Jan 09 2013
By: W1Z4RDRY I Only Post Everything 891 posts

Best Method for Cleaning PS3?

7 replies 202 views Edited Jan 9, 2013

What method is the best way to clean the inside of your PS3? I'd like to open mine up and get whatever dust is inside as well as cleaning the fan. My house is kind of old and during the winter there is more dust than usualy because of the furnace. I also have a dog now that sheds quite a bit (black lab). I know there are numerous videos on Youtube but I would like some additional input before going ahead with it.

Thanks.

photo wizard_zps4173ab5c.png
Message 1 of 8 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Limit Breaker
21008 posts

Re: Best Method for Cleaning PS3?

Jan 10, 2013

I personally would never open the system up.  (as much as it might be good to get any dust that gets inside.)

I usually try to dust the system every other day or so with a microfibre cloth.    Also I'll power down and unplug the system and gently vacuum the system and around the vents with a small handheld vacuum every so often.

That seems to do it for me, but I guess everyone's situation is different.

Message 2 of 8 (180 Views)
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Ah yes, I also do the vacuum thing as well. You can't really tell how much dust you're getting out but it does work. I've got into the habit of putting a small towel over the console when it's not in use just to keep it dust free as much as possible.

Message 3 of 8 (164 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2013

W1Z4RDRY wrote:

What method is the best way to clean the inside of your PS3? I'd like to open mine up and get whatever dust is inside as well as cleaning the fan. My house is kind of old and during the winter there is more dust than usualy because of the furnace. I also have a dog now that sheds quite a bit (black lab). I know there are numerous videos on Youtube but I would like some additional input before going ahead with it.

Thanks.

Hello, I have had my ps3 slim sense 2009. I clean my system once a year about every 6-7 months...youtube is a great place to start...but be careful...NO LIQUIDS!...If you don't have a microfiber rag...i recommend q tips (This will be a slow process)...also when cleaning the fan Never let the fan spin....you can learn all this on youtube...and if you do it right your system should run as quietly as a mouse like mine still does.

This your first time so take your time, go slow...if your not sure about something double check.

Waring i recommend you never open up your Ps3 SlimSmiley Wink

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 8 (159 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

Jan 10, 2013
I took mine apart to get to reset the clock back when we had that leap year bug. The dust on the fan and power supply was insane. Had I not cleaned it, my console probably wouldn't be working today. Now if you do take it apart, be very careful there is a lot to remove. I followed a YouTube video the whole time step by step. Be advised though. Not all models are exactly the same. Even the fatboys were different based on version.
Message 5 of 8 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
148 posts

Jan 10, 2013
I use a can of compressed air and soft cloth, when im going to clean i take it outside also

btw, how powerful is the vacuum you use to clean the ps3 and not damage it?
Message 6 of 8 (139 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
891 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Teraclips wrote:
I use a can of compressed air and soft cloth, when im going to clean i take it outside also

btw, how powerful is the vacuum you use to clean the ps3 and not damage it?

I have a Dyson vacuum that is pretty powerful so to be safe I keep it about 6 inches away from the back fan vent.

There are some pretty crazy ideas on Youtube like holding down the power button until the fan kicks into turbo mode but that's going to kill your system.

Another tip a friend gave me for cooling down is put tape across the front vents. My last PS3 suffered from overheating which eventually fried the main pcb (whatever that it, I had it looked at) and it was a 2009 120gb slim.

Thanks everyone.

Message 7 of 8 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Limit Breaker
21008 posts

Jan 11, 2013

I would actually recommend against using compressed air.

if anything the direct airpressure into the console is bad for the system itself, as well as, intead of clearing any dust out that is near the vents your simply blowing the dust further into the console.

Message 8 of 8 (104 Views)
0 Likes