Reply
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 06/30/2011
Offline
2032 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013
I've played the most recent iterations of all those series, and while bf3 was more realisric, I didn't like the movement or campaign, where as killzone had great guns, gameplay, campaign, and movement.

Imho, I would get kz over bf4
Message 21 of 48 (199 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
Registered: 02/20/2013
Offline
296 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

StrongBlackVine9 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

Honestly, I think you should wait on Killzone: Shadow Fall until you've played the first 3 games. You would probably respect / appreciate the game a lot more if you did so.

 

I was not looking forward to KZ: SH at all. It wasn't even on my must buy list -- until I bought and played the "Killzone Trilogy" a couple weeks ago. Now, now I am a KZ fan and very much looking forward to Shadow Fall.


I completely disagree. The narrative in the first 3 games was kind of garbage and Killzone Shadow is set in a completely different era and setting to make it easily accesssilbe for newcomers.

 

Read this if want to know everything about the Killzone universe before playing Shadow Fall:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517012


You didn't like the first 3, yet disagree that someone could respect / appreciate KZ: SF more, if they played the trilogy first? (?what?)

How could someone really see the growth of this franchise and how "epic" this game/story is supposed to be, unless they played the first 3?

 

I think calling it garbage is harsh. Sure, they were not GOTY worthy stories, IMO, but they were still good. In fact, that is what prevented me from getting into the series sooner. Everyone was jerking off to the graphics of KZ2 when it hit PS3 -- I didn't hear one thing about the story -- only "best graphics for a FPS on PS3!," "better graphics than COD!," blah, blah, blah. (gag).

I played the demo for KZ2 and was not impressed, so I ignored it and KZ3.

 

But, I'm glad I picked up the Killzone Trilogy collection and decided to go back and give this series a second chance.

 

 

And it's not like KZ: SF is a "completely different setting." It returns to the same planet from the first Killzone, just 30 years after the events of KZ3. (And said events are major and are the sole reason for the setting of KZ: SF.)

 

But, I get what you mean -- It's not a full blown war this time, it's a cold war in this installment, has a different vibe to it than the previous 3 games, etc, etc, etc.


I enjoyed the KZ2 and KZ3 (never played the original), but it was because of t he gameplay. The stories in the two I played were VERY weak with some of the most poorly developed characters I have seen. Rico is history of video games bad.

 

Killzone Shadow will be the first game I play on my PS4.

Message 22 of 48 (194 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 09/13/2007
Offline
4403 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013

StrongBlackVine9 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

StrongBlackVine9 wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

Honestly, I think you should wait on Killzone: Shadow Fall until you've played the first 3 games. You would probably respect / appreciate the game a lot more if you did so.

 

I was not looking forward to KZ: SH at all. It wasn't even on my must buy list -- until I bought and played the "Killzone Trilogy" a couple weeks ago. Now, now I am a KZ fan and very much looking forward to Shadow Fall.


I completely disagree. The narrative in the first 3 games was kind of garbage and Killzone Shadow is set in a completely different era and setting to make it easily accesssilbe for newcomers.

 

Read this if want to know everything about the Killzone universe before playing Shadow Fall:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=517012


You didn't like the first 3, yet disagree that someone could respect / appreciate KZ: SF more, if they played the trilogy first? (?what?)

How could someone really see the growth of this franchise and how "epic" this game/story is supposed to be, unless they played the first 3?

 

I think calling it garbage is harsh. Sure, they were not GOTY worthy stories, IMO, but they were still good. In fact, that is what prevented me from getting into the series sooner. Everyone was jerking off to the graphics of KZ2 when it hit PS3 -- I didn't hear one thing about the story -- only "best graphics for a FPS on PS3!," "better graphics than COD!," blah, blah, blah. (gag).

I played the demo for KZ2 and was not impressed, so I ignored it and KZ3.

 

But, I'm glad I picked up the Killzone Trilogy collection and decided to go back and give this series a second chance.

 

 

And it's not like KZ: SF is a "completely different setting." It returns to the same planet from the first Killzone, just 30 years after the events of KZ3. (And said events are major and are the sole reason for the setting of KZ: SF.)

 

But, I get what you mean -- It's not a full blown war this time, it's a cold war in this installment, has a different vibe to it than the previous 3 games, etc, etc, etc.


I enjoyed the KZ2 and KZ3 (never played the original), but it was because of t he gameplay. The stories in the two I played were VERY weak with some of the most poorly developed characters I have seen. Rico is history of video games bad.

 

Killzone Shadow will be the first game I play on my PS4.


The first KZ was enjoyable, but not the greatest in the trilogy. The characters were pretty cool. Rico and Templar were the only 2 to return in KZ2 (which, we both know what happened to Templar in KZ2 Smiley Sad)

 

I agree, Rico was not likable, but honestly, I did begin to like him in KZ3.

 

And awesome, glad you're at least giving KZ: SF a chance. Hopefully it doesn't disappoint you as much as KZ2 and 3 did. Smiley Happy

 

 

Also, just in case you didn't already know, one of the 4 playable characters in KZ1 (Lugar) was a Shadow Marshal -- which is what the main character in KZ: SF is.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."


Message 23 of 48 (189 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
14267 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013

I kind of have a love hate relationship with Killzone. I liked Killzone 2's multiplayer. it has issues it felt rather clunky and unpolished.. the story however.. my gosh. too hard. I hate hard games.. Unless I can somehow overcome them. I couldn't overcome that.

 

I like KZ3's SP. It's a decent game, not too hard, not entirely totally easy either. Quite well balanced. the MP is.. Well I have the same feelings I have towards KZ2. It still feels clunky and like either the characters are fat or the guns weigh the player down. I don't know it's just a really odd and limiting design choice which I'm honestly not too fond of.

 

I so hope they fixed that this time. I bet some people hope they haven't and probably enjoyed it though so maybe I'm just the problem.



Message 24 of 48 (186 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
Registered: 10/26/2013
Offline
32 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

[ Edited ]
Nov 8, 2013

The weighted movement and feel of the killzone series especially mp is what makes it great. No stupid perks or killstreaks just your skill. From what I read on the forums, there will be no aim assist this time, so skill is key. Just watch the 14 minute mp video and you'll appreciate killzone mp to have an idea what your gonna experience. Personally, I like both games and I'm glad bf4 is bringing the chaotic 64 player action to ps4 so I recommend both.

"All of this has happened before and will happen again."
Message 25 of 48 (173 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Sackboy
Registered: 11/25/2006
Offline
525 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013
Get Killzone now. On black friday Battlefield 4 will be $30 at GameStop.
Message 26 of 48 (168 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 03/23/2007
Offline
1183 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013

Aureilia wrote:

I kind of have a love hate relationship with Killzone. I liked Killzone 2's multiplayer. it has issues it felt rather clunky and unpolished.. the story however.. my gosh. too hard. I hate hard games.. Unless I can somehow overcome them. I couldn't overcome that.

 

I like KZ3's SP. It's a decent game, not too hard, not entirely totally easy either. Quite well balanced. the MP is.. Well I have the same feelings I have towards KZ2. It still feels clunky and like either the characters are fat or the guns weigh the player down. I don't know it's just a really odd and limiting design choice which I'm honestly not too fond of.

 

I so hope they fixed that this time. I bet some people hope they haven't and probably enjoyed it though so maybe I'm just the problem.


The weighted feel is intended and there's no "fixing" it since that is just part of the kz charm.

 

To OP, I strongly urge you to pick up the previous installment and try out the multiplayer. KZ MP is not kind at all to beginners and the weighted feel will be more of a learning curve if you are used to twitch shooters like CoD or BF. If you want to go ahead and get the game anyways let me warn you now....YOU WILL BE BAD... it will take you some time to get fully acclimated to the MP and will be frustrating at first, but please don't rage quit and just work through it and you will develop the skills to be a decent player at it at the very least.

Message 27 of 48 (164 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 06/14/2009
Offline
14267 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013

Elegy- wrote:

Aureilia wrote:

I kind of have a love hate relationship with Killzone. I liked Killzone 2's multiplayer. it has issues it felt rather clunky and unpolished.. the story however.. my gosh. too hard. I hate hard games.. Unless I can somehow overcome them. I couldn't overcome that.

 

I like KZ3's SP. It's a decent game, not too hard, not entirely totally easy either. Quite well balanced. the MP is.. Well I have the same feelings I have towards KZ2. It still feels clunky and like either the characters are fat or the guns weigh the player down. I don't know it's just a really odd and limiting design choice which I'm honestly not too fond of.

 

I so hope they fixed that this time. I bet some people hope they haven't and probably enjoyed it though so maybe I'm just the problem.


The weighted feel is intended and there's no "fixing" it since that is just part of the kz charm.

 

To OP, I strongly urge you to pick up the previous installment and try out the multiplayer. KZ MP is not kind at all to beginners and the weighted feel will be more of a learning curve if you are used to twitch shooters like CoD or BF. If you want to go ahead and get the game anyways let me warn you now....YOU WILL BE BAD... it will take you some time to get fully acclimated to the MP and will be frustrating at first, but please don't rage quit and just work through it and you will develop the skills to be a decent player at it at the very least.


Actually. I'm not bad at Killzone 3 or Killzone 2.

 

The problem I have is it seems whenever I'm playing MP. It feels like the other players are battling the controls a lot more than I am. I'd want the stuff changed to give me better players to play against creating less of a gap between us and more of a challenge.

 

I do really badly at CoD compared to BF or KZ. The skill gap isn't there in CoD which just makes it more challenging to run around killing everything.

 

Problem with me is I don't like running wild over everyone. I like being beaten. It gives me the challenge of imrproving myself.



Message 28 of 48 (151 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
Registered: 05/29/2009
Offline
789 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013
The biggest reason I like KZ MP is that you can't run around like some sort of super soldier who drank a case of Red Bull mixed with cocaine and meth. If you go lone wolf in KZ you're going to die...a lot. KZ encourages teamwork and strategic positioning over killstreaks and running and gunning like CoD and BF. CoD and BF are great shooters too, but I prefer KZ for many reasons. The story may stink, but so do all the others.
Permanently left the PS Forums because of a trolling MVP and poor moderation.
Message 29 of 48 (143 Views)
Reply
0 Likes
Splicer
Registered: 10/22/2008
Offline
84 posts
 

Re: Battlefield 4 or Killzone Shadow Fall?

Nov 8, 2013

buy both then trade them in then buy again 

Message 30 of 48 (142 Views)
Reply
0 Likes