Nov 05 2007
By: jkilby99~ First Son 8 posts

Buzz Buzzers: Work On PC?

23 replies 10338 views Edited Nov 5, 2007
Buzz looks like a cool game, but I am actually more interested in the potential use of the buzzers that come with the game.  I was wondering if anyone knew or has played around with the possibility of them working on the PC.  This would be useful for making quiz and game show style presentations on the cheap (quiz bowl or game show-style buzzers are insanely expensive... being able to purchase a 12-person system that has the flexibility of working with a PC using off-the-shelf parts for less than $150 would be awesome).

Specifically:

- Can they be used as a game controller or as some other HID for either a Windows or Linux-based PC?  If it is detected as a game controller, how do the keys map over?  In the case that it isn't detected, are there any drivers or programs out there to make them more useful?

- Is there a limit to how many you can hook up (other than the number of USB ports you have)?

- If I use a USB hub, will it need to be powered (i.e. have an external power supply)?

Thanks for any help... scouring the net hasn't been too helpful (especially when PS2 is close to PS/2 and the word "Buzz" is hardly a uniquely identifying keyword).
Message 1 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2753 posts

Re: Buzz Buzzers: Work On PC?

Nov 5, 2007
Has this game even been released in the US?  I can only find information on the game on UK web sites.  So the UK Playstation forum might have more information or knowledgable people.
-- Want the answer to all of your PS2 online troubles? Check this out!
-- Google and search functions are your best friend.
-- Keep threads in the forum, don't PM me your troubles.

Message 2 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 7, 2007
Yeah, the game came out last week (at least that is what the Internet and the previous Best Buy circular claims).

That's a good idea to check on the UK boards... they've probably had lots of time to tinker with the buzzers given how long the game has been out there.
Message 3 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1058 posts

Nov 11, 2007
I recall hearing somewhere that there are drivers for the BUZZ! buzzers.

however, I don't know where they are or if they can also work with our buzzers.

I'm sure there's one out there somewhere, and that they'll work with any BUZZ! buzzers.

Sorry, and good luck!
Message 4 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Dec 24, 2007
Yes they will! Plug it in and your computer will recognize it as Buzz under game controllers. You need to buy some software to remap the buzzers to work in whatever software you choose.  I'm using Total Game Control for Digital Transforms - http://www.digitaltransforms.com/ Cost 20 bucks. Once you download that software it's a cinch to program the buttons on the buzz controllers. The software will let you detect which key you are pressing on the buzz controllers. Then simply map the key you would want. I programmed mine for Game Show Presenter and it works fine. Total cost was 50 bucks for the controllers, 20 bucks for the Total Game Control and then the Game Show Presenter is 79-144 I think depending on the version.

Good luck - it can be done! I haven't tried it with 3 sets (12 controllers) but maybe you can and let me know.

Bzzzz
Message 5 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Dec 24, 2007
Yeah, I ended up buying Buzz and Windows treats it as a 20-button game controller.  I haven't tried it with my Linux machine yet.

As far as software is concerned, I work in Flash a lot and started building my own program.  I found a utility that converts controller input into keystrokes (since Flash doesn't support controllers).  All I have right now is a simple test program that provides really basic buzzer functionality for three people.  I could do some really fun stuff using it (intergrate games, custom buzzer sound effects, etc.), but I just haven't had the time to play with it.

And I imagine you could keep hooking up buzzer sets until you run out of USB ports... and I'm not sure if Windows has a limit on the number of game controllers one can connect.
Message 6 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 15, 2008

Has somebody tested the new wireless buzzers on a PC? I connect the receiver and Windows recognizes as a game controller named wbuzz with 20 buttons, but when I pressed any of the buttons of the buzzers, nothing happens. Do you know if Sony has put some type of protection?

Thank you.

Message 7 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 9, 2008

Has anyone found a driver for this as yet. I am having the same challenge. I have the wired one and they worked without drivers. This wireles shows up put no response.

Any ideas?

Thank You

Message 8 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 19, 2008
Bumping this thread, as I'm jumping on the "Wireless Buzz Controllers on PC" bandwagon
Message 9 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Oct 27, 2008

Anyone have a solution here...with the ps2 wired ones working, I just assumed...damn...any suggestions?

John

Message 10 of 24 (10,338 Views)
0 Likes