Mar 05 2012
By: imupindis Splicer 89 posts

Best Buy slacking on Vita games

11 replies 49 views Edited Mar 5, 2012

I am curious if anyone else has noticed that Best Buy isn't getting games like Unit 13 on release day. The game library they have in store is almost depressing. Ninja Gaiden popped up a week late in stores too. I'm kind of a Best Buy fan boy. I constantly shop there for the reward zone points. But with my Vita I am going to other stores. Any employees know what is going on?

Message 1 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Re: Best Buy slacking on Vita games

Mar 5, 2012

I work in the gaming department at my local Best Buy. It isn't that we don't want the games. We've had some games just come in late, and we've also had corporate decide to put some only on bestbuy.com. Trust me, it irritates us as well. If it were up to me, the Vita section would be MUCH larger than 2 shelves in a 4 foot section.

Message 2 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
89 posts

Mar 5, 2012

Have you heard of any reasoning? Unit 13 is the only game for the Vita coming out and no sign of it on bestbuy.com. I see they are advertising the MLB 12 TS bundle.

Message 3 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Mar 5, 2012

I have not, and probably will never, heard a reason. I'm a lonely store employee. Corporate makes these decisions and rarely shares the reasoning. We got REALLY serious about gaming for about 2 months. Seems to have died down and I wish they would change that...

Message 4 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9712 posts

Mar 6, 2012

Target as well seems slow to display Vita stuff.  The Vita display at Target is cool though.

Message 5 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
43 posts

Mar 6, 2012

My Best Buy is slacking HARD. Went there yesterday so my buddy could buy DHA and they literally had one copy of Uncharted, 2 copies of Wipeout, and a couple accessories. Target is the same way and even Gamestop told me they only get 2-3 copies of games in at a time so it's a must to preorder them. Kinda sad really hopefully it picks up because the Vita is unreal.

Message 6 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
12 posts

Mar 6, 2012

You know working at toysrus for a couple of years, I thought it was typical bait and switch during launch week when all the stores had buy 2 get 1 deals and no games to go with it.  A little over a week later and walmart, bestbuy, and target all seem to have little to no selection of games.  They tend to have the 1st party sony titles and maybe a couple of other titles like fifa and UMVC.  Other than that nothing.  I hope there isn't an issue with stores not wanting to support the vita fully due to their history with the psp.

Message 7 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1243 posts

Mar 6, 2012

BestBuy has always been crap on Portable Gaming. PSP games in my BestBuys were only ever placed on endcaps. DS and Gameboy games got 1/5th the shelf space of their console counterparts. and the selection of games have always been crap, never getting games on-time etc.

Thats the only real reason i stopped buying games there and switched to gamestop. as much as i hate being berated for buying games for anything else then xbox, at the least they actually have the inventory to meet my demand.

Message 8 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Mar 6, 2012

I really didn't think too much about this, but having read this post earlier I made a concious effort to check out the selection at my local BB when I was there tonight. My local BB's Vita game select is... decent, about on par or probably a little better than both my local Target and Gamestop. However, the "dedicated" section is horrible. First, if you are looking for the actual game boxes, or I should say display boxes they are randomly placed in 4 different locations and not even strategically placed at that. The games are spread out with half being near the "dedicated" section and the other half being near the demo unit. The accessories (not much of them) are "adjacent" to the games, but far enough away that someone would be confused if they actually belong (sitting next to the leapfrog stuff of all things).

Target's section/display is the best of the 3, but some of the games and accessories are still spread out. Gamestop is the only store I've been to that has all the Vita stuff in the same area. Walmart... I'll just leave that one alone.

Message 9 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
24 posts

Mar 6, 2012

jedolley wrote:

I really didn't think too much about this, but having read this post earlier I made a concious effort to check out the selection at my local BB when I was there tonight. My local BB's Vita game select is... decent, about on par or probably a little better than both my local Target and Gamestop. However, the "dedicated" section is horrible. First, if you are looking for the actual game boxes, or I should say display boxes they are randomly placed in 4 different locations and not even strategically placed at that. The games are spread out with half being near the "dedicated" section and the other half being near the demo unit. The accessories (not much of them) are "adjacent" to the games, but far enough away that someone would be confused if they actually belong (sitting next to the leapfrog stuff of all things).

Target's section/display is the best of the 3, but some of the games and accessories are still spread out. Gamestop is the only store I've been to that has all the Vita stuff in the same area. Walmart... I'll just leave that one alone.

Wow, that BBY needs to fix that. My store has all the games in a 4 ft section, one shelf above the other. The accessories are immediately to the right of that. My only gripe is not having ALL of the games. We do have a decent selection in right now though.

Message 10 of 12 (49 Views)
0 Likes