Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 27 2012
By: Benzagel First Son 3 posts

Blue-ray playback question regarding image ratios.

8 replies 68 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

Hello PS3 Gurus. So I decided to get an actual blueray movie and test it out on my TV. My TV is a Sony Bravia Model KDL-46EX500.

http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-46EX500/en/p/KDL46EX500

Which is full 1080p aith a 16x9 aspect ratio.

The Blue-ray I am trying out is The Cabin in the Woods on blue-ray. Which is also a 16x9 aspect ratio. So from the numbers the movie should not letterbox on the screen. But the video itself (AFTER TRAILERS) is letterboxing on the screen when I play it. But the trailers part was full screen and looked awesome.

Is there any settings that is messed up for the playback of hte movie? Of course using a PS3 to play the movie.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (68 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28655 posts

Re: Blue-ray playback question regarding image ratios.

Dec 27, 2012

Benzagel wrote:

Hello PS3 Gurus. So I decided to get an actual blueray movie and test it out on my TV. My TV is a Sony Bravia Model KDL-46EX500.

http://store.sony.com/p/KDL-46EX500/en/p/KDL46EX500

Which is full 1080p aith a 16x9 aspect ratio.

The Blue-ray I am trying out is The Cabin in the Woods on blue-ray. Which is also a 16x9 aspect ratio. So from the numbers the movie should not letterbox on the screen. But the video itself (AFTER TRAILERS) is letterboxing on the screen when I play it. But the trailers part was full screen and looked awesome.

Is there any settings that is messed up for the playback of hte movie? Of course using a PS3 to play the movie.

Welcome to the PlayStation Community.

Have you looked at your settings on the XMB menu to see if they're all set correctly?

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3538 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Nope.

The BD is 2.39:1 ratio as it was filmed and is how the director intended it. 16/9 Will cut of the footage the director has filmed.

ms35.png

You will also lose quality zooming to 16/9. DVD is crap quality now, so directors will use pan and scan for anamoprhic 16/9 and cut the film area.

US dvds are reduced down to 480p so viewer won't notice the quality drop any way...  

This is also how the film should have been shown at the cinema in its native format... You should not even see the bars with the lights off.. Same as cinema... 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (57 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Ya for blueray, the settings on there is using HDMI and for blueray it should be fine.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (56 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Graphite. So if I put full mode on the TV during movie playing... it doesnt really SEEM to strectch the faces.... (or it is and i am not really seeing a huge difference).

damnit why cant this stuff jsut be 1 standard lol.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (51 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3538 posts

Dec 28, 2012

2.39 : 1 is standard for films, 16/9 is film studio doing things cheap. Most of Disney films are 16/9 as its cheaper to Animate for cinema. the kids won't notice or care.  Unlike dreamworks who were set up by directors to make films. so normaly do 2.39:1 BD releases.  

But jerry bruckheimer live action films under disney deal will be 2.39:1 because its live action.   

BD is for those who wanted cinema at home...

Its TV  broadcasting that was at fault. Bandwith of the radio frequencies meant they cut the screen size down.

And still do most broadcasts are only 720p upscaled to 1080i.  It saves money..

Cinema has been alot  wider 2.55:1 and 2.93:1 in the past for films.

The 8K HDTVs  (NO 8k , 4k is allready out of date. Japan has allready moved on) are 2.39:1 as thats nearer how  we see the world..

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (40 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7925 posts

Dec 28, 2012

Movies are typically shot at an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 (47:20 if you prefer to see it in the same context as 16:9).  This is the theatrical standard.  Blu-rays are standardized for the typical 16:9 HDTV.  It's up to the movie studio whether or not they convert the film to the 16:9 aspect ratio to utilize the home viewers TV sets, or to preserve the film's original aspect ratio.  James Cameron chose to convert Avatar to 16:9 for the 3D Blu-ray release.

In any case, most Blu-rays give you the choice of formats in which to view the film.  If you choose the 16:9 (Pan and Scan) option, you will only be viewing a portion of the whole screen, which is fine for viewing close ups of the people in the film, but doesn't do things like space battles and other 'pull back' shots any favors.  If you choose the original aspect ratio of the film, it will letterbox your screen.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3538 posts

Dec 28, 2012
BBurgSteve wrote:

In any case, most Blu-rays give you the choice of formats in which to view the film.  If you choose the 16:9 (Pan and Scan) option, you will only be viewing a portion of the whole screen, which is fine for viewing close ups of the people in the film, but doesn't do things like space battles and other 'pull back' shots any favors.  If you choose the original aspect ratio of the film, it will letterbox your screen.

NO blu-ray disk Ive played EVER have given me the choice in screen set up. Audio choice only . Are you sure its not a DVD burned to blu-ray then sold cheaper... unless you mean the hardware player switch, thats not a solution as it disables HD and only displays at 720*480p.

DVDs did give you a screen size menu. when it was back in SDTV days were, it was FULLSCREEN or Widescreen but then they moved to seperate DVDs per versions, then move to extended widescreen collectors edition or just crap cheap version that filled up trade in bins.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (33 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7925 posts

Dec 28, 2012

GraphiteGB wrote:
BBurgSteve wrote:

NO blu-ray disk Ive played EVER have given me the choice in screen set up. Audio choice only . Are you sure its not a DVD burned to blu-ray then sold cheaper... unless you mean the hardware player switch, thats not a solution as it disables HD and only displays at 720*480p.

DVDs did give you a screen size menu. when it was back in SDTV days were, it was FULLSCREEN or Widescreen but then they moved to seperate DVDs per versions, then move to extended widescreen collectors edition or just crap cheap version that filled up trade in bins.

I stand corrected...  you are right, I was thinking of my DVDs (I still have many more DVDs than Blu-rays and that's what I was thinking of).

I haven't bought a whole lot of Blu-rays, mainly due to cost.  Lately, I've been renting videos from the PSN Store and Vudu.  If there's been something I've really wanted to see and missed it at the theaters, I'll basically just rent it.  Ended up having to buy Avatar 3D for the simple fact that it will likely never make it to any of the streaming options (the fact that a local store had it on sale for $15 didn't hurt, either).

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (28 Views)
0 Likes