Oct 25 2012
By: LOTUSELISEGUY First Son 2 posts

Black screen with HDMI Help Ive tried nearly everything

6 replies 127 views Edited Oct 25, 2012

Ok heres the info.

I just bought a second ps3,  its an older fat but not the first gen(doesn't have the card readers etc).  I have an original fat that the gpu is now shot.  I bought a slim to replace that one.

Anyway, the slim is hooked to my main tv through hdmi, functions perfectly.  I took the newly aquired fat to my bedroom set everything up with the components and used it for the night, everything works as it should.  Then today I decide to hook it up right and use the HDMI to no avail. just black screen.

This is what I have tried:

Soft reset for the video with both cables connected, detecs hdmi, pick yes, nothing.  Reset again, tried going through the menu manually, same deal.  

Tried my other ps3 in the bedroom, it works.  Tried the fat in the living room, still doesn't workt.  I tried unplugging the tv and letting it do a reset.  I tried ps3 system restore, I tried ps3 file restore.

Anyone have any suggestions I may not have already tried.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
416 posts

Re: Black screen with HDMI Help Ive tried nearly everything

[ Edited ]
Oct 25, 2012

This happened to me when I bought my ps3 slim.I got a brand new expensive hdmi cable and all i got was a black screen.It worked at first but when I updated my new slim for the first time everything went black.So I hooked up my old HDMI that I was using for years on my crap box and it worked just fine.Took the expensive one back and got my money back.I heard there is really no difference in HDMI cables..But I always wondered why that HDMI didnt work..was it the update.It worked before the update...

Photobucket
Crap Box.. it only does everything poorly and charges you for it.
Message 2 of 7 (125 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

well 2 different tvs with 2 different cables same results...

Oct 25, 2012

well 2 different tvs with 2 different cables same results, so I doubt its the cable but I have other cables so I will try them out to be sure.

Message 3 of 7 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Oct 26, 2012
Know if ur switching from component cables to hdmi ur supposed to hook up the hdmi while the system is off then press and hold the power button on the ps3 until it beeps, then let go. Should ask if u want to use the hdmi and if you can read the.screen. sorry if you've tried already just my 2 cents
Message 4 of 7 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Oct 26, 2012
And I buy my Ethernet cables and hdmis off eBay for super cheap, haven't failed me yet, 2 years and counting. I laugh when I see the prices for them at retail stores lol
Message 5 of 7 (104 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1041 posts

Oct 26, 2012

I have noticed the cables that come with the PS3 aren't that great or easily break. I have gone through several, just from placing them in bags to take to LAN parties or just hooking them up and slightly bending them.

My little brother's PS3 had the same problem with the cables that came with it, I always knew it was the cable though. Hopefully that is what it is for you.

I mean if it ain't the cables or you can't properly choose what setting to put it on, I would then assume yea the fatty might have just died out.

Message 6 of 7 (97 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Oct 26, 2012
Really? I'm still using the component cables from my ps2 on my ps3. I'm using pc headset so I have to use them to get soundto work
Message 7 of 7 (85 Views)
0 Likes