May 23 2014
By: thegreatsquare Splicer 63 posts

C/D Response to Kinectless XB1 should be 1TB HDD.

22 replies 315 views Edited May 23, 2014

With 40GB games like Wolfenstein , the 500 HDD isn't going to cut it very long. A 1TB hard drive would be better than a $50 price cut [not that the PS4 needs an immenent price cut, but it has to happen eventually], cheaper for Sony and more cost effective to the consumer than doing an aftermarket upgrade themselves.

While a more affordable PS4 will be nice, the PS4 I want to buy has a 1TB HDD off the shelf.

...and may I add, if and when redesigns PS4 to some "slim" model, I think a 2nd HDD bay would be like the most awesome thing that Sony could possibly do.

Message 1 of 23 (315 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

Re: C/D Response to Kinectless XB1 should be 1TB HDD.

May 23, 2014

M$ has been dropping the ball with the XB1 since their E3 press conference last June and they continue to do so. This was their shot at making their system BETTER then the PS4 yet they threw away another oppurnity b/c the people at the head of the  gaming division are morons. Not that I want  the XB1 to be bettter then the PS4 but I like pointing out how stupid M$ is. 

So now the new Xbox will be equal to, not better then the PS4 so how is that suppose to help generate more sales? What they should have done is drop the kinect, drop the price by $100 and thrown in a 1TB HDD, but the problem with that is that its a huge slap in the face to the core base gamers who paid $500 7 months ago for a 500 HD unit with a kinect that they didnt want. So as usual M$ continues to make mistakes all steming back from E3 where they laid the ground work for choices that will never be right with this console for a long time, they keep tripping over their own shoe laces.

Message 2 of 23 (301 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1862 posts

May 23, 2014

thegreatsquare wrote:

With 40GB games like Wolfenstein , the 500 HDD isn't going to cut it very long. A 1TB hard drive would be better than a $50 price cut [not that the PS4 needs an immenent price cut, but it has to happen eventually], cheaper for Sony and more cost effective to the consumer than doing an aftermarket upgrade themselves.

While a more affordable PS4 will be nice, the PS4 I want to buy has a 1TB HDD off the shelf.

This is exactly what I'm looking for in the next PS4 models! 

With the size of games increasing (and not just Downloadable games - even DISC based games are installing very large file sizes), I was kind of surprised that the starting PS4 model wasn't  1TB, to be honest. 

Message 3 of 23 (290 Views)
Fender Bender
3060 posts

May 23, 2014

I heard Wolfenstein was only 40GB on PC and 17 on PS4.

Message 4 of 23 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
245 posts

May 23, 2014

murphdawg1 wrote:

Nope; a whopping 40 gigs on PS4 (and another 5 gigs for the day one update). The 500 gig drive is gonna run out really fast. In fact, it's almost past the half-way full point on mine. 2 TB drive needs to be mandatory (1 TB at the least). 

Message 5 of 23 (265 Views)
Limit Breaker
25315 posts

May 23, 2014

im waiting for a 2 TB HD to come out that will fit, 1.5 isn't enough. I really need that extra space. i know the first PS3 came out with a smaller one and then latter they had larger HDs but i need larger asap with these huge installs.

I'm here to help. If you have a question feel free to pm me. Idling on IRC is for noobs. Smiley Tongue

Get your Portable ID!
Message 6 of 23 (258 Views)
Fender Bender
3060 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2014

GrnDragn wrote:

murphdawg1 wrote:

Nope; a whopping 40 gigs on PS4 (and another 5 gigs for the day one update). The 500 gig drive is gonna run out really fast. In fact, it's almost past the half-way full point on mine. 2 TB drive needs to be mandatory (1 TB at the least). 

MLB 14 The Show is the biggest game I have at the moment at 47GB. I'll be getting Watch Dogs on Tuesday and I hear that is around 20GB which is comparable with Assassin's Creed IV.

Message 7 of 23 (257 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
5978 posts

[ Edited ]
May 23, 2014

GrnDragn wrote:

murphdawg1 wrote:

Yeah, I saw this happening well before launch and planned accordingly. Bought a 1TB SSHD for cheap and only took me 10 min's to do/install (super easy to replace with any drive you want, even a 1.5TB traditional drive can added in regards to space, I have a guide in my Sig too). Tests show a SSHD is a great middle ground between almost the speed of an SSD but at the price and capacity of a traditional drive. Check my Sig for the test results, but even Digital Foundry agrees.

Even if the PS4 had included a 1TB, I would have done the same thing at launch and replaced the drive with my SSHD immediately.

Message 8 of 23 (246 Views)
Lombax Warrior
201 posts

May 23, 2014
Sony could give us external HDD support and ability to install games on external drives, the end.
I will buy a new 4TB once they announce the news.
Reduce prices for digital edition of games permanently if it is older than 2 years.
Message 9 of 23 (223 Views)
Fender Bender
2546 posts

May 23, 2014

Bowl10 wrote:
Sony could give us external HDD support and ability to install games on external drives, the end.
I will buy a new 4TB once they announce the news.

The PS4 does support external Hard Drives. 

Message 10 of 23 (210 Views)