Dec 09 2012
By: EugSk8er First Son 2 posts

Bring OtherOS back!

60 replies 572 views Edited Dec 9, 2012

Ok so, honestly, what happened to that. I realize that Sony got scared of a few hackers, but they're a multi billion dollar international company. That was a feature that a lot of people used and loved. One reason why I got my Playstation. When you force people to make the decision of updating for online play or stick with the old, you make many enemies. I have thought of downgrading my Playstation just for that feature. I just got to say, you guys messed up bad by doing that. When the next Xbox and PS4 come out and the PS4 doesn't have an OtherOs feature but the Xbox does, sales will be lower than they could be for the Playstation. I'll be honest too, if the Xbox has that feature I'll gladly say goodbye to Sony and never look back. Come on also, with all the employees Sony has and the profits, they could easily afford to throw that feature back in, but also do some coding stuff to prevent helping hackers with the PS3 or PS4. I realize Sony is a foreign company, but here in America if you give up on freedoms for security, your a traitor and a coward. More freedoms = happier customers. And come one, even after taking out the OtherOS feature you still got hacked and the network was down for almost a month.

Sincerely,

annoyed and on edge Playstation Customer

Everybody else throw in your outrage also to get this feature back!

Message 1 of 61 (572 Views)
MVP Support
9308 posts

Re: Bring OtherOS back!

Dec 9, 2012
less than 1% of the userbase used that option. I'd say it's completely useless.
Message 2 of 61 (562 Views)
VP of Gaming
28842 posts

Dec 9, 2012

No. 

Partition your PC or install a secondary drive, and install what ever alternative operating system your heart desires on it.  The OtherOS feature is not coming back. 

Message 3 of 61 (561 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24785 posts

Dec 9, 2012
Message 4 of 61 (550 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Dec 9, 2012

i would love to have the feature back as well but it just isn't going to happen without modding..

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 5 of 61 (544 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Dec 9, 2012

EugSk8er wrote:

Ok so, honestly, what happened to that. I realize that Sony got scared of a few hackers, but they're a multi billion dollar international company. That was a feature that a lot of people used and loved. One reason why I got my Playstation. When you force people to make the decision of updating for online play or stick with the old, you make many enemies. I have thought of downgrading my Playstation just for that feature. I just got to say, you guys messed up bad by doing that. When the next Xbox and PS4 come out and the PS4 doesn't have an OtherOs feature but the Xbox does, sales will be lower than they could be for the Playstation. I'll be honest too, if the Xbox has that feature I'll gladly say goodbye to Sony and never look back. Come on also, with all the employees Sony has and the profits, they could easily afford to throw that feature back in, but also do some coding stuff to prevent helping hackers with the PS3 or PS4. I realize Sony is a foreign company, but here in America if you give up on freedoms for security, your a traitor and a coward. More freedoms = happier customers. And come one, even after taking out the OtherOS feature you still got hacked and the network was down for almost a month.

Sincerely,

annoyed and on edge Playstation Customer

Everybody else throw in your outrage also to get this feature back!

Based on your profile (http://psnprofiles.com/EugSk8er), you didn't get your PS3 until Christmas 2010, probably a PS3 Slim 160GB. 

The point being, only fat PS3s had the ability run otherOS in the first place. PS3 Slims never had the option of otherOS, and this was well before the PSN hacking scandel. 

Also why in the world would the next Xbox ever have an other OS option? They never had it in their prior console (legally), so it makes absolutely no sense why they would have it. That part doesn't make any sense...

Message 6 of 61 (542 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Dec 9, 2012

Tell us... what was OtherOS benefit?

From what Logical has said, you never even KNEW it existed. And judging by your thread, you're outraged from what someone else told you...

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 61 (532 Views)
Fender Bender
4131 posts

Dec 9, 2012

ne1atall wrote:

I wish they would bring the forum search feature back!!!!

No one ever uses it, and it's not coming back!

---

Btw - none of us used otherOS to do any PC/office/multimedia things. We used it to compile and run spu-code. 

Message 8 of 61 (525 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2609 posts

Dec 9, 2012

NO.png

Deadly Neurotoxin!
 photo rsz_1rsz_11rsz_1000px-fpsword_zps44b9ca31.png
Message 9 of 61 (519 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender