Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 15 2011
By: dpking44 First Son 3 posts

Audio Output through bluetooth headset

12 replies 84520 views Edited Jan 15, 2011

Hi, newbie here.  Just want to confirm that game play (sound) cannot be output through a bluetooth headset with the PS3?  I've tried everything in the book on settings, etc.  My Motorola S9 headset pairs fine and it seems to configure fine in "audio settings."  However, I can't hear anything from the game through the headset.  When playing online, what does everyone do regarding wireless headsets w/microphones for game play? 

Thanks

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (84,520 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Re: Audio Output through bluetooth headset

Jan 15, 2011

dpking44 wrote:

Hi, newbie here.  Just want to confirm that game play (sound) cannot be output through a bluetooth headset with the PS3?  I've tried everything in the book on settings, etc.  My Motorola S9 headset pairs fine and it seems to configure fine in "audio settings."  However, I can't hear anything from the game through the headset.  When playing online, what does everyone do regarding wireless headsets w/microphones for game play? 

Thanks

You might find someone who knows the answer somewhere in the PS3 forums.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (84,520 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19370 posts

Jan 15, 2011

dpking44 wrote:

Thanks

The PS3 does not send game audio through headsets (USB or Bluetooth).  Only voice chatter is sent through USB or Bluetooth.

For playing online everyone uses a USB/Bluetooth headset for chatter, and their TV/sound system speakers for game play sounds.

Or, they get a headset that has a connection to the composite sound cables, or digital optical, as well as USB.  They can get pricey, though.  But they are out there.

For voice chat, headset has to use USB, and for game sounds it'll have a breakout box of some sort that uses Digital Optical or the red/white composite cables.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (84,520 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Jan 16, 2011

Thank you, I appreciate the quick response.  Although disappointing, I appreciate your detailed answer on bluetooth headsets.  Is this a limitation of Bluetooth technology or a feature Sony hasn't incorporated into their boxes yet?  I assumed A2DP was capable of handling the audio output and voice chatter concurrently and Sony would have this technology on board with their units.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (84,520 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5189 posts

Jan 16, 2011

dpking44 wrote:

Thank you, I appreciate the quick response.  Although disappointing, I appreciate your detailed answer on bluetooth headsets.  Is this a limitation of Bluetooth technology or a feature Sony hasn't incorporated into their boxes yet?  I assumed A2DP was capable of handling the audio output and voice chatter concurrently and Sony would have this technology on board with their units.

It is just the way Sony wanted to impliment it, so that you could watch and listen to the game through your TV or sound system whilst chatting to other players through the headset so that you can co-operate on the gameplay and discuss tactics.

One thing you could do it attach some headphone to your tvs headphone socket if you want to keep from disturbing people. You could do this either via normal wired headphones, there are also some wireless ones that uses radio frequencies or you could buy a bluetooth adapter.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (84,520 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Nov 12, 2012

i have recently got some bluetooth head phones that have connected to the ps3 (they are sony ones too)

I want them for audio (in game) so i don't disturb my wife whilst shooting at things. I play most games in silent now!!

The only disc that i have had in game audio through them is the mega drive ul;timate collection. If you can get in game audio from this then why not the other games??

No2nuclear

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (81,170 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 29, 2012

the simple answer is after 6 years of firmware updates, 3 hardware revisions sony havent dealt with this glaring failing of their console, and this company who popularised the walkman dont understand the need for audio privacy via headphones ? it would not have killed them to put audio mixdown to stereo pair via bluetooth, it took 25mins to type this on ps3 controller.

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (79,893 Views)
First Son
2 posts

Nov 29, 2012

perhaps sony should stop worrying about they want, and start listening to what their customers want.

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (79,889 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 30, 2012
This the same Cannon Fodder I used to play DoD with? Sorry, a little off topic.
- Warpath
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (79,755 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
2 posts

Nov 30, 2012
Just realized cannon fodder isn't anyones name, it's on several names. On another note, i'm also bummed I can't do this with my Bluetooth.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (79,752 Views)
0 Likes