Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Nov 14 2010
By: Bookhouseboy First Son 6 posts

Big dark square on my screen (burn-in?)

9 replies 861 views Edited Nov 14, 2010

Hi guys, 

My first post is unfortunately about a strange issue with my PSP Slim screen.

A while ago I discovered that there was a darker area on the screen formed as a square (rectangular). Since it's pretty much perfectly symmetrical, my guess is that it's a burn-in from some sort of menu. I would say that the square covers about 90% of the screen (equally to all sides), and  the corners are round. It's easier to see it while playing a dark game (GoW for example), which I find peculiar. When the screen displays bright colors, I can hardly see it at all. Fortunately, there's no problem seeing behind the square, and the graphics doesn't seem to be affected, so I have no problem playing games. Still, I see it and it's kinda annoying. I've tried the "white image cure", but it didn't work. Maybe I did something wrong, I don't know. 

Just a thought: Could the dark square be the "healthy" part of the screen, while the lighter area is the "sick" part?

I would be very grateful for any information or help regarding this problem. 

Message 1 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1482 posts

Re: Big dark square on my screen (burn-in?)

Nov 14, 2010

My laptop screen is the same. Someone sat on it.

The explaination is that one of the many reflective layers in the screen's backlight system is probably warped a bit.

It's no big deal, unless it really bothers you.

If it was the screen itself, (and not the backlight,) the effects would be more drastic.

Bawk at my brilliant PSPgo
Message 2 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 14, 2010

Thanks for the explanation. It doesn't really bother me that much, so I won't be buying a new PSP because of it, but I just wanted to make sure if there was anything I could do on my own to fix the problem. Now I'll just man up and live with it. Thanks again. 

Message 3 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12473 posts

Nov 14, 2010

Um, if it's a PSP-3000, that square might be the square that's on ALL PSP-3000s. There is a slight what I call "border" on the PSP-3000 screen.

I saw it the day I bought it. And on my friend's PSP-3000. So yeah.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 14, 2010

Heh, I've done some Googling now, and yeah, it's exactly the same phenomenon. Anything I can do? Thanks for taking time to inform me. 

Message 5 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
12473 posts

Nov 14, 2010

No, that's just part of the screen. It's not that noticeable, I only really saw it the first few days I got it (since i was used to the psp-1000). After that I can't really see it unless I look for it.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
16754 posts

Nov 14, 2010

LCD displays can't have problems with burn-in.  There is no phosphorescent surface for an image to burn in to.  Burn-in can only happen on CRT or plasma displays. Your problem is something else.

GKP
Message 7 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 15, 2010
Okay, thanks for clearing that up. In most games it's not really visible, but I've been playing GoW: GoS the last few days, and since it's a pretty dark game, the boarder is more prominent, but it's no big deal, really.
Message 8 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Nov 15, 2010
gkpama00:
You've got a good point. I too have read that burn-ins are practically impossible on LCD screens. I didn't think of that.
Message 9 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Mar 5, 2011

I beg to differ. Come over and look at mine where my GT5 place grids are clearly visible when I watch other programming.

Message 10 of 10 (861 Views)
0 Likes