I was wondering if anybody is having or have had issues with downloading from PSN. I'm trying to download the BF3 expansions, and it has already taken over 6 hours to download a 1326 mb file...and it's only currently at 60% complete. I should note that I'm on a wireless network, and any help with networking would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know too much about it).
Pause the download, go to network settings and then test the network connection. Report back the download and upload speed numbers, also what security your wireless network is using (WPA, WPA2, etc). How fast is your connection usually? What kind of connection do you have with your ISP and what are the speed rates?
This is a well-documented problem with PSN, and a number of articles can be found on Google. To summarize a few of the tips:
- This problem is intermittent, but occurs more frequently on wireless
- Using WEP instead of WPA security generally increases wireless throughput. As the post above suggests, test your upload/download speed. PS3 wireless supports 54Mbps, so you should be able to get your full throughput from your ISP.
- Some people have reported success changing their DNS servers to OpenDNS or Google
- Make sure all required ports are open on your wireless router
- Try a different wireless router if you have one available to see if the problem is with your router
- If all else fails, try a wired connection. If you can't run a wire directly to the PS3 because it is too far away, a second wireless router can be used as an access point to wire the PS3.
I hope that these tips help. I don't personally have any issue with speed (I can stream a 7GB movie, or download a 10GB game in only 3-4 hours), but I am running on a wired connection.