Lombax Warrior
152 posts

Re: Bringing Skype to PS3 and PS4?

[ Edited ]
Jan 24, 2014

Lestat573 wrote:

xTOMMYTROJANx wrote:
Not going to happen seeing as microcrap owns Skype

MS owned Skype before the Vita was released. What's the difference there? There are also Sony apps on the Xbox 360. It's not like these two companies are mortal enemies, they're both just out to make a buck. 

The difference is Sony and Microsoft are directly competing with each other in the game console world. Not only that, Microsoft advertises Skype as one of the main features of the Xbone. As much as I would like to see Skype on PS4 (for those who want it, not me) and as I much as I hate Microsoft I don't expect them to and I wouldn't blame them if they never made Skype for Playstation. That's their trump card. I'm not worried, Sony's PS4 is the best of the two and over the coming months I'm sure we'll see so much more on the PS4 that Xbone users would kill for. 

Message 11 of 27 (690 Views)
Sackboy
489 posts

Jan 24, 2014

I remember in the good old days, we use MSN for video chating. 

Message 12 of 27 (689 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Just to add, I'd love to see Skype on the PS4 as well. My wife uses it quite often to talk to her family 1,000 miles away and it'd be pretty cool if we could easily put them up on the big screen in the living room (82" TV > 16" laptop). I already bought the camera mostly for her so she could check out the play room and so *hopefully* she could use Skype with it someday. 

Message 13 of 27 (689 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
611 posts

Jan 24, 2014

HenryDJP wrote:

The difference is Sony and Microsoft are directly competing with each other in the game console world. Not only that, Microsoft advertises Skype as one of the main features of the Xbone. As much as I would like to see Skype on PS4 (for those who want it, not me) and as I much as I hate Microsoft I don't expect them to and I wouldn't blame them if they never made Skype for Playstation. That's their trump card. I'm not worried, Sony's PS4 is the best of the two and over the coming months I'm sure we'll see so much more on the PS4 that Xbone users would kill for. 

I could be wrong on this (and someone please correct me if I am and you actually can back it up), but the last I checked anyone could buy a license to run Skype on their platform. Including Sony. Kinda like how anyone can use Blu-ray discs for whatever they want (which Sony owns a big part of). What does the X1 use for discs again? 

Like I said, these companies aren't mortal enemies like some people seem to think. Maybe some of their fans are, but the companies are not. If Sony is willing to pay just like everyone else, then they will have a Skype app. Just like they do on the Vita.

Message 14 of 27 (686 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4754 posts

Jan 24, 2014
As for it being on the vita. Do you see Microsoft with a handheld console? Noooo. Therefore in that market they're not in competition with each other so it benefits Microsoft to license it to Sony.

When one of your consoles selling points is only home console to have Skype or NFL app. It makes no sense as a business model to allow your direct competitor to license it

Message 15 of 27 (674 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Never gonna happen.  Skype is owned by microsoft and will stay on Xbox

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 16 of 27 (667 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13410 posts

Jan 24, 2014
Message 17 of 27 (665 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Zinacef wrote:

Surprisingly it may happen - http://www.handytips.info/1567/microsoft-we-want-skype-on-ps4/

I highly Doubt it.  Unless Sony is willing to pay Lots and lots of $$$

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 18 of 27 (663 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8182 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Deadly_Rabbit123 wrote:

Never gonna happen.  Skype is owned by microsoft and will stay on Xbox

Actually, Microsoft promised "to invest in and support Skype clients on non-Microsoft platforms" when they took over Skype.

We had Skype for the PSP and Vita, even after MS took ownership of Skype.

Message 19 of 27 (661 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4754 posts

Jan 24, 2014
Learn to read. Microsoft only allowed it on the handheld devices because they don't have a vested stake in that market. Now if they had a handheld device they would be making Sony pay out the butt for Skype on vita or PSP.

Message 20 of 27 (648 Views)
0 Likes