Apr 17 2012
By: ShinigamiAvatar First Son 10 posts
Accepted Solution

Best way to free up space using a External HD on PS3

16 replies 65 views Edited Apr 17, 2012

Hi,

my ps3 is coming to its limits for space and i was wondering what the best way to clear up space using an external hardrive rather then swapping out the internal, i know how to format the hardrive and get it read on the system itself just wondering what are the files that are able to be moved onto the external and how to do so. would love some help thanks

Message 1 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Re: Best way to free up space using a External HD on PS3

Apr 17, 2012

also i dont have movies music or pictures on my ps3 just games so that cuts down what i can move

Message 2 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3220 posts

Apr 17, 2012

I think most of the videos got the option to back it up onto an external harddrive. If you got any old games that you dont play any more or just dont have go throught  the save data utillity and delete the stuff that is saved for the game. If you got the dlc for the games and dont want to redownload it again just do a complete back up of your system onto a harddrive. Just to make sure you know this if you got a classic ipod you can use it as a external harddrive (i've done this myself). Just make sure you got enough space on it.

Message 3 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Apr 17, 2012

If i back up my entire system onto my harddrive is it easy to move back to the ps3 if i ever want to play them again with old save files and game data?

Message 4 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3220 posts

Apr 17, 2012

It is simple but takes a while but you cant backup specific data from your games itself that is why I said to do a full system back up. If you need your games saves most of them cant be saved unless you either full system back up or either be a playstation plus member then you can back up all your game save itself onto the cloud funtion.

Message 5 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Apr 17, 2012

also just for my knowledge if i back up my entire system and decide to swap the internal..my only fear is ive used my 5 recoveries to my account and worried that if i back up and try to re-install i wont be able to recover my account again, is that something i need to worry about or is it a complete mirror of the system and i wont even need to recover my account?

Message 6 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Apr 17, 2012

i plan to do a full system back-up either way just wondering if its a simple process to recover certain save and game data if i wanted to play those games down the road or if you can only do a full system recover rather then just single game data, hence why i am now asking about my account info which is my only real fear about just swapping my internal drive

Message 7 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3220 posts

Apr 17, 2012

when I backed up my system I didnt have a problem from my account. I think it would be a mirror image of the information that was backed up. THe only thing I have noticed was the themes on my old harddrive didnt get transfored but other than that no problems. But if you got the slim playstation you have got to have the current firmware update saved on a memeory stick.If you the fat playstation then I dont think you have to worry about that.

Message 8 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Apr 17, 2012

ok ya i have the old fat 80 gb one, so when you recovered your ps3 your account was already back on it? you didnt have to re-add all your accounts to your system? themes and all that i could care less about because if thats the case and as soon as i re-install everything the account is already active and i dont have to go through the process of account recovery then i might as well just swap my internal out

Message 9 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3220 posts

Apr 17, 2012

yea when you go to sign in to you account  its going to have the sign up icon use it and it under there you have the option to use an exsting account just use your email address and password like you did before you swap your harddrive out.

Message 10 of 17 (65 Views)
0 Likes