Highlighted
Nov 22 2012
By: Katzenbach Splicer 70 posts

Bring back Skate or Die!

4 replies 81 views Edited Nov 22, 2012

Ok.  I'm a child of the 80s so naturally my allegiance lies with classic old school games like Super Mario Bros., Donkey Kong, Q*Bert, Pitfall, etc, etc.  That's not to say I don't like modern gaming.  There are several PS1 and PS2 games I loved as well but with the latest console out now, PS3, I'm starting to feel my age as most games just seem too complicated for me to play.  Sad I know.  Lord knows I try but the controls are just too complex sometimes!  There are days when I definitely miss the old 2-button controllers.  lol

Anyway, I mentioned all of this because recently I am missing another classic game, Skate or Die.  This was a great skateboarding game!  While it wasn't realistic like Tony Hawk's games, it was very popular back in the day and I remember groups of fellow classmates all crowded around a Apple computer or even a NES cheering on the current player waiting for their turn.  These days, it seems like a trend for companies to bring back the classics and put them on the PSN.  So, I ask "why not Skate or Die"?  I would even settle for a modern upgrade.  Maybe something along the lines of how they updated Double Dragon.

Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 5 (81 Views)
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Re: Bring back Skate or Die!

Nov 23, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed Skate or Die, back in the day.  I was disappointed in the NES though, regarding the translation of awesome arcade games, into the console.  I guesses it was just the reality, due to limitations of the console.

Remembering back though, Skate or Die did make a pretty good transition to the console.  I also enjoyed T&C Surf Shop.  Similar game, but that one encompassed skating, surfing, and a couple of other extreme sports.  I even had all the Surf Monster T-Shirts.  Classics.

This being said, I would not mind seeing some kind of bundle for around $10.  Otherwise, I couldn't see myself paying more than a buck for any of the NES games.  Even more, I would rather pay less than that.

Good idea, just the same.  (Licensing would be the ultimate factor though)

Moble

Message 2 of 5 (64 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Nov 23, 2012

As far as I know, Skate or Die wasn't a Ninento exclusive.  It was a Electronic Arts/Ultra Games product.  That's why I'm wondering if or when it will be released on the PSN.

Message 3 of 5 (58 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4421 posts

Nov 23, 2012

I would definitely welcome it.  I would probably get sick of playing it quickly, but it would be fun for a while.

To further your idea; what if PSN provided an "arcade"?  I don't know what the logistics would be on something like it, but it could be a rotating stock of old console and arcade games, available through the online server.  You would not have to download a whole game, only pay a "credit" of some kind and play arcade style.

This way, they could continue to provide classics like Skate or Die and others, without any long term licensing commitment.  Again, I am not sure it is feasible, but your suggestion reminded me of going to the arcade at the mall and at the roller rink and playing for hours.  Ah, the good old days.  Oh well, just an added idea.

Moble

Message 4 of 5 (56 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
70 posts

Nov 24, 2012

It's funny you mention that because there are similar ideas for the iOS.  I can't remember if it Activision, Midway, Atari, etc but one of those classic video game companies has set up an app that is free to download.  The main screen is just as you described where you see all the classic games set up like arcade machines that you select through but in order to play any of them you have to pay.

Message 5 of 5 (50 Views)
0 Likes