Jul 05 2010
By: hamlin69 Lombax Warrior 185 posts

Best way to clean dust without opening Ps3?

11 replies 23135 views Edited Jul 5, 2010

So far I have been using a vacuum once a month or so. Is there any better ways to clean the dust out of my ps3 fat without taking it apart? (It's very loud when I play moives, games or even idle)

Message 1 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5451 posts

Re: Best way to clean dust without opening Ps3?

Jul 5, 2010

hamlin69 wrote:

So far I have been using a vacuum once a month or so. Is there any better ways to clean the dust out of my ps3 fat without taking it apart? (It's very loud when I play moives, games or even idle)

Hmmm... It shouldn't be loud when idle. In all the other situations, a loud fan can be normal. If your PS3 is loud while idle, the thermal paste may be wearing thin. I would recommend preventive maintenance from these guys...

www.gophermods.com

I'm actually going to do the same next month.

Message 2 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
108 posts

Jul 5, 2010

I checked out the website. If I knew about it I may have tried them out, when my "fat" 80gb PS3 YLOD. I considered sending it to SONY, but it will cost $178. Even if I paid for shipping, and insurance, it will still cost under $100 at gopermods. But I bought a brand new PS3 with extended warranty from SONY. (Paid extra to SONY)  Not play as long or often with the "fat" 80gb.

Locked and Loaded
Message 3 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9679 posts

Jul 5, 2010

I keep a fan blowing at my system and dust it off daily.

Message 4 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1043 posts

Jul 5, 2010

i would think your best bet is to cover it with a thin cotton cloth when not in use. however, after a while, dust settles on the mainboard and its components so opening it will be necessary for good maintenance

Message 5 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jul 5, 2010

hamlin69 wrote:

What model PS3 do you have? If your PS3 is over a year old, your condition will probably improve if you have the thermal grease replaced...

Message 6 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
374 posts

Jul 5, 2010

hamlin69 wrote:

Is there any better ways to clean the dust out of my ps3 fat without taking it apart? (It's very loud when I play moives, games or even idle)

There is no effective way of cleaning the PS3 without opening it! I would be worried if your PS3 doesn't have the ability to lower fan speed from gaming to idle.

==============================================================
PS2 slim
PS3 slim 120gb/500gb
PS3 60gb
Message 7 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5743 posts

Jul 5, 2010

Amir29 wrote:

hamlin69 wrote:

Hmmm... It shouldn't be loud when idle. In all the other situations, a loud fan can be normal. If your PS3 is loud while idle, the thermal paste may be wearing thin. I would recommend preventive maintenance from these guys...

www.gophermods.com

I'm actually going to do the same next month.

Thermal paste is supposed to be thin,,,,Very very thin actually... Less is more.

Message 8 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1159 posts

Jul 5, 2010

Air compressor, once a month blow it out.....

Like most people said if it is out of warranty, if it is getting hot to the touch and fan is loader then usual, its time to re-paste the CPU\GPU, if untouched it will in the near future YLOD. I did my PS3 and it runs cooler then when I bought it almost 2 years ago....

Now here is the kicker, my 80 gig, "non-backwards compatable", when not on, the fan still is moving ever so slowly, but enough to see it if you use a flashlight to look insidethe back. Now if this is true for most if not all PS3's, that means unless you turn the power switch off in the back. "RED SWITCH", it will continuely suck in dust and what not.

Message 9 of 12 (23,135 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 24, 2012

The best way that I keep my PS3 from overheating and keeping dust out of it is I have a cabinet that is two levels, it has a shelf in the middle with two holes cut through the base. The same on the bottom of the cabinet as well. Then on the top level, I have a fan in the back of the cabinet that is cut out. When I turn the PS3 on. That fan turns on and it starts to draw air from the bottom of the cabinet cooling the PS3. The fan on my pse never runs and my PS3 is cold or room temp all the time. If you turn the fan off, it starts to get hot in their. That just shows that the fan works. This is best way to keep your PS3 cool all the time! This is even better then keeping it in plain sight, in the middle of the room! 

Message 10 of 12 (22,697 Views)
0 Likes