Nov 17 2012
By: Blake_83 First Son 26 posts

Blu ray drive

12 replies 162 views Edited Nov 17, 2012
First time post:
I have a 60gb ps3 and last week it wouldn't play my blu ray movies it played games/DVD my system was running hot! I took it apart cleaned it applied new thermal paste (artic silver 5) now it won't play blu ray movies or games but still plays DVD, I've done every restore out there I even replaced the laser and no luck same issue, could the over heating cause the blu ray circut board to fry and is there something else I'm not seeing,

System runs nice now the fan dosnt kick to high gear and only plays DVD

Blu ray movies and games don't work it spins the disc then slows then spins then slows then stops
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (162 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
14994 posts

Re: Blu ray drive

Nov 17, 2012

did you replace the laser with the same model?

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (152 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7507 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Did you only replace the laser, and not the whole drive?

If you only replaced the laser, you might have either (1) put the laser out of alignment or (2) the BD Board is the faulty part and not the laser.

If you have replaced the whole drive, did you transplant the BD Board?
FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (146 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Nov 17, 2012
I only replaced the laser, how do I know if it's out of alignment ? It seemed pretty simple to replace 4 screws and out it came then reverse, I have the drive taken apart and when I put a blu ray disc I can see the blu light flicker and skip
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (145 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Yup same model laser, KEM400AAA and on the laser it says KES400 same as original one that came out
Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7507 posts

Nov 17, 2012

Blake_83 wrote:
I only replaced the laser, how do I know if it's out of alignment ? It seemed pretty simple to replace 4 screws and out it came then reverse, I have the drive taken apart and when I put a blu ray disc I can see the blu light flicker and skip

How tight your screws are, how much torque you applied, and even which order you take out and put the screws back in could affect it.

That said, it isn't a common problem. Did you oil up the tracks and gears as you inserted the laser head?

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice: 16SVoaaAfWtywpQ9GDqqzfoyGvt21XCB6M
Dogecoin is nice too: DU6DPv41zfqbSwvFz8LKYhVcgLsX85B3My
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (134 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Nov 17, 2012
I bought a whole new assembly not just the laser, that being said I nvr oil the tracks and I didn't torque the screws I'm sure it's not align right but it still plays DVD though so if it wasn't align right I assume it wouldn't play anything,
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (129 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Nov 17, 2012

it is not your playstation... after the 4.31 update many pepople including me can not play some disk based games.  dvd's,music and online games work fine.  sometime's  if you leave your playstaion on for about ten min. with the game in you can eject,insert and it will reconize it. software problems suck...

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (117 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
26 posts

Nov 17, 2012
Really? I took that thing apart I broke the blu ray drive by accident and even bought a new laser, and your saying it could be the update that caused it?? I'm guessing Sony wont admit to this?
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (114 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

Nov 17, 2012

They aren't admitting yet. Keep contacting tech support until they acknowledge us

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (110 Views)
0 Likes