Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 16 2013
By: am7augmented First Son 6 posts

Backing up / upgrading My PS3 Hard Drive

7 replies 281 views Edited Jan 16, 2013

Already found the hard drive, but i'm unsure what the easiest way to transfer the data is. 

A method i considered is:

Buy a used ps3 with the same capacity as my current one.

Then transferring the data from my current console onto the used console.

I'd double-check the data onthe used console, then install the new hard drive in my current console.

Then i'd double check if my current console is working with the new hard drive

Then transfer all the data from the used console back onto my current console (that now has the new hard drive in it).

THEN i'd double check the data on teh current console, format the used console and return it.

Would that work? I don't have an external drive big enough to hold 120 gigs of data. Would it be easier to transfer it to the new hard drive via some sort of usb adapter? I've heard that the ps3 will format a hard drive upon removal and i don't wanna lose all my save data, rock band songs, PS+ games, etc. I know i can re-download most of that stuff, but that would be TEDIOUS.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 8 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Re: Backing up / upgrading My PS3 Hard Drive

Jan 16, 2013
Why return a console when you can buy the external drive and get a refund on the external drive?

If you do want to get the used console, just pull the drive from that one, put your new one in there, then transfer the data once?
Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 8 (267 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 16, 2013

It'd be MUCH easier to get a refund on a used console than a new external drive.

I'm leary of used consoles perhaps having hardware issues. I don't know what the previous owners have done to / with them. I've never had an issue with my PS3 (which i bought new maybe 2 years ago) and i don't mind adding a step or two for peace of mind. Also, if i used a second console to transfer, i'd still have to return a console. I highly doubt they'd accept a return on a used console with a different serial number.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 8 (264 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Jan 16, 2013
How is it easier? You take the drive back to the store and say it wasn't working and you already bought another one somewhere else. They can't question refunding you for a "defective" product.

I don't understand what you're saying there. I was talking about you taking the new HDD, put it into the used console, transfer data from your PS3 to the used PS3 with your new HDD inside of it, then take the new HDD with all of your data and put it into your PS3. But I just found out that doesn't work like that because everytime you put a new hard drive into a PS3 it forces you to reformat it.
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 8 (255 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16811 posts

Jan 16, 2013

This person is talking about commiting fraud and you're helping? I'm surprised. :smileysurprised:

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 8 (249 Views)
Lombax Warrior
178 posts

Jan 17, 2013

if you have ps+ , u just upload them cloud storage , redownload your games from ps store you only need to back up movies music and pictures

i don't have a pc i use ps3 browser
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 8 (233 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1245 posts

Jan 17, 2013

If there is nothing wrong with your current PS3, buy a new internal replacement HDD and the external device.  Backup whatever media (movies, videos, pictures, etc) to the external HDD, back up your game saves to the PS+ cloud, and remember to also back up items like PSOne and PS2 save files.

Then put your new internal HDD in your current PS3.  Then restore from the cloud (there may be some restrictions on protected data) and your external HDD.  You will have to re-download games, patches, etc.

Keep your external HDD for regular backups and the like.  You can also use it for other things besides your PS3.

I can't say that I support the rest.  If you buy a used PS3, unless you are getting it from eBay, you should get some sort of warranty, however since you have no intent on keeping it, why do you care?  Also, as soon as you put your HDD in another PS3 (i.e. different serial numbers), the PS3 will force you to format the HDD.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 8 (224 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
6 posts

Jan 23, 2013

So i just snagged a CHEAP ps3 off craigslist, with the intention of selling it again once i do this hard drive switch. Is my original method still valid? 

If all else fails, i did get a second blu-ray player for my house, a couple games i wanted (LBP, AC III, and the Ratchet & Clank Collection!!) for $120. 

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 8 (148 Views)
0 Likes