01-24-2012 05:57 AM
The launch of the PlayStation Vita is just around the corner, and much has been said of its controls, portability, extensive game library, and ease of use, however we at the Community Team would like to draw your attention to what may be our favorite feature: augmented reality.
Augmented reality has so many potential ideas and avenues for gaming that we can't posibly come up with them all, which leads us to this contest!
Entering is simple, please reply to this thread with your idea for an augmented reality game. It could be a description, and image, a short video, or anything you may come up with. We are very curious where you see the realm of augmented reality gaming heading!
Start: Today! January 27th
End: February 15th
First place: One PlayStation Vita T-Shirt
Second place: A PlayStation Vita pen
Third place: A PlayStation Vita pen
-The Community Team
01-24-2012 05:59 AM
Augment Your Reality CONTEST – OFFICIAL RULES
1. NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. Contest begins January 27, 2012. To enter, you must have a PlayStation®Network ID, and an internet connection. Visit http://community.us.playstation.com/message/ for contest details. Log into the PlayStation Community Forum. Create an idea for an Augmented Reality game. Idea can be submitted by either writing a description, producing an image of the proposed game with written description, or producing a video of the proposed game with a verbal or written description and posting directly in the contest post. If creating a video, please submit a link to your video from your hosting site of choice.
All entries become the sole property of Sony Computer Entertainment America LLC. (“Sponsor”) and will not be returned. Entrants relinquish all rights to their entry and will not receive any compensation. By your submission, you acknowledge acceptance of, and compliance with these rules. Sponsor reserves the right to reject any entries that it deems, in its sole discretion, to be inappropriate including, but not limited to, gratuitous depictions of violence or sexual behavior, or positive depictions of alcohol or tobacco. The Submission must be the original, unpublished and sole work of the entrant. The Submission cannot defame or invade the rights or privacy of any person, living or deceased, or otherwise infringe upon any third party personal or proprietary rights. Use of any Sponsor copyrighted/trademarked images and/or assets (“Sponsor Materials”) is limited solely for the purpose of creating an entry for this contest only. Any further use of the Sponsor Materials is strictly prohibited.
Sony Computer Entertainment America (the “Sponsor”) is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated, illegible, incomplete or misdirected entries. To be valid, entries must be received no later than February 15, 2012 at 11:59 p.m. Limit one entry per person and PlayStation Network ID. Subsequent entries will be disqualified. Sony Computer Entertainment America (the “Sponsor”) is not responsible for lost, late, mutilated, illegible, incomplete or misdirected entries. Sponsor is not responsible for technical, hardware or software failures of any kind, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmissions which may limit an entrants ability to participate in the contest. Sponsor reserves the right in its sole discretion to cancel or suspend this sweepstakes should virus, bugs or other causes corrupt the administration, security or proper play of this sweepstakes. Entries not satisfying these Official Rules will be automatically disqualified.
2. PRIZES: Grand Prize winner will receive one (1) PlayStation Vita Tee Shirt. (approximate retail value $15.00). Second Prize winner will receive one (1) PlayStation Vita Pen (approximate retail value $5.00). Third Prize winner will receive one (1)PlayStation Vita Pen (approximate retail value $5.00). Sponsor reserves the right to substitute prize of equal or greater value if prize is unavailable. Prizes are non-transferable and no substitutions allowed.
3. WINNER(S): Winners will be determined based on the following criteria, 20% Imagination, 20% Originality, 50% Creativity, and 10% Brand Awareness. Sponsor, whose decision concerning all matters related to this Contest, is final. Drawing will be held on or about February 15, 2012 Winners shall be notified by mail and/or telephone. Please allow SIX TO EIGHT WEEKS for delivery of prizes.
4. ODDS OF WINNING: The odds of winning depend on number of valid entries received.
5. ELIGIBILITY: Promotion open to residents of United States who are 13 years of age or older only. Return of any prize/prize notification as undeliverable will result in disqualification and an alternate winner will be selected. Winner may be required to sign an affidavit of eligibility/release of liability/prize acceptance within 14 days of receipt or forfeit prize. If the winner is a minor, then prize may be awarded to winner’s parent or legal guardian. By acceptance of prize agrees to the use of their name and/or likeness for purposes of advertising, trade, or promotion without further compensation, unless prohibited by law. Employees of the Sponsor and its parent and affiliated companies and their families are not eligible. Neither the Sponsor nor its affiliates, subsidiaries, division or related companies are responsible for any damages, taxes, or expenses that winners might incur as a result of this sweepstakes or receipt of prize.
6. WINNER’S NAME: To obtain a list of winners, send a stamped, self-addressed envelope to: Augment Your Reality Contest Winners List, c/o SCEA Promotions Department, 919 E Hillsdale Blvd., Foster City, CA 94404. Winner’s Name requests will be fulfilled within four weeks after all prizes have been awarded. Requests for winner’s name must be received by March 15, 2012.
7. RESTRICTIONS: Void where prohibited or restricted by law.
8. SPONSOR(S): Sony Computer Entertainment America, Foster City, CA
01-27-2012 10:28 AM
I think it would be epic to play a game where you make the boss fights. That includes the environment ( something in your house or somewhere YOU don't like SCHOOL, COLLEGE, JOB ) and the Boss would be somebody you dislike eg. BOSS-PROFESSOR-MOTHER-IN-LAW, EX-WIFE etc. You could record the phrases you hate most to be used in the game. eg your boss saying something like, " we need more productivity!" Ex wife, " I need more child support! " You would obviously have to be stealthy getting their pics and phrases. I call the game......wait for it....wait for it..... REDEMPTION!!!!
01-28-2012 07:19 AM
Anybody familiar with doodle god? how about an AR game with various cards, where you can make various items/creatures and then use them to help a protagonist fighting some horrible beast/wizard/thing that are fighting right on your table top? it would be turn based (to give the player time to figure out what they might want to make, albeit with a timer - don't want to give the player to much time to think of a winning strategy), players could use created items/creatures against eachother in multiplayer (maybe upto four players?), and it would not have that ridiculous kiddie look - an art style more geared to teenagers/young adults, and its called Camalus' Challenge.
Angry Birds AR?
01-28-2012 07:35 AM
AR boss fight. You fight a giant monster destroying the city. The monster could be full sized and there could be virtual people running for their lives! Maybe there could be smaller monsters and a story, but it would be really cool if you could see a giant monster destroying wherever you are through the vita. The downside to this idea is that you would be swinging your psvita around like an idiot.
01-28-2012 07:55 AM
An AR card game. Something like magic the gathering. Maybe where you can throw down some of those AR cards and monsters or spells or whatever the game revolves around would appear on the table in front of you along with whatever your opponent puts down. Then you can duke it out card game style and have a little monster mayhem going on right around you.
01-28-2012 10:06 AM
I would love to see an AR yugioh game. That would be great to have cards just floating there on a table. Then having AR attacks.
It also would work very easy. Just throw out the defaut ps vita cards to make the field then the game does the rest.
Same thing with pokemon. Finally you would be able to see your pokemon go over there and acttack the other player.
Then AR pets would be nice. Eyepet was a cool game, and since the screen is touched you can pet your pet and talk to him.her with the mic.
Alot out of great things can come from augment reality gaming.
01-28-2012 11:13 AM
Eye of Judgement was an awesome concept for an AR card game but I would like to see what could be done with figurines instead of cards. Spyro Skylanders seems to be pretty popular so It would be cool to see that concept expanded upon by being able to actually use the figures outside of the game. Maybe have the vita set up an actual battlefield on the table and then use the figures to play a turn based game. The AR could even add attack effects for your figures when you are attacking another player's figure.
01-28-2012 12:29 PM
I would use the AR in conjunction with Dungeons and Dragons Pen and Paper game.
It would allow people to design their character then have everyone see them on the board through their vita. Adjust armor and weapons, all of the normal game appearance stuff one associates with a video game.
The DM could set up the board on the table ahead of time, establish what card is what creature (or this can be in conjunction with wizards of the coast, and have them sell creature cards) when the DM activates that card through his Vita, everyone sees the creature on the board through their Vitas. People could activiate their abilities on the Vita and see them play out, while still having the actual gameplay/Maliability of a Pen and Paper game.
It's not an amazing concept but it would be fun.