Highlighted
Apr 25 2013
By: Chedwidden Hekseville Citizen 275 posts

BACKWARDS /COMPATIBILITY OWNERS __or__ The B/C Players Round Table

22 replies 551 views Edited Apr 25, 2013

Robot surprised Let's start this thread right. 

I'd like to start this thread as a Round Table for those persons (Nationally and Globally) who are ACTIVELY involved in the B/C part of the Playstation gaming.  In effect, I'd like to invite (and respectfully only include) you in this thread if you are:

Robot winkThe rare owners of B/C PS3 models that are still functioning, and looking to keep them running and playing b/c titles.

Robot HappyGamers who LOST their b/c compatibility and want some shared advice on how to find worthy used-consoles (and if it's worth their $$ and risk).

Robot LOL Retro Gamers who have decided to get a b/c PS3 and are interested in which b/c titles work for that model, or which b/c titles still have ONLINE player access (...yes SOME PS2 titles STILL have functioning online servers...shock).

Robot Very HappyPS2 (yes TWO) owners who LOVED their PS2 Online games, and want to share net-config knowledge and memory card building knowldge with new b/c PS3 owners. 

In that respect, pleeaase...

I'd like this not to be a thread about expressing our heavy debate (VERY HEAVY) about the value of backward compatibility that Sony had in its arguably superb Playstation 3 console...

This is NOT a thread started for those of us who want to get drunk together and cry together, 'bout how we wish they had kept full PS2 backwards compatibility in all the progressive PS3 consoles.

This is NOT a thread started for those of us who are protesting the lack of B/C in the PS4 pending unveiling.  We've done that alot, and if Sony still wants to disregard that function in their future gear, they have every right to (unfortunately). 

So if you have bragging rights on owning one of the first PS3s and you're enjoying its b/c alot, please brag here.  And if you're running into problems with repair options, used console options, or retro collection hunting, you may find folks on this thread who are willing to SHARE ALOT.

Details about your model or games is KEY to sharing knowledge at a table, so when you post, remember to tell something about your device's year, or age, or special add-on parts you have with it, and the WAY you use your console the most (helpful when trying to pick a new b/c game or fix a problem in your console...)

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

I'll miss your contributuions, Eterne.
Message 1 of 23 (551 Views)
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Re: BACKWARDS /COMPATIBILITY OWNERS __or__ The B/C Players Round Table

Apr 25, 2013

Thanks for the invite!  I'm proud to belong somewhere finally, LOL.

I have had several 60GB PS3's over the years and recently aquired my current one.

I have been playing PS2 games every weekend since i got it, its so amazing to go back and play all the greats like:

-Starwars Battlefront 1/2

-Hulk Ultimate Destruction

-Justice League Heroes

-GoW

-Mercenaries

-etc

Lately its been all Justice League Hereos, what a great game with so much content.  I must have 20 hours in there already, been playing split screen with a buddy, remember when consoles were about real life people playing together?

PS2 best console of all time, PS3 close second.

Also I have all the older console games on my phone, like NES, SNES,etc.

Retro gamer for life!

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 2 of 23 (544 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Apr 25, 2013
Speaking of Details....

My first model PS3 was the 60GB Fat launch version, and at that time I had a ton of PS2 games I hadn't even started playing yet and a few PS1 games I was halfway through. So I bought the PS3 to REPLACE my PS2 unit, and deliberately have all three consoles in one.

The plan worked so well, that I've beaten many of my PS2 games ON my PS3 instead of on my old PS2. (the HDMI on a big screen showed me those tiny targets I kept missing on the PS2's scart cable).

When my 60GB finally died (a good death after 6 years clean service), I had a HARD journey back to obtaining a replacement.
Surprisingly, the b/c PS3 environment is like a Black Market of danger out there. Expensive traps await.

Also suprisingly, I found at least ONE old PS2 game that's still alive online (woah!), so I'm combing through my PS2 collection to try the online access on all of them.

(See my Star Wars Battlefronts thread for PS2!~)

Sad goodbyes and a Universe of good wishes to the 49, especially to CCP Eterne...
Because no story or character (not even an Eve character) can have a life without writers and publishers.

Message 3 of 23 (541 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Apr 25, 2013
Welcome Phillyblunz!!

(Since I'm talking about Round Table, maybe I ought to say welcome Sir Phillyblunz!!)

Starwars Battlfront 1/2 fan, YESSSS!! When I mentioned a FEW PS2 titles are still accessible online, Battlefront is one of them. Not an easy server to connect to, but you might want to see my post on the Battlefront games and try it.

I agree, the PS2 is just a touch better than the PS3 (the total sales and game fascination says it all).

Is your recently-acquired PS3 the ONLY one that was B/C, or did you always stay with b/c with every 60GB unit you had over the years?

Message 4 of 23 (535 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

Apr 25, 2013
If PS4 isn't backwards compatible with PS1,2 and 3 Games I will not get one
**bleep** You Sony!
Message 5 of 23 (529 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 29, 2013

Smiley FrustratedTsuko-blue...

Okay, let's try this:  Do you have a b/c PS3 unit, and what PS2 or PS1 games do you value your PS3 unit for?

In the meantime, I found out the Star Wars Battlefront ONE (the first one) also has a surviving server still running.  Cool!  I will try to post the address in the GAMES area of this website. 

A rough count of PS2 games I had transferred, and beaten on my PS3 Smiley Happy(after only halfway through them on my PS2):

• Brothers in Arms (Hill 30)...Good, tough game in single player; beautiful french pastel graphics on the PS3
  • Brothers in Arms (Earned Blood)...same as above
  • Medal of Honor - Rising Sun...um, just okay. 
  • 007 Nightfire - nice game, second only to Everything or Nothing in the PS2 James Bond games.

PS2 games I succeeded in beating only on the PS3, Smiley Mad(after being stuck on the LAST level 300 times and given up trying any more on my PS2) : 

• 007 Agent Under Fire... the enemies on that *bleep* mag-lev monorail were too far away to target on the PS2...the HDMI of the PS3 gave me a nice blow-up on my tv. 

• Tomb Raider Chronicles... actually a PS1 game.  On the LAST level of this game, the Playstation had an unforgivable glitches that stopped you from going any further, and destroyed the last hour of your progress.  After I abandoned the game unfinished for nearly two years, I used the PS3's unlimited virtual memory card utility and a lot of cunning to work a way around the glitches, and reach the last CG cut scene of the game.  (Actually the most AWFUL of any game in the Tomb Raider series...but my pride wouldn't let me leave it unfinished.)

• Goldeneye Rogue Agent ...the guys with the *bleeeepin'* magnetic shields in the last round conference room kept killing me, only five *bleeepin'* minutes away from the CG ending of the game--and I *bleepin'* HATED the way they kept MOONWALKING away from you like *bleepin* Woody Wookpecker making fun of my *bleeepin'* poor aim!  I left this game on the shelf for six years, fed up with the last level.

...until I tried it on the PS3.   FLAWLESS VICTORY!!!! (after only six hours of getting killed). 

• Heroes of the Pacific - The frustration of this game was it's game designers did what I call "cheating" the player.  You're given a task in each level in order to complete the level...but the moment you complete it, "oh, by the way, here's another task we just found out about", and if you accomplish that, "oh my gosh, by the way, we just got ANOTHER emergency hoop you have to jump through, now that you're out of rockets and low on health, but we promise this is the last task...except, oh and..." 

The Iwo Jima level is the last level, and I get stuck on (what I think is) the LAST "by the way" enemy I must dogfight. 

...I haven't beaten that enemy in the dogfight yet (not in three whole years).

...I plan to drop that PS2 disc in my 80GB PS3 this Saturday night.  (...HDMI cable included, 36-inch LCD screen...better bring three pairs of diapers baby.  I won't let you climb out your cockpit this time til one of us is kissing his controller).

The count of PS2 games I transferred to PS3, am still only half through all the levels (playin’ and gradually getting’ through the fun):

• Call of Duty Finest Hour

• Call of Duty Big Red One:  arguably the best of all Cod and MoH titles that came out on PS2!

• Medal of Honor Frontline

• Medal of Honor  European Assault

• Medal of Honor  Vanguard:  this was meant to be just a quick cheapo teaser for those who salivated for the MoH Airborne about to be released on PS3, but turned out to be my second-best recommended title in all the Cod and MoH discs on PS2.  Vicious fun.

PS2 games I have, (only customized my settings on the PS2 console, never got around to playing them yet) destined to play on my PS3, all in good time:

• The Getaway:  the first game to have enough foul language in it to **bleep** off my family members.  All the London criminal slang that takes me back home to England.

• The Getaway II

• Colin Macrea Rally 3

• Final Fantasy VIII

• Shadow of the Colossus

• Gun

• Metal Gear Solid:  Snakeater

• Tomb Raider Legend

• SOCOM 

• SOCOM II

• SOCOM III  (PS3 even accepts my old Socom wired headset, no prob)

• Ace Combat 4  (PS3 even works with old Hori flight stick controller for these games)

• Ace Combat 5

• Ace Combat Zero

• Tomb Raider Anniversary

• The Mark of Kri

• Mark of Kri—Rise of the Kasai

• Onimusha

• Onimusha 2

• Dropship

• Metal Gear Solid  Sons of Liberty

• SW Revenge of the Sith

• SW The Force Unleashed  (PS2 version)

Message 6 of 23 (505 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

Apr 29, 2013
I kissed my controller on Saturday night 11:30 pm. After not trying the game since mid-2010, I played Heroes of the Pacific (since 2010, got stuck on the last boss of the last level, and had given up). I was familiar with the tricks and gimmicks the designers used to “cheat” the player out of getting through this level too fast---so the front 85% of the level was easy to negotiate---somehow a PS3 on HDMI makes you more confident about succeeding (??!!). Took only seven do-overs to shoot down the last boss and his cronies, trip the long CG conclusion video, and close this game out.

I’m a dedicated owner of the 60GB CECHA , but man I’m learnin’ to love the 80GB MGS edition unit.

Message 7 of 23 (464 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Apr 29, 2013

Chedwidden wrote:
Welcome Phillyblunz!!

(Since I'm talking about Round Table, maybe I ought to say welcome Sir Phillyblunz!!)

Starwars Battlfront 1/2 fan, YESSSS!! When I mentioned a FEW PS2 titles are still accessible online, Battlefront is one of them. Not an easy server to connect to, but you might want to see my post on the Battlefront games and try it.

I agree, the PS2 is just a touch better than the PS3 (the total sales and game fascination says it all).

Is your recently-acquired PS3 the ONLY one that was B/C, or did you always stay with b/c with every 60GB unit you had over the years?

I tried SWBF online back when I first got my PS3, was the first time as I had no internet back in the PS2 days, once I moved out of my parents house anyways.

I have a few PS3 games still in the plastic and was hoping to do as you did and play them on the PS4 to completion, would have been great incentive to buy a PS4 day one for sure, now I'mma wait for a price drop or must have games, etc.

I first had a 60GB ps3, paid the most any ps3 ever cost new, believe it or not it cost me $699 + tax + warrenty, total of about $880.

It got really quiet one day so I thought the fan stopped working, it still ran fine but being paranoid I took it to futurshop for warrenty repair.  After 2 months of waiting they tell me it got lost!!!!  I had a "loner" from them in the meantime which i then returned and after many trips back to the store and fighting with management i arranged to recieve the entire $880 back!!

Which I then got a worker to check the back room for an open box ps3, they found a 60GB with a 80GB HDD and sold it to me for about $460 + tax + warrenty.

A year or so goes by and my nephew comes over, while playing an extended gaming session he dropped one of my surround sound speakers on the PS3 and it messed up.  (being hot then being shocked apparently kills these things, LOL)

From then on it didnt play PS3 games very well, playing Demon's Souls for a while and graphical errors began and got crazy to the point you cant see the screen sometimes, I call it poling.  (Large black lines across the screen which move in 3D based on player position)

I bought another PS3 for PS3 games and used the 60Gb for everything else.  

At this point I said screw Futureshop and bought a PS3 from Staples with a 4yr warrenty.  It was a 250GB slim first gen.

I kept the 60GB right until its warrenty was about to expire as it still played PS2 games, blurays and streaming media completely fine, I didnt want to give up the usb ports, card readers and BC, but in the end decided I should use the warrenty i paid for.

Again I got all my money back including warrenty(I knew exactly how this time).

At this point I said screw Futureshop and bought a PS3 from Staples with a 4yr warrenty.  It was a 250GB slim first gen.

One day a co-worker tells me his 80GB phat died and was gonna throw it out, I said give it to me!!!  He did and I found a console in pieces as he trashed it getting his disk out, after much time and effort i breathed new life into the beast and still have it today.

When I took it back I got in store credit so I bought a 320GB slim drakes bundle and still had money left from my first PS3 purchase to buy some games, I actually still have like $60 store credit, LOL.

SO then i had 3 ps3's but knew a buddy with a 60Gb phat and over the years he converted to 360 so this machine was gathering dust like crazy but not any wear or tear.

He recently needed some electrical work done so i proposed he up the phatty and I would complete any work he required.

He went for it and I have been in PS2 heaven for the last month or so!!

Its actually kinda nice having a PS3 on each tv for streaming and I just got netflix and love it.

Now if only Sony never took away my 5 activations I would be set playing local multiplayer games full screen 4 player!!!

For now I will have to do with 2 player full screen I guess, **bleep** broken promises and lies, why Sony why?!?!?!

So thats my story.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 8 of 23 (448 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5694 posts

Apr 29, 2013

I have a limited time 80G B/C model being shipped to me whilemy Slim is under warrnty repair. I mostly just use it for GTA PS2 games. after i get it from storage i may have go through my local pawn shops supply of old PS2 titles.

images.jpg

Message 9 of 23 (443 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
275 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 30, 2013

To Phillyblunz (Sir Phillyblunz): 

Smiley Very HappySmiley Very HappySmiley LOL  Your story made my day!  I thought I was the only one who had a PS3 odyssey, but yours was more fun to read that mine would be.

Bought mine in 2007, stood it vertically on the carpet in an undisturbed corner of my bedroom (behind a chair). 

NEVER moved it from there for five years---NEVER vacuumed it or compressed air, cuz I thought my venerable PS3 will last indefinitely (I was completely unaware of the owner problems being ranted on the internet (Internet?  I got no time for that--I'm busy having too much fun in single-player mode on my games). 

Smiley SadYeah... I was stupid AND antisocial where PS3 and online gaming was concerned.

On the sixth year (can't figure how the unit lasted THIS long) an odd "ray" line started showing up in my glorious Sturmovik Birds of Prey sky graphics, and it wouldn't let me play  this one PS3 game calld Conan, (the screen would go black entirely). 

That's when I visited the internet and first learned about the RYLOD, YLOD, dust and fans, etc.  Smiley Surprised

My console must have been reading the internet over my shoulder, cuz a week later it pulled a YLOD.

(..I shouldn't say it like that--I know my PS3 gave its heart and soul for me). 

There's a renowned place in NYC called XCubicle.  I took it to them, but they could only restore a pulse, and the screen would go blank after 2 minutes. 

(Like a doctor telling you your pet dog is alive again, but a veggie on the bed forever).  I HAD TONS AND TONS OF GAME DATA ACCUMULATED ON THAT UNIT;  7 PS3 games, nearly 40 PS2 and PS1 titles carefully merged onto 15 internal virtual memory cards...impossible to build again from scratch. 

But X-Cubicle did manage to make the unit functionally conscious for 2-MINUTE INTERVALS at a time! 

If I could get a replacement unit, and get through all the steps in the Data Transfer setup menu in under two minutes flat, I might have a snowball's chance to initiate the Data Transfer procedure before the screen goes blank. 

To carry out my Dr Frankenstein plan, I got a Sony Refurb on Amazon.com, b/c 60GB for $400.   

• After trying and failing 8 times, I was able to make the data transfer, and beam all its memory into the refurb unit.  Smiley Wink
  • Then, I took my ole' crippled 60GB unit out the back yard, and put a rifle round through it head.  Smiley Sad  (..couldn't let it suffer any longer--I loved that stallion.)
  • Played with my refurb 60GB unit for about 3 hours..........AND IT WENT YLOD Smiley Surprised.....Smiley Mad.....

Smiley Embarassed

Smiley Sad     

Smiley Indifferent    

...Smiley Frustrated 

Took the *bleeeeep*ing YLODed refurb to X-cubicle, and prayed they could fully restore it.  They did, but I learned my first pricey lesson:  DON'T BUY A SONY REFURB.  Don't trust the word "refurb" at all.

Knowing it was just a matter of time (days, weeks, hours) before that refurb went YLOD again, I began hunting for a REAL 60GB replacement on the internet, trudging through frauds, tricksters, and con artists. 

An Amazon seller from the UK sold me a NTSC, sealed, unopened, 60GB b/c unit with free shipping and insurance for $700...but it never got delivered to me.  (Told my credit card company, and they jumped on Amazon like a junkyard dog, and I got my refund). 

Nearly (almost!) bought from two other sellers whose ads were “refurbs” described as “new in brown box” or “new with red controller/no manual”.  

Finally found a mint unopened 60GB launch model from an Amazon seller in Texas ($1100), and was so happy to get it, I couldn't bring myself to play with it.  Smiley LOL I just did a firmware update and Data Transfer on it, and hid it in my attic for...the Future. 

Went over to Ebay (not visited since 2008), and found cheaper offers. 

Bought a mint, sealed 60GB fat from a seller in Tennessee. 

When the shipment arrived, the retail box had property labels all over it from the MONTGOMERY COUNTY MARYLAND POLICE Dept!!  Smiley Surprised (a contraband PS3, maybe from a police bust or fugitive suspect confiscation...COOL) .  THIS is my NEW baby!  A Tennessee moonshiner that had a brush with the Law.  This is my ONE.

I opened it, did a data transfer, and hoooked this one to stand exactly where my first PS3 stood.  And with another new PS3 still in the box in storage, I’m a made man.

But then I spot this Ebay seller from PA; 

He and his wife are selling a used 60GB unit for $250, and no bidders seemed interested.  Says he bought it for his nephews to play when they visited twice a year; he doesn’t know much about playstations, but he photographed the serial number in his ad.  I researched it was a 80GB MGS edition (limited numbers made),…so I snagged it (why not?).  

Along the journey my PS3 tech know-how has advanced, so by now I can disassemble and inspect these units on my own:  he wasn’t lying about how little it was used; the 80GB he sold me was SPOTLESS inside, with less dust than a 6-month old unit.  El DORADO!!  I’m still learning all the subtle differences between the 60gb hard-b/c and the 80gb “software-b/c”, but it is El Dorado.

One late night I spot an Ebay seller from Marina Del Ray, CA. 

He’s got a mint, never-opened 60GB “free Talladega Nights bluray movie inside” launch model for only $700. (it’s the only thing he’s sold in four years, so I’m thinking he’s on tough times, needs to keep his rent up, and is selling what he can find in his closet.)…  I snag it too (why not?). I buried that one in the attic too, like pirate’s loot.

So I figure, if a new PS3 under my level of use lasts about 6 years, I have three mint new ones, and I’m set to live PS4-free until the year 2035. (I was never sold on a PS4 idea anyway...) 

And the 80GB mgs console?  That's just my bonus reward for being kind to animals when I was younger. 

But then I spot an Ebay seller in Wash DC, selling a used unit for $150. 

It’s NOT b/c.  It’s a 40GB CECHG series unit, and it just had a bluray drive replacement (if you ever read about the CECH-G models, this is perfectly understandable). 

I snag it…not cuz I’m addicted but because:  I bought TWO new 60gb b/c’s so I never have to be without a PS3 fat ever again…I’ll pamper my current, police-history Tenn 60gb unit so I never have to open the two other new boxes…I’ve got the used 80GB working for me so I’ll never have to work my Tennessee 60gb as hard as I worked my first PS3….AND now I can use the non-b/c 40GB to take the online PS3-games stress off of the used 80GB b/c unit which is in too good condition to abuse just because I bought it “used”.   

A Victor Frankenstein plan, but now I can say “It’s alive.  It’s alive!  It’s ALIVE!”

This whole transformation from solo 60GB non-social owner, to online-saavy PS3 wiseman (wisecracker?) who is now joining and sharing on playstation forums…took from Nov 2012 to Mar 2013,a 5-month journey from YLOD to four-B/C’s.    

Message 10 of 23 (408 Views)
0 Likes