May 13 2012
By: RabidGiant First Son 21 posts

Best RPG available for Vita now?

12 replies 3978 views Edited May 13, 2012

I know there is nothing great from this genre out now except oldies from the PSP.   I did not own one so looking for the best suggestion.

Not really into the Japanese stylistic artsy kinda.   Thinking more like Dark Souls, KOA, Skyrim style.   All suggestions are appreciated.  Thank you.

Message 1 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
27 posts

Re: Best RPG available for Vita now?

May 13, 2012

Dungeon Hunter: Alliance

It's the best I can think of for what you want.

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/160035b1.jpg

Photobucket
Message 2 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
21 posts

May 14, 2012

Sorry, I wasn't clear that I am looking for PSP suggestions.  I have checked out everything made for the Vita and nothing really that inviting (hoping E3 changes that), but there is so much for the PSP that you can download right now.

I am currently downloading GOW and 3rd Birthday.   Reviews suggest Dissidia, Disgaea, and Tactics Ogre.  I am looking for more of that 3rd person RPG in real time.   Action oriented.

Suggestions?

Message 3 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
340 posts

May 14, 2012

Disgaea 3 for the Vita is a great game that will keep you entertained for a long time. Some good psp rpgs are: Persona 3 Portable (one of my favorites), Tactics Ogre, FF Tactics, FF4 Complete Collection, and of course the Monster Hunter games. Dissidia is not an rpg but its a fighting game with many rpg elements so you would probably like it. Its actually my favorite fighting game on the psp.

Photobucket
psvitaheaven.wordpress.com

Message 4 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11254 posts

May 14, 2012

RabidGiant wrote:

Sorry, I wasn't clear that I am looking for PSP suggestions.  I have checked out everything made for the Vita and nothing really that inviting (hoping E3 changes that), but there is so much for the PSP that you can download right now.

I am currently downloading GOW and 3rd Birthday.   Reviews suggest Dissidia, Disgaea, and Tactics Ogre.  I am looking for more of that 3rd person RPG in real time.   Action oriented.

Suggestions?

Well to start with Dissidia is not an RPG. It is a Fighter game with some small RPG like elements that is based on the Final Fantasy franchise. It is not an RPG. I'm positive others will also suggest Monster Hunter Freedom. The Monster Hunter franchise is a good Action/Adventure series, but it is not an RPG franchise either.

Most of the best RPGs for the PSP are turn based and not quite the 3rd person Action RPG. Ys Seven and Ys: The Oath in Felghana are about the only 2 Action RPGs that I saw in the list of current PSP offerings for the Vita via the PSN Store on the Vita that I can suggest. Unfortunately Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core is not available for download or I'd recommend that.

I know the following list isn't what you're asking about but unfortunately the games you want are nearly non-existant on the PSN Store for the Vita. If you don't mind turn based combat then I can suggest the following titles:

• Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 Portable
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 2
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Persona
  • Lunar: Silver Star Harmony
  • Final Fantasy IV: The Complete Collection
  • Crimson Gem Saga
  • Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness
  • Disgaea 2: Dark Hero Days

The Disgaea series is what's known as Strategy RPGs. Turn based combat. It can get a bit annoying at times and it done on a grid, sort of like Chess or Checkers. Tactic Ogre is also an SRPG.

If you want some great Action games I can make some suggestions there as well. But I'll wait for a response first.

Message 5 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
9 posts

May 14, 2012

I agree DIsgaea on Vita will be the best.....until Gravity Rush! But a PSP RPG this man seeks, so Corpse Party is great! Horror, Japanese character art, pixel graphics, Japanese voice track. The perfect RPG for any RPG or JRPG fan.

Message 6 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

May 26, 2012

Better than my smartphone's, but it is still not good enough for a game system because of the price.

Message 7 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

May 26, 2012

I suggest you to surf the japanese PSN store, it releases a lot of great RPGs that we can't see in the US.

Message 8 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
18 posts

May 26, 2012

I guess nobody has suggested this yet, but ZENONIA is also a fun RPG. It's your Old skool RPG look, that's actually addicting. Found in the Minis section.

Message 9 of 13 (3,978 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
9 posts

[ Edited ]
May 22, 2015

Persona 4
Disgaea 3
Talea of Innocence R
Talea of Hearts R

Message 10 of 13 (3,339 Views)