Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Re: Best Router For PS3??

Sep 13, 2007
n is indeed overkill

and elcheapo, did you ever update your firmware for router?
Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 21 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Sep 13, 2007
i had a linksys wrt54gs and had problems switched to  a dlink dgl-4300 and have had zero issues . dlink  is also what my bro uses and he has had zero issues.
Message 22 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4062 posts

Sep 13, 2007

Neridqe wrote:
n is indeed overkill

and elcheapo, did you ever update your firmware for router?

Yes as a matter of fact one had just been released,   I was joking about the 1.93 though
Message 23 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Sep 14, 2007

elcheapo wrote:

AngelBurst wrote:
the model is more importat then the brand . The best compatible model/type is a 802.11g MIMO. 802.11n is overkill as is it will down throttle to g when connected to PS3. As a engineer I prefer Buffalo over other brands.

I had a problem running 2 ps3s on a linksys 54g, N type was recommended, I changed to a d-link 655, it was very user friendly, and I rarely have connection problems any more.      (except for downloading 1.93)

All you need is a wireless G MIMO, which stand for (Multi In Multi Out.) MIMOs work well for high speeds, and multiple connections. No PS3 owner should waste their money on N, its not doing anything more then a wireless G MIMO can do for you. Also a good feature to look for is AOSS which the PS3 supports, which is one step connect solutions. Just push the AOSS button and your PS3 is connected securly in a matter of seconds. This is why I recommend the Buffalo routers, they work well with game systems, and devices other then just PCs. They also have a very good rep for not dropping connection, or overheating. They dont over charge for their products either.
Message 24 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
69 posts

Sep 14, 2007
sorry to say everyone but linksys and netgear sucks.   We have had nothing but problems with them and we build and work on pcs all the time.  when we (my roommate and myself)  got 2 ps3s nothing but dissconnects and errors. 

We had baught 3 of them both linksys and netgear and yes updated firmware etc...  We gave up and I baught a D-link wireless N gamming router.  Overkill you say?  so what?  we had zero problems and never one dissconnect or signal loss from our pcs or gamming consoles.   

lets calculate it out.  a little more money - headaches = one happy gammer.  just my opinion maybe you all have a diffrent version of router and hardware built in them.

dont know dont care my best advice is stick with a return policy buy a router of your choice.  itest the hell out of it like we did with spamming logging in and off and downloads etc...  see if it causes any dissconnects.  after a week or so u dont like it return it and get a diffrent brand.  simple as that.
Message 25 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

Sep 14, 2007
i use the linksys wrt54gs for my ps3 and i have had zero problems. im very happy with it.
Message 26 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
44 posts

Sep 14, 2007
Any router will do. I have a Netgear and it works beautifully.
GAP / BETA / PS3 / PSP / PS2 / PS1 / Been here longer than you.
Message 27 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9353 posts

Sep 14, 2007
OK again ill say, linksys just dont disconnect people. Its either you never updated your firmware ( build PCs or not, you could have messed that up) or its just a faulty router,,but linksys is not junk by far lol

trew01 wrote:
sorry to say everyone but linksys and netgear sucks.   We have had nothing but problems with them and we build and work on pcs all the time.  when we (my roommate and myself)  got 2 ps3s nothing but dissconnects and errors. 

We had baught 3 of them both linksys and netgear and yes updated firmware etc...  We gave up and I baught a D-link wireless N gamming router.  Overkill you say?  so what?  we had zero problems and never one dissconnect or signal loss from our pcs or gamming consoles.   

lets calculate it out.  a little more money - headaches = one happy gammer.  just my opinion maybe you all have a diffrent version of router and hardware built in them.

dont know dont care my best advice is stick with a return policy buy a router of your choice.  itest the hell out of it like we did with spamming logging in and off and downloads etc...  see if it causes any dissconnects.  after a week or so u dont like it return it and get a diffrent brand.  simple as that.

Yo dawg I heard you liked quantum mechanics so I didn't do anything, and I did something at the same time.
Message 28 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
275 posts

Sep 14, 2007
I use a the Linksys WRT54GS and i have not had any issues with it on PS3, PS2, or even Wii.
Message 29 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
10 posts

Sep 14, 2007
I have a Linksys G router, works perfectly fine with my broadband internet. I use to get a TON of disconnects, but after the 1.93 patch, it stopped. I think it had something to do with 1.92 patch.
Message 30 of 40 (178 Views)
0 Likes