May 26 2014
By: AnnaMolIy First Son 6 posts

Attention Sony: Enough trashy free PS+ Vita games!

[ Edited ]
7 replies 260 views Edited May 27, 2014

Surge Deluxe? I check almost daily for what my PS+ subscription will get me for the Vita, the only console I care for of the bunch, and you give us the third cheap downloadable game in a row? Heck, the thing's only worth $5 when it isn't free. Pixeljunk Monsters was admittedly fun, but Velocity was trash, and I'll soon try Surge Deluxe because I don't have much of a choice, but we don't want cheap downloadables.

We only want titles that at least had the decency to have been released as physical PS Vita cartridges before. Use that as your measuring stick from now on, whoever decides the next PS+ Vita game. For example in my opinion the best offerrings ever since I joined were Street Fighter X Tekken and Soul Sacrifice: two quality Vita titles that had shipped as actual physical cartridge copies in the past, both complete with multiplayer.

Another tip: Rotate Vita titles more often. We've had Wipeout, Gravity Rush, and Uncharted--the three currently-available choices of acceptable quality--for way more than enough time.

Lastly I could actually supply my own personal suggestions of PS Vita titles many of us may enjoy as free PS+ titles, but, again, this is only one gamer's opinion, but, also again, you'll notice they're all past catridge releases. I also included games I personally already own but would still recommend for all PS+ users to be able to enjoy since PS+ is for all subscribers. Ignore any titles that may be too M-rated for PS+. And my list is sorted by release date, oldest to newest, as well as limited to pre-2014, since older titles are more likely possibilities:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND, Reality Fighters, Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Ragnarok Odyssey, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown, Killzone: Mercenary, Valhalla Knights 3

Just to give Sony a better idea of what we want: quality previous physical catridge releases, not cheap downloadables, and/or at least rotate the titles more often.

Thanks!

POST MOVED FROM PS PLUS SUPPORT. THANKS! -J_W

MOD EDIT: Added label. Check here for more information on labels. Thanks! -SillyFIsh5

Message 1 of 8 (260 Views)
MVP Support
29471 posts

Re: Attention Sony: Enough trashy free PS+ Vita games!

May 27, 2014

If this is just one gamer's opinion, then why are you using the pronoun "we" in your post?  Is that the royal "we".?

Let me explain how Playstation Plus works from Sony's side.  Sony doesn't own all of the games in the Playstation Store.  It only owns the Vita games that it published.  Sony doesn't have the right to give any of the other games away to Plus subscribers, unless it pays full price for each copy purchased; and that isn't going to happen with a $50/year subscription.  I assume that you understand that much. 

In order for a third-party game to be added to the Instant Game Collection, the publisher of the game has to agree to allow it to be included, and Sony must pay the publisher a fee for that consideration.  Some publishers aren't interested in their Vita games being offered for free to Plus members.  That especially applies to companies like Atlus, Nippon Ichi, Aksys, and other companies that localize Japanese games for the North American market.  Those games are a large percentage of the retail games available for the Vita, due to the fact that the Vita sells much better in Japan than it does here. Sony can't offer those companies enough money to make it worth it to them.  The same $50 per year has to pay for licenses for PS3, PS Vita, and now PS4 games.  You want Sony to spend all of the money on Vita games.  Well, guess what?  PS3 owners want Sony to spend all the money on PS3 games, and PS4 owners want Sony to spend all the money on PS4 games.  None of them are getting what they want either.  Publishers are generally disinterested in making their games free for Plus members while they are still selling at a decent rate in the store.  It only make sense for a major publisher to put a successful game in the Instant Game Collection when it has been on sale long enough to have sold about as many retail copies as it is going to sell. Sony also has to think that the game is popular enough with members to be worth the money. The more the game costs to license, the more members have to want it in order for it to make the cut.

Sony builds the Instant Game Collection for a console around Sony-published games, because it doesn't have to pay anyone for those.  That is why Wipeout 2048, Gravity Rush, and Uncharted : Golden Abyss are permanent members.  The other games are rotated, but not as quickly as on the PS3, which has a lot more domestic releases.  The PS4 mostly gets indie games, because the AAA games are all too new.  Retailers don't appreciate when a publisher lets Sony give a game to Plus subscribers before they have had a chance to sell their inventory. Most console video games are still purchased from retailers, so the publishers won't be making those guys angry, to make you happy.  Sorry.  Sony often has to fill in the Vita Instant Game Collection with indie games also, because there aren't that many domestic big-budget releases on the Vita.

By the way,  Zero Escape : Virtue's Last Reward was already in the Instant Game Collection.  You missed it.  The better third-party games tend not to stay for more than a month or so. Some of the other titles that you suggested might become available in the future.

GKP
Message 2 of 8 (237 Views)
Sackboy
531 posts

May 27, 2014

AnnaMolIy wrote:

Surge Deluxe? I check almost daily for what my PS+ subscription will get me for the Vita, the only console I care for of the bunch, and you give us the third cheap downloadable game in a row? Heck, the thing's only worth $5 when it isn't free. Pixeljunk Monsters was admittedly fun, but Velocity was trash, and I'll soon try Surge Deluxe because I don't have much of a choice, but we don't want cheap downloadables.

We only want titles that at least had the decency to have been released as physical PS Vita cartridges before. Use that as your measuring stick from now on, whoever decides the next PS+ Vita game. For example in my opinion the best offerrings ever since I joined were Street Fighter X Tekken and Soul Sacrifice: two quality Vita titles that had shipped as actual physical cartridge copies in the past, both complete with multiplayer.

Another tip: Rotate Vita titles more often. We've had Wipeout, Gravity Rush, and Uncharted--the three currently-available choices of acceptable quality--for way more than enough time.

Lastly I could actually supply my own personal suggestions of PS Vita titles many of us may enjoy as free PS+ titles, but, again, this is only one gamer's opinion, but, also again, you'll notice they're all past catridge releases. I also included games I personally already own but would still recommend for all PS+ users to be able to enjoy since PS+ is for all subscribers. Ignore any titles that may be too M-rated for PS+. And my list is sorted by release date, oldest to newest, as well as limited to pre-2014, since older titles are more likely possibilities:

Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3, Dungeon Hunter: Alliance, BlazBlue: Continuum Shift EXTEND, Reality Fighters, Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention, Silent Hill: Book of Memories, Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward, Ragnarok Odyssey, Call of Duty: Black Ops Declassified, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed, Dead or Alive 5 Plus, Muramasa Rebirth, Dragon's Crown, Killzone: Mercenary, Valhalla Knights 3

Just to give Sony a better idea of what we want: quality previous physical catridge releases, not cheap downloadables, and/or at least rotate the titles more often.

Thanks!

POST MOVED FROM PS PLUS SUPPORT. THANKS! -J_W

MOD EDIT: Added label. Check here for more information on labels. Thanks! -SillyFIsh5

Just get a Nintendo 3DS.

Message 3 of 8 (188 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1564 posts

[ Edited ]
May 28, 2014

If you dont like what PS+ has to offer, then go buy your games and $TFU

Message 4 of 8 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

May 28, 2014
Half the games you want on plus were already on plus lol. Also lol at dragon hunter alliance. Is like 1$ on ps3 and is a horrible game. Yet you want it for plus but denounce other better gsmes
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 5 of 8 (134 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
198 posts

May 28, 2014

If the rumored June EU leaked list is to be believed, we are getting Dragon Crown this month. I would say that's a **bleep** good title. 

I think Street Fighter was a great title too.

Message 6 of 8 (133 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13185 posts

May 28, 2014

tekkn1kal wrote:

If the rumored June EU leaked list is to be believed, we are getting Dragon Crown this month. I would say that's a **bleep** good title. 

I think Street Fighter was a great title too.

Make sure to give us a Source so "we" can check it out Smiley Happy

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 7 of 8 (107 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

May 28, 2014

I haven't been too upset with what Vita has offered on PlayStation Plus, for the fact that the majority of PlayStation Vita games generally released over the past two years haven't been of major interest. I've only just bought a Vita late last year. With it I bought a few games I was inclined to play around the time PlayStation Plus was offering discounts on, including Limbo. Naturally it would have been better to save the money and wait for such games to go free, but at least Plus helped out a little and people who haven't played the game yet will have something to look forward to.

Of course, the problem with the Plus freebie side is that sometimes it takes too long for games you want to become free. Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention is one such game that was released around the Vita's launch window. A year later the game became one of the many monthly freebies we've seen since Vita members started benefiting from PlayStation Plus. Other times the games you've bought already could become free soon after you've made the purchase or years down the road. Getting the game out to Plus members sooner would hurt Sony financially, though it would definitely help to get all the games out there that people have an eye on sooner so that they don't have to spend money on those releases. In a way this could help boost sales of PlayStation Plus. Although, the service is most likely already generating enough revenue that Sony's not looking to raise the roof on this sort of capitalistic venture in that way.

I'd estimate though that we'll be seeing some of the games you have in mind for the Plus service in the coming months. The PlayStation Vita itself isn't armed with as diverse a library as the PlayStation 3 portfolio, in which up to this point some months Plus members have found PlayStation Portable games offered instead of Vita games. There's been quite a few more meaningful titles offered already though, if you can call them that. From Dokuro, Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD, to ModNation Racers: Road Trip, the Vita has seen bigger games just as it has seen smaller and possibly shorter ones. We're only two years into the Vita's life though. If we'll ever get titles from Borderlands 2 being free for Vita members or possibly one day Tearaway, then you might just benefit from something or another. In the meantime you can always buy the games you're desperate to play whilst keeping your hand off the panic button for the ones you're not completely set upon.

Message 8 of 8 (97 Views)
0 Likes