Ghost of Sparta
13294 posts

Re: Bringing Skype to PS3 and PS4?

Jan 24, 2014

Lestat573 wrote:

HenryDJP wrote:

The difference is Sony and Microsoft are directly competing with each other in the game console world. Not only that, Microsoft advertises Skype as one of the main features of the Xbone. As much as I would like to see Skype on PS4 (for those who want it, not me) and as I much as I hate Microsoft I don't expect them to and I wouldn't blame them if they never made Skype for Playstation. That's their trump card. I'm not worried, Sony's PS4 is the best of the two and over the coming months I'm sure we'll see so much more on the PS4 that Xbone users would kill for. 

I could be wrong on this (and someone please correct me if I am and you actually can back it up), but the last I checked anyone could buy a license to run Skype on their platform. Including Sony. Kinda like how anyone can use Blu-ray discs for whatever they want (which Sony owns a big part of). What does the X1 use for discs again? 

Like I said, these companies aren't mortal enemies like some people seem to think. Maybe some of their fans are, but the companies are not. If Sony is willing to pay just like everyone else, then they will have a Skype app. Just like they do on the Vita.

They are not mortal enemies but Sony may not pay the physical proces that MS will ask to make an app. Seeing MS owns Skype im sure they wil charge Sony a hefty price for the app and access. They be stupid not to.

Message 21 of 27 (3,434 Views)
Fender Bender
3436 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Black0Panther wrote:

Lestat573 wrote:

HenryDJP wrote:

The difference is Sony and Microsoft are directly competing with each other in the game console world. Not only that, Microsoft advertises Skype as one of the main features of the Xbone. As much as I would like to see Skype on PS4 (for those who want it, not me) and as I much as I hate Microsoft I don't expect them to and I wouldn't blame them if they never made Skype for Playstation. That's their trump card. I'm not worried, Sony's PS4 is the best of the two and over the coming months I'm sure we'll see so much more on the PS4 that Xbone users would kill for. 

I could be wrong on this (and someone please correct me if I am and you actually can back it up), but the last I checked anyone could buy a license to run Skype on their platform. Including Sony. Kinda like how anyone can use Blu-ray discs for whatever they want (which Sony owns a big part of). What does the X1 use for discs again? 

Like I said, these companies aren't mortal enemies like some people seem to think. Maybe some of their fans are, but the companies are not. If Sony is willing to pay just like everyone else, then they will have a Skype app. Just like they do on the Vita.

They are not mortal enemies but Sony may not pay the physical proces that MS will ask to make an app. Seeing MS owns Skype im sure they wil charge Sony a hefty price for the app and access. They be stupid not to.

It is somewhere on those grounds for sure..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 22 of 27 (3,428 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 24, 2014

This article was posted earlier in the thread, but it's obvious to me that it wsa glossed over.  Microsoft wants Skype on the PS4, and, given the Vita license, along with the leverage on the market Sony currently has, it is more than a solid possibility - it's likely just a matter of time:

http://www.handytips.info/1567/microsoft-we-want-skype-on-ps4/

Grindhead_Jim

Message 23 of 27 (3,417 Views)
Wastelander
674 posts

Jan 24, 2014

I'm bookmarking this thread so I can come back and bump it in a few months or so when there's a Skype app on the PS4. Smiley Wink

Message 24 of 27 (3,409 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Jan 24, 2014

Lestat573 wrote:

I'm bookmarking this thread so I can come back and bump it in a few months or so when there's a Skype app on the PS4. Smiley Wink

Uh, no.  No need to necrobump the thing.  When it arrives, you can make a new thread, then link this one if you want, but, necroposting on this one would be, well... tacky.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 25 of 27 (3,403 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
674 posts

Jan 24, 2014

I was mostly joking. Unless it's actually included with the next update then I highly doubt I'll even remember this thread once it's added.

Message 26 of 27 (3,400 Views)
Highlighted
I Only Post Everything
1083 posts

Jan 25, 2014

Wow! nice to see that was a good point to discuss on 

Don't worry people, if Skype comes,good and if not we have better things and definitly some great more coming

I just wanted to read what were your opinions and I'm glad for your participation Smiley Happy

Message 27 of 27 (3,381 Views)
0 Likes