Dec 15 2012
By: komentra Splicer 43 posts

Backing up game saves to flash drive.

20 replies 137 views Edited Dec 15, 2012

I'm about to install a 1TB hard drive in my PS3 to replace my full 320gb HD.  I don't mind downloading all my games again but I don't want to lose my game saves and I've read that you can back up your game saves to a USB Flash Drive. With that said, I formatted the flash drive to FAT32 and my PS3 recognizes the drive but whenever I go to my game saves and press triangle and attempt to copy to the flash drive it says it's unauthorized.

Can anyone help me out or explain what's going on? Or did they remove the feature with a firmware update?

Message 1 of 21 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8194 posts

Re: Backing up game saves to flash drive.

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

Delete all your game data in the Game Data Utility (not savedata!), then uninstall all your installed games, then take off all your photos and videos and store them somewhere else.

Then, use the Backup Utility to backup your data, with your savefiles.

Some game savedata has to be moved using the backup tool, it's the dev's decision and not Sony.

Note: On LittleBigPlanet 1 and 2 (and Karting?), you have to use the in-game Backup tool.

======

Or, if you have a USB drive large enough, use the backup utility to backup ALL your data (installed games, DLC, etc.) and then restore them to save you the time of redownloading content.

Message 2 of 21 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Dec 15, 2012
I didn't really want to do that because I wanted to take the old hard drive and put it away in case the new one is damaged or if something goes wrong I could just put it back in and be right back where I was.

But if thats the only way to keep my game saves then I guess that's what I will be doing.
Message 3 of 21 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Dec 15, 2012

komentra wrote:
I didn't really want to do that because I wanted to take the old hard drive and put it away in case the new one is damaged or if something goes wrong I could just put it back in and be right back where I was.

But if thats the only way to keep my game saves then I guess that's what I will be doing.

Does't work that way friend. As soon as you replace your PS3s HDD with a new one you cannot revert back to an old HDD without formating first. I would use the complete system back-up tool in the XMB. Swap drives and then restore to the new drive. You'll need an external HDD with enough space but it's the safest way. 

Message 4 of 21 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2904 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

Neither one of you answered his question lol...... he's trying to figure out why his flash thumb drive isn't being recognized or w/e. And I have no idea, I just tried mine it's fine. I've never formatted a flash drive before putting it in the PS3, and I've used two different ones on it.

On a side note, I've seen so many yes or no answers all over the web..... does anyone know for a fact if backing up the system to a external HD (before you swap drives) will copy the COPY LOCKED game saves? Or is my only option buying Plus for 3 months just to do that when i swap drives (uploading them to Cloud)?

Message 5 of 21 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Ah, okay. Thank you two for the help.

Message 6 of 21 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

DragonIrons wrote:

Neither one of you answered his question lol...... he's trying to figure out why his flash thumb drive isn't being recognized or w/e. And I have no idea, I just tried mine it's fine. I've never formatted a flash drive before putting it in the PS3, and I've used two different ones on it.

On a side note, I've seen so many yes or no answers all over the web..... does anyone know for a fact if backing up the system to a external HD (before you swap drives) will copy the COPY LOCKED game saves? Or is my only option buying Plus for 3 months just to do that when i swap drives (uploading them to Cloud)?

No, Doppelgangergang answered the question just fine (and also answered yours). "Some game savedata has to be moved using the backup tool, it's the dev's decision and not Sony." AKA some game saves are copy protected and hence cannot be copied to a flash drive.

Message 7 of 21 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

Dec 15, 2012

Does that mean once I delete all the game data and make it where I can use the PS3 backup utility with the storage I have on a thumb drive that the game saves that it wouldnt let me move in the first place won't copy over? Because it's not letting me copy ANY.

Message 8 of 21 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2904 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

DragonIrons wrote:

No, Doppelgangergang answered the question just fine (and also answered yours). "Some game savedata has to be moved using the backup tool, it's the dev's decision and not Sony." AKA some game saves are copy protected and hence cannot be copied to a flash drive.

Um, no he didn't, might want to re-read everything..... Koma is trying to figure out why the PS3 wont' recognize his THUMB DRIVE.  From what he said in his first post it seems he's not going to BOTHER backing up the PS3, and just copy his saves to a thumb drive. Dopple just talked about backing up the PS3.. And I think you read that part you quoted a bit wrong. Or it didnt' quite answer mine... ya some game saves "HAVE" to be moved using the backup utility, which would indicate copy locked saves.... but the problem is I've seen some people say it doesn't work at all. So does it or not? I know full well some game saves are copy protected and cant' be moved to a flash drive, that's why i'm asking rofl

EDIT: I guess my question regarding backups doesn't really matter now that I think about it, at least to me. I AM going to swap for a 1 TB drive within the next year so...... Either way I guess I'll find out. If i have to replay a few games o well.

Message 9 of 21 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
43 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 15, 2012

Well actually the PS3 DOES recognize the thumb drive. It just simply won't let me move ANY of my saves to it. None of them. It says unauthorized when attempting.

Message 10 of 21 (81 Views)
0 Likes