Jan 31 2012
By: pgharavi Splicer 60 posts

Best Audio settings for Home Theater Setup? Linear PCM vs. Bitstream, etc.

5 replies 725 views Edited Jan 31, 2012

Hello,

I have a fairly decent HDTV and 5.1 surround sound setup.  It supports ARC, DD, DTS, etc.  Everything is setup via HDMI.

One thing I'm confused about is whether I should be using Linear PCM or using Bitstream

I ask because - when playing PS3 games - if I use Linear PCM, my reciever shows the rather generic "Multichannel Output 5.1" but if I use Bitstream, I get either "Dolby Digital" or "DTS" on the reciever's screen.

Any tips or suggestions?  Thanks!

Message 1 of 6 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Re: Best Audio settings for Home Theater Setup? Linear PCM vs. Bitstream, etc.

Feb 1, 2012

How do you have the PS3 connected to your stereo system?

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 6 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Feb 1, 2012

PS3 > HDMI > Reciever > HDMI > HDTV.

Message 3 of 6 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
111 posts

Feb 1, 2012

If you think your reciever is really good, leave it on Linear. Less compression. My reciever is from 1999 and only has toslinks ports for 5.1 so I have to use bitstream. Kind of lame. Linear is only available on HDMI.

60GB PS3 CECHA01 upgraded to hybrid 500GB HDD/pink DualShock 3 -------------------------- 3G Black Vita/32GB card

psplus
Message 4 of 6 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
60 posts

Feb 3, 2012

Got it - ya, I'm HDMI only.

Message 5 of 6 (725 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
First Son
5 posts

[ Edited ]
Sep 9, 2012

linear pcm takes and lets the ps3 software playback the sound based on witch boxes you check in the audio options.

bitstreem is different the checked  boxes are just an open door letting the sound come strait off the original recording.

here`s an esample darksiders in bitstreem plays back in dolby digital 5.1  with all the checked boxes checked.

note  checking 5.1 opens the door for it to come through its the original recording and in my opinion actually sounds better then the linear pcm version.

darksiders in linear pcm plays back in dolby digital pro logic 2.0  with all the boxes checed the ps3`s software  is really just taking the original version and stretching it it actually sounds worse.

Im running an optical cable so 5.1 is as high as i can go draw your own comclusions on sound quality i guess

Message 6 of 6 (670 Views)
0 Likes