Mar 28 2013
By: Sacryd First Son 7 posts

Black sharpie-like spot on brand new disc

16 replies 387 views Edited Mar 28, 2013

I just purchased BioShock Infinite yesterday. It's been in the system un-touched until finishing the game just now and removing it. Problem is now there's a pretty large black spot covering the right side of the disc and I have no clue what it is. I've tried searching around and haven't found anything like it, so I'm at a wall. It really looks like the disc was colored on with a sharpie and it smudges off when I run my finger over it. I have a 500gb Slim (the slimmer slim?)  that I got brand new not even two weeks ago. Halp!

Blackmarkdisc

Message 1 of 17 (387 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Re: Black sharpie-like spot on brand new disc

Mar 28, 2013
Whoa, never seen that before.

Try inserting a CD you don't care about into the PS3. Does the same thing happen?

And, does the game still play?
Message 2 of 17 (359 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1013 posts

Mar 28, 2013
Sounds to me like since it doesn't go all the way around the disc, somebody went and messed with your game. If it was from the system it would be all around the disc, not on just one side. If it comes off when you gently rub the game, then clean the disk with a glasses cleaning cloth and make sure it still reads. If it does, then you'll probably be fine.

I don't think that the disc itself is unbalanced because if it was, it would shatter from vibration. This pretty much only leaves tampering since the disc spins inside the system and any burns and/or debris would be all over the disc and fragments would be in the disk tray (burn dust, or plastic shards).
My PSN
Message 3 of 17 (356 Views)
Big Daddy
16824 posts

[ Edited ]
Mar 28, 2013

It does look like you had a kid come over and they had ejected the disc by accident and decided to use it as a coloring book....

Furiously Chaosing
Message 4 of 17 (327 Views)
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

he has the first lightscribe PS3..LOL

gta5 photo: GTAV banner gta5_banner.jpg
Message 5 of 17 (319 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Mar 28, 2013

Thanks for the replies, but I'm sure the system did something here. I have no kids and it's just me and the wife, so there was no tampering. My best guess is the system may have gotten warm while I was installing BioShock from the disc. Not sure if the system deposited that gunk or if the label got hot and melted or something, I have no clue. It hasn't done it to anything since though.

Message 6 of 17 (310 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

i wonder if it may have actually been some residual grease for the plastic drive assembly..

Message 7 of 17 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8172 posts

Mar 28, 2013

kythunder wrote:

i wonder if it may have actually been some residual grease for the plastic drive assembly..

That's got to be a heck of a lot of grease left in the drive to blacken it like that.

To Sacryd:

Speaking of which, do you find more of this black stuff inside the drive or on other discs you put in?

Message 8 of 17 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

kythunder wrote:

That's got to be a heck of a lot of grease left in the drive to blacken it like that.

To Sacryd:

Speaking of which, do you find more of this black stuff inside the drive or on other discs you put in?

i agree but thats really all it could be unless somebody messed with his stuff but he said nobody else is around to do that...Quality control must had been taking a nap that day..

Message 9 of 17 (275 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3105 posts

Mar 28, 2013

the way it looks it was like it was layed on there during the insertion of the disk..

Message 10 of 17 (271 Views)
0 Likes