Sep 29 2012
By: StanPerfect Monster Hunter 41 posts

Betas and Demos...

8 replies 120 views Edited Sep 29, 2012

I don't know why there are beta versions of games on other game discs. It is a ploy to try and get people to buy a future game, but... Why have people beta test when they may never buy that game in the future. It would make more sence to roll out a beta version as a demo. This will allow fans to download the beta/demo from PSN and send their feedback through the beta/demo. This would free up a Gig or 2 on these game discs. They can even charge for the beta, maybe $0.99, since your paying for the ability to beta test anyway when you buy a game with a beta version of a future game.

If you got anything from me, it's to find your thing and do you.
Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 9 (120 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7587 posts

Re: Betas and Demos...

[ Edited ]
Sep 29, 2012

PS3 games ship on Blu-ray discs.  I don't think a gig or two for extra content really hurts anything.  Even the largest PS3 games out there (God of War III and Uncharted 3) only utilize 30-32GB of a 50GB disc.  Most multi-platform games run about 7-8GB, so they really don't use much of a 25GB disc.

This is why Assassin's Creed Revelations was able to stick a full copy of Assassin's Creed on the disc for PS3, while the OtherBox didn't get it (it still utilizes DVD and its 8.5GB capacity).

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 9 (110 Views)
PlayStation MVP
23780 posts

Sep 29, 2012

StanPerfect wrote:

I don't know why there are beta versions of games on other game discs. It is a ploy to try and get people to buy a future game, but... Why have people beta test when they may never buy that game in the future. It would make more sence to roll out a beta version as a demo. This will allow fans to download the beta/demo from PSN and send their feedback through the beta/demo. This would free up a Gig or 2 on these game discs. They can even charge for the beta, maybe $0.99, since your paying for the ability to beta test anyway when you buy a game with a beta version of a future game.

Beta tests are just that, TESTS. They have a select pool to gather data from, and then they make changes and fix problems. A beta test is not test marketing, like you want to believe it is. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 9 (101 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
458 posts

Sep 29, 2012

So far all the beta promotions I've recieved come in the form of a redeemable code, never on the disc itself.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 9 (90 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 4, 2012

I know what beta is. I also know alpha as well. I am an Object Oriented Developer. I am not talking about marketing. For instance, I bought SOCOM 4 which had a Resistance 3 Beta on it. I don't play that series. They can lose a beta tester if someone purchases a game with a redemption code or whatever, and has no interest in beta testing that game and gets tossed out or just sits in the case.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 9 (57 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I may have had a brain fart for a sec. The redemption code makes sence.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 9 (55 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I am replying to my post to extend my point further. There are some people that should not perform beta testing. They can have a beta testing rating system. A demo/beta program on the PSN that allows developers to rate beta testers would ultimately lead to better games, in theory. Then, after the more excessible beta is complete it becomes the demo and should be glitch free, in theory. Case in point - Resident Evil 6 probably had a beta. When the demo is/was out, it states that there may be dugs/glitches. The people playing that demo can notify them of dugs/glitches that are observed so they prepare a patch for them when the full game comes/is out. Case in point - SOCOM, I love the game but it is full of glitches. That is why Zipper went bye-bye. The point is to try and have the developers develop the best games possible and I don't think any gamer can argue with that.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 9 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
41 posts

Oct 4, 2012

I know. My point isn't so much about the space, that's why they put all Splinter Cells from the PS2 on one BRD in HD. The point is to try and get Sony and Third-party developers to make betas more accessible so we can all receive better games in the future. And the right beta testers testing them is the next step. For example, a beta tester rating system where developers can rate the testers.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 9 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Oct 4, 2012

BBurgSteve wrote:

This is why Assassin's Creed Revelations was able to stick a full copy of Assassin's Creed on the disc for PS3, while the OtherBox didn't get it (it still utilizes DVD and its 8.5GB capacity).

lol OtherBox? I'll have to use that word in future conversations

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 9 (34 Views)
0 Likes