Reply
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28672 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

awtacular wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

awtacular wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

awtacular wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Problem is, there's no feasibility to this.

 

How are you going to prove who is underage and who isn't?


Require a valid credit card on file. Not a debit card. It won't be fool proof but it would help eliminate majority of the problem. If you don't want to giv e a vaild credit card then you don't play online. Simple as that. If your afraid it might get hacked, I got news for you. People can get your info from anything. You don't have to use your credit card online to have your info stolen so don't come up with that lame excuse as to why they shouldn't require a credit card.


No debit cards? Then even I can't play (I'm 21, but I only have a debit card because I don't want a credit card)

 

Also what's to stop parents from just making an account for their kids to play on? People use their parent's card all the time.

 

Requiring a credit card would only make a different crowd mad.


Anyone can get a debit card. You have to be 18 to get a credit card for most companies in the US. And again, I didn't say it would be fool proof.


It stops nothing all you need is a valid debit card and these same people can access the PSN and games.

 


If they set their system up to require a credit card and not a debit card the system can tell the difference between the two. Sooner or later it's going to come to this with all the bs laws they are making so get use to the idea.


Debit cards have a "credit" option, where they pay for purchases 30 days after you make them. That's why when you pay for something with a debit card they ask "Will that be credit or debit?". 

Message 21 of 48 (286 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
Registered: 12/08/2000
Online
28672 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

awtacular wrote:

You can say and think what you want but it's going to happen sooner than you think. Laws will be passed requiring age verification. Like stated above anyone with a debit card or PSN card has access to everything on the PSN store which includes mature games and kids can buy them with no problem yet can't in stores. It will come to that or mature games will be pulled from online stores if they don't abide by the rules. I myelf could care less but it will happen.


No it won't, and the reason why is because we've already had this debate and it comes down to the First Amendment. Unless it imposes a health risk, you can not restrict the sale of games to minors by law. Stores, however, can impose their own restrictions, which don't do a dang bit of good if a parent is buying a game for their kids. 

 

Here's an idea. Instead of waiting for someone to pass a law that will be struck down by the United States Supreme Court, how about you refuse to play with these little nimrods? Don't engage them. Quit out of their sessions, and find other people to play with. It seems that everyone is saying "C'MON SONY!!" and demanding a solution they can easily implement themselves. We've all seen that video of the kid  ranting on YouTube, how proving to the world that if video games are going to be taken as a serious medium, that you don't stand for that kind of behavior? 

Message 22 of 48 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 04/22/2005
Offline
5539 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

awtacular wrote:

GTAMOBSTERX4 wrote:

awtacular wrote:

You can say and think what you want but it's going to happen sooner than you think. Laws will be passed requiring age verification. Like stated above anyone with a debit card or PSN card has access to everything on the PSN store which includes mature games and kids can buy them with no problem yet can't in stores. It will come to that or mature games will be pulled from online stores if they don't abide by the rules. I myelf could care less but it will happen.


The last thing this country needs is more laws...

 

Kids are going to play M mature games just as 17+ "not-so-mature adults" are going to play them. Sure it's annoying hearing a 10 year old over the mic on a game when you are just trying to relax, but find a different lobby then or mute them. Silly thread is silly


Every time there's a stupid shooting or act of violence by a kid or teen people blame video games so you know stricter laws are coming. Even though it has nothing to do with any game. It's always the lack of parenting that causes the problem. Lack of parenting is why all the annoying kids are playing games. It's so the parents don't have to look after them.


We prevent it from coming interrupting nonsense with logic and ideology. Freedom is paramount

Message 23 of 48 (277 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/14/2013
Online
5876 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

CaptainAlbator wrote:

awtacular wrote:

Black0Panther wrote:

awtacular wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

awtacular wrote:

glaciusx25 wrote:

Problem is, there's no feasibility to this.

 

How are you going to prove who is underage and who isn't?


Require a valid credit card on file. Not a debit card. It won't be fool proof but it would help eliminate majority of the problem. If you don't want to giv e a vaild credit card then you don't play online. Simple as that. If your afraid it might get hacked, I got news for you. People can get your info from anything. You don't have to use your credit card online to have your info stolen so don't come up with that lame excuse as to why they shouldn't require a credit card.


No debit cards? Then even I can't play (I'm 21, but I only have a debit card because I don't want a credit card)

 

Also what's to stop parents from just making an account for their kids to play on? People use their parent's card all the time.

 

Requiring a credit card would only make a different crowd mad.


Anyone can get a debit card. You have to be 18 to get a credit card for most companies in the US. And again, I didn't say it would be fool proof.


It stops nothing all you need is a valid debit card and these same people can access the PSN and games.

 


If they set their system up to require a credit card and not a debit card the system can tell the difference between the two. Sooner or later it's going to come to this with all the bs laws they are making so get use to the idea.


Debit cards have a "credit" option, where they pay for purchases 30 days after you make them. That's why when you pay for something with a debit card they ask "Will that be credit or debit?". 


Ok, now back to the theory of requiring a credit card on file and not a debit card. Again anyone can get a debit card. Now back to everyones question why do stores ask if it's debit or credit when they scan their atm/debit card. It's simple. It's because the system can tell the difference between a debit card and a credit card. As stated you can use a debit card for credit as well so they give you the option. Now if you scan a credit card anywhere it doesn't ask you is it credit or debit because it knows it's a credit card. In other words it knows the difference between a credit card and a debit card. Which is why a credit card is more feasible for age verification because you have to be 18 to get one.

Message 24 of 48 (273 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 11/30/2008
Offline
3220 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014
There is really no way to keep kids from playing these games online because parents will always buy them these games and supply the internet to them. Yea I do understand the point of wanting to not have them playing these games online but seriously though this is why I love playing offline games.
Message 25 of 48 (272 Views)
Gaming Beast
Registered: 12/28/2011
Online
1925 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014
What gaming company would try to make access to their games more difficult. They would lose lose tons of money. Lets be honest here to a company money> everything. They would risk their profits because some people feel like it's hurting their fun.
Message 26 of 48 (249 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 11/14/2013
Online
5876 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

far-zan wrote:
What gaming company would try to make access to their games more difficult. They would lose lose tons of money. Lets be honest here to a company money> everything. They would risk their profits because some people feel like it's hurting their fun.

DICE/EA. They had age restrictions with BF. It went by the date you used for your birthday when you signed up your account.

Message 27 of 48 (237 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
Registered: 09/16/2013
Offline
1578 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

I for sure will not be getting a credit card so I don't get into debt, so it will make lots of gamers angry if you have to input a credit card when not everybody wants them.

Message 28 of 48 (233 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
Registered: 04/05/2003
Offline
13294 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

awtacular wrote:

far-zan wrote:
What gaming company would try to make access to their games more difficult. They would lose lose tons of money. Lets be honest here to a company money> everything. They would risk their profits because some people feel like it's hurting their fun.

DICE/EA. They had age restrictions with BF. It went by the date you used for your birthday when you signed up your account.


Right easy fix make account with real BDay. dont work. Make new account with false BDay. all fix and Dice/EA have no clue this even happened and cant even stop it either.

Message 29 of 48 (222 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
Registered: 09/23/2010
Offline
4031 posts
 

Re: Ban Kids From Rated M Games Online

May 27, 2014

It won't work. Part of the problem is that parents just don't seem give a crap. As for congress blaming violent video games for violent crimes, I don't remember Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem walking into a school and shooting people up. The best thing to do would be try to get more parents aware of the rating system, how to use parental controls, and if the consoles don't do it already, update the firmware so you have to be logged into a parental account to create sub accounts to make it harder for little kids to create their own special M-rated bypass accounts. Add in a parental control password as part of the process just so the kids can't click on their parent's account and create a new one.

 

Extreme? Maybe, but it seems like a better solution than requiring a credit card.

To live a life of power, you must have faith that what you believe is right, even if others tell you you're wrong. The first thing you must do to live a life of power is to find courage. You must be ready to reach beyond the boundaries of Time itself. And to do that, all you need is the will to take that first step. - Sonic CD Japanese front cover
Message 30 of 48 (212 Views)