Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Dec 14 2013
By: tigres7882 Splicer 79 posts
Accepted Solution

Being competitive vs.. having fun online.

14 replies 214 views Edited Dec 14, 2013

I know most of the people that play video games just want to have fun and enjoy the game. I'm one of those people. But sometimes I like to be competitive while playing some games online, mostly sports games like fifa or fps. I usually play  with my friends just to have fun, but when I play by myself is a totally different story. Usually I would try to give advice to others on how to play because I don't want to lose, or because they are getting on my way ( I know I sound like an **bleep**). Most people find this annoying, and they get hostile.  I do this because I try to get everyone to work as a team instead of doing whatever they want. What I find most amusing is that those people that get annoyed, don't seem to know that is a mute option. Instead of b#tching about me talking , I always tell them to mute me instead. I always wonder why they don't mute me if they are "tired" of hearing me. Everyone has the freedom of playing a game for whatever reason they want, I know I sound like I'm forcing others to play competitive but I'm just trying to help. This is the reason I like playing with my friends better, because I can tell them whatever I want, and they do the same with me. But we take it as a joke instead of getting mad, but at the same time we are serious about the match we are having. 

What are your thoughts on this? Have you had a similar experience? Some feedback would be nice in order to improve my "social" skills with others. 

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 15 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8404 posts

Re: Being competitive vs.. having fun online.

Dec 14, 2013

tigres7882 wrote:

I know most of the people that play video games just want to have fun and enjoy the game. I'm one of those people. But sometimes I like to be competitive while playing some games online, mostly sports games like fifa or fps. I usually play  with my friends just to have fun, but when I play by myself is a totally different story. Usually I would try to give advice to others on how to play because I don't want to lose, or because they are getting on my way ( I know I sound like an **bleep**). Most people find this annoying, and they get hostile.  I do this because I try to get everyone to work as a team instead of doing whatever they want. What I find most amusing is that those people that get annoyed, don't seem to know that is a mute option. Instead of b#tching about me talking , I always tell them to mute me instead. I always wonder why they don't mute me if they are "tired" of hearing me. Everyone has the freedom of playing a game for whatever reason they want, I know I sound like I'm forcing others to play competitive but I'm just trying to help. This is the reason I like playing with my friends better, because I can tell them whatever I want, and they do the same with me. But we take it as a joke instead of getting mad, but at the same time we are serious about the match we are having. 

What are your thoughts on this? Have you had a similar experience? Some feedback would be nice in order to improve my "social" skills with others. 

Half the problem is no mute haflt the problem is people like you. People are going to try to figure out how they want to play. With or with out your advice. If I was playing a game and had you in my ear constantly id be actng the same way. What may work for you dont always work for everyone else. And that is a true fact. If people are having trouble try to help but dont get in there face or be that voice they dont want to hear. It makes the game unenjoyable both for you and for them. Have concideration for other people. Its that simple. not everyone has played as much as you. Some people this could be there first time playing.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 15 (205 Views)
Fender Bender
3501 posts

Dec 14, 2013

tigres7882 wrote:

I know most of the people that play video games just want to have fun and enjoy the game. I'm one of those people.

But sometimes I like to be competitive while playing some games online, mostly sports games like fifa or fps. I usually play  with my friends just to have fun, but when I play by myself is a totally different story.

Usually I would try to give advice to others on how to play because I don't want to lose, or because they are getting on my way ( I know I sound like an **bleep**). Most people find this annoying, and they get hostile.  I do this because I try to get everyone to work as a team instead of doing whatever they want.

What I find most amusing is that those people that get annoyed, don't seem to know that is a mute option. Instead of b#tching about me talking , I always tell them to mute me instead. I always wonder why they don't mute me if they are "tired" of hearing me.

Everyone has the freedom of playing a game for whatever reason they want, I know I sound like I'm forcing others to play competitive but I'm just trying to help.

This is the reason I like playing with my friends better, because I can tell them whatever I want, and they do the same with me. But we take it as a joke instead of getting mad, but at the same time we are serious about the match we are having. 

People generally don't like being told how to play. I suspect it makes them feel "spoken down to".

Some people just love to talk smack over the mic, hence the no muting.

Offer advice respectfully then back off it is is unwanted.

Respect is a two way street.

The truth will set you free... But it may sting a bit...
Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 15 (203 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
338 posts

Dec 14, 2013

You must be saying some pretty annoying things, if you must assist on people muting you. 

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 15 (199 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
79 posts

Dec 14, 2013

I don't talk smack to them, I just try to give them advice. I'm not a person that goes around screaming " I f#cked your mom last night ." 

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 15 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
79 posts

Dec 14, 2013
Well my english accent is not that good, many times they cannot understand what I'm trying to say, but I try to be clear with my english.
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 15 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8404 posts

Dec 14, 2013

tigres7882 wrote:
Well my english accent is not that good, many times they cannot understand what I'm trying to say, but I try to be clear with my english.

How about just let them play as they want to. Let them learn as they need to and dont bother people?

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 15 (179 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
79 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Black0Panther wrote:

tigres7882 wrote:

Half the problem is no mute haflt the problem is people like you. People are going to try to figure out how they want to play. With or with out your advice. If I was playing a game and had you in my ear constantly id be actng the same way. What may work for you dont always work for everyone else. And that is a true fact. If people are having trouble try to help but dont get in there face or be that voice they dont want to hear. It makes the game unenjoyable both for you and for them. Have concideration for other people. Its that simple. not everyone has played as much as you. Some people this could be there first time playing.

Yeah you are right, I'll take this advice for future reference. Thanx!

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 15 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
249 posts

Dec 14, 2013

Did you ever consider that they might just be playing with their friends, just for fun? Maybe they don't want to be competetive. Maybe having you in their ear constantly telling them what to do is somewhat annoying. Why not just find a group that wants to play competetively instead of trying to tell randoms what to do all the time?

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 15 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8404 posts

Dec 14, 2013

tigres7882 wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

tigres7882 wrote:

Yeah you are right, I'll take this advice for future reference. Thanx!

I mean no disrespect either man. If im playing a game I want to learn it. I may die alot but when I come up with something that works I am good. By someone on the mic yelling atme telling me ot do this or do that doesnt help me. It usually gets me killled faster. Everyone has a learning curve when it comes to things like this. Ounce we find it were good. Just got to give other players to find there nitch and go with it.

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 15 (168 Views)
0 Likes