Hekseville Citizen
376 posts

Re: Boycott Vita Memory

Dec 3, 2011

I understand but like you said NOT ALL games can save on its own cartridge which means sony is forcing us to buy a memory card. It might not be only for save datas, what if games in the future are required to be played on a certain VITA Version? Basicaly Sony is forcing us to buy it since the VITA itself don't have internal memory. The fact that NOT ALL game will be able to have their own storage for Save Data or DLC blows. If ALL the games have enough space for their Save Data and bring the installation for the new updates then it would be fine. Then the Memory Card will be used for PSN games and DLC but Sony decided that the memory card is no longer an accessory and instead made it a NECESSITY, and slapping us with that price don't help.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Message 21 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

Dec 3, 2011

If those prices are indeed true, then they are too overpriced! I am disappointed to be honest.

Message 22 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
190 posts

Dec 3, 2011

Its not as bad as the memory stick pro duos for the psp back when they first launched. Overpriced? yes, but it could have been worse, especially since they have to mass produce this all new memory card.

Message 23 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
98 posts

Dec 3, 2011

I for one dont have a problem with the memory card prices. reason is i do not download video, game, or music content from the store for the simple fact i do not own it the physical copy i do own i can let anyone I want hold it or i can trade it in towards something else with online content you can not its not even yours your barrowing it at full price. i can also back up my data on the ps3 and i do not need a 32 gig that is silly for a portable device it seems like in this market you put a number up and the ppl come a storming to it regardless of how they came up with the numbers or even if its worth it. With that said I will not boycott the ps vita memory. I know what sony usually go for and that is low sales high profit they do not care for masses its only if they are turning over a decent profit if they always been that way and not all there propieitaries lost for instance look at blue ray. There is a reason they come out with beta, duo, dvd+ its faster and better then the competition they not the only company look at apple they more strict then sony. People flock to them like angry birds and there is much better and cheaper out there. Apple has a stupid ammount of money.

Long live play!

Get your Portable ID!
Message 24 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
276 posts

Dec 3, 2011

More like what everyone who doesnt care has been saying. People with money to spend vs people who complain about nothing. For 1% reason just to feel better when someone else joins them. Sadly enough 50% on here do not think like you and say they just dont care about the 32. They HAVE to complain and bs about it. Apple is just another trend. IAudio came out before the Ishit has been from apple. Yet since its AMURICAN everyones flocking to it.

To be honest we are paying A LOT LESS than we should be. Japans 80 dollar single games, 60 dollar psp games, 100 dollar euro games. etc. We are A TON better off

Message 25 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
48 posts

Dec 3, 2011

The only people that think the reason Vita cards is so expensive is because of piracy are either (a) idiots, (b) children or (c) blind fanbois. Sony is using the profit from the memory cards to help offset the losses they will incur on the sale of each Vita console (that's why such items are called "loss leaders" in business parlance). That in and of itself is not he problem, its the fact that they make the memory cards mandatory. I have already spoken at lenght about this in my other thread.

The bottom line is that Sony is badly mishandling the launch of the VIta and, no matter how attractive the Sony engineering staff makes the hardware, the dolts in Sony's management team will figure out a way to f**k up the product with bad business decisions.

Message 26 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Dec 4, 2011

I think this is all speculation right now.  We don't know what these cards are yet.  For all we know, they may be of the UHS class of memory cards (look them up, they're quite expensive).  Combine that with custom scripting software to prevent piracy, and it's not so bad to see why they're so high.

As for the comment about making the units more affordable.... yeah, it's not that simple when it comes to electronics.  Hardware development, software development, manufacturing implementation, yield numbers, etc. all plays a role in the final price... especially when the company takes a loss.  Even if you development a new way to manufacture them cheaper, you still have to make up for the cost of the old way and the development of the old way.  It's not like the money spent on the inefficient process is magically made up when the efficient process comes around.  With every new technology venture, the first rounds are expensive.  You can't immediately jump to efficient and practical without first learning from the inefficient and impractical.  I can tell you first hand that not all electronic devices can be built the same way.  On a given board, the vast majority of the board can be built at a typical temperature, but then certain components need to be assembled at a very specific temperature otherwise the yield rates suffer (any type of sensor falls into this category).

I agree with the sentiment that making them required is a problem, but I don't think it's that serious.  Take Golden Abyss... do you really think you're going to need a GIG of memory for a game save?  Even on the PS3, game saves are only a few MB or so.  Now, if they install files on the memory card, then it depends on much space that takes up.

What I'm getting at is this...  Even for games who require extra memory, I honestly feel that 4GB will be MORE than enough to accommodate a decent library of them.  Further, for every 10 or 100 games, how many of them will really need the extra space?  So far, I've only heard of a few.

I honestly feel that the larger cards are for DLC, DLed games, and other media (music, movies).

And just for perspective, I have one of the original PS3 with only a 60GB HD.  I do NOT download a lot of games and I still have more than 10GB of space left.  Mind you, I have a game library of about 30 games (not including games I've traded) and all of their installation files and game saves are still on the HD.  If I downloaded a lot more content (movies and games), then I would have blown 60GB out of the water by now.

Now, I do intend to download a lot of games for the PS Vita (to avoid carrying around those little bitty cards and losing them).  I do not know how much space a single game will take up, but even I must admit... games, movies, music.  Yeah, I don't see 32GB going very far.  Really hope a 64GB or 128GB comes out.

Message 27 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2090 posts

Dec 4, 2011

if you guys and girls that are boycotting the ps vita. to do it correctly if you want anything changed or care. you get a group together then all send a email or mail to sony.

if you were to do that then things have a chance to change. sony can go seeing all the mail about the one topic and go oh crap we messed up lets change it. since they would see how many lost sales as well with all the letters and mail.  I bet though none of you will do that so nothing will change.

(funny how the people supporting the boycott of the ps vita never or have not supported the ps vita forums at all or did very little. seems like they just came to rant. as in they would of never bought the system anyway.)

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/ideas/2012/07/21/option-to-buy-avatars-on-my-playstation-vita/
Message 28 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
276 posts

Dec 4, 2011

Well in the end everyone falls to Sony. Like the craziness of Catherine! Freaking hard as midgets. I think you need around 100,000 emails or such to have a movement. Something about Darfur, one guy in california had crates of letters. Only after all the letters in crates were given to the governer at one time he passed a bill to stop accepting trades for oil.

Message 29 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
1507 posts

Dec 4, 2011

LMAO...good luck!.....    goodman02_johnnyQuest.gif

Old Gamers Don't Die... They Re Spawn...
Message 30 of 36 (40 Views)
0 Likes