-blade PS3 is subjectively more quiet and sound like a stronger stream of air at fan-level 3, the 15-blade PS3 sound is more a combination of the air-stream together with a hum sound, which to me is the noticeable part and which also travels longer in the room.
I also used a sound level meter with A-Frequency and surprisingly the values do not differ very much between them(maybe it's worth trying the C-Frequency, but the device doesn't support that)."

How To Check For Yourself
http://suprfile.com/src/1/7z36jad/ps3_fans.jpg -Note that the bottom of the PS3 is the right side in this picture. For best results, this needs to be done in a dark room with a bright light and the PS3 needs to be turned off. You should be able to see the fan blades through the plastic on the bottom of the case.

Personal Results
I checked this for myself after researching the problem for several days. It was pretty hard to count the fan blades, but it can be done without opening the case and consequently voiding your warranty. It turns out I have the 15 bladed curved fan in my PS3, which could very likely be the reason why it makes so much noise. I keep my room at 77 deg. Fahrenheit, the PS3 sits on a table either standing up or sitting, and has no air flow restrictions on any side. there is a wall about a foot and a half behind the PS3, thats the closest barrier to airflow. My ceiling fan is at its highest setting to improve airflow in the room. As far as I can tell, these are optimal situations. Now as far as I can tell, it appears that some playstation 3s were built inferior to others due to this fan, and as to why Sony would do something like this is beyond me. As a cost cutting measure, it would be impractical, four less blades on a fan wouldnt justify the costs of dissatisfied customers. Why would they do it? Nobody seems to know.

I'm not bashing the PS3 either. I believe it is superior to other consoles and I love playing it. But why would Sony do this to us?

Message Edited by ShatteredGlass on 07-24-2007 11:58 AM

Message 6 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
13 posts

Mar 1, 2012

which one is which?

Message 7 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 1, 2012

The "faulty" one is the 15 blade...

Message 8 of 8 (3,767 Views)
0 Likes