Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 25 2011
By: soldierone Hekseville Citizen 390 posts

Black Friday "sale" = Why I hate Digital Stores

1 replies 12 views Edited Nov 25, 2011

I don't know if it has yet to update the prices or what, but this is a PERFECT example on why I hate the idea of video games going digital.

Supposedly there is a "Black Friday Sale" for movies and TV shows on PSN right? Well I think "sweet I can go get those movies for cheap without going back into hell," as the email suggests. So I go check it out only to not find a single item actually on sale....

The movies like Green Lantern are still overpriced for digital, 12.99 for HD to own it, 14.99 for SD. Somehow that makes sense I guess....and 20 bucks to own them both. Its a "sale" based off the already exagerated prices they have, but not in general. Bestbuy AND Walmart had the same movie on Blu ray with the DVD and digital copy (HD + SD basically) for 10 bucks, 10 BUCKS! That is a friggin sale. These other out dated movies were all under 10, most were 5.

I'd like to see the argument side of this on why digital cost the same, or more in most cases, and explain why in detail. Makes no sense. They (no I'm not blaming Sony at all as they only list things as they are told) are making nothing but profit off digital. No cases, no discs, no third man bargains, no shipping. They pay a bandwith fee and go on with life.

Now imagine the entire video game market in this area. Steam handles things rather well, but imagine "black friday" sales where instead of actually getting games for a steal of a price you are getting them at prices they should already be at. We all know how greedy publishers are becoming, you can't say this won't happen and is the main reason they all want it to happen. The very same reason we as consumers shouldn't allow it to slide.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 2 (12 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3985 posts

Re: Black Friday "sale" = Why I hate Digital Stores

Nov 25, 2011

soldierone wrote:

I'd like to see the argument side of this on why digital cost the same, or more in most cases, and explain why in detail. Makes no sense. They (no I'm not blaming Sony at all as they only list things as they are told) are making nothing but profit off digital. No cases, no discs, no third man bargains, no shipping. They pay a bandwith fee and go on with life.

the only thing i'll comment on here is the fact that it is not all profit. the movie cost 200 million to make, the studios front this money as an investment, then expect to make that money back on tickets at theatre, then also the money made from dvd/br sales. in the case of your example, sony pictures didn't make this movie so they've had to buy the rights from dc entertainment to put it on sale on the psn, so they only make a profit off of the small % they've marked the movie up after covering the costs of the liscensing.

when digital becomes more mainstream and the studios see that they can still make money off of it, then we'll start to see prices drop, until then it's the same as everything else. if you want to be an early adopter of *any* tech, you will pay the premium price for it.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 2 (12 Views)
0 Likes