Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Mar 10 2012
By: seti18 First Son 2 posts

As a Long-Term Gamer and PlayStation User...

6 replies 20 views Edited Mar 10, 2012

I've got to say this console generation's been really disappointing. I have been a user of the PlayStation brand since the PS1 as it's always been my favorite console franchise to go hand-in-hand some PC gaming, but this console generation's seen a lot of regression of quality and, as far as I can see, consumer integrity resulting in, despite some gems here and there, an overly lackluster experience with the PS3 and this console generation as a whole. For one thing, over-inflated game development budgets have resulted in far less games by amount and have turned this business into even more of a corporate sham where companies have to pander to the needs of a mainstream audience just to survive and those that wish to take risks are restricted and even shut down to being unable to, financially, keep up.

It's all about what the media says and hype builds up that determines what sells and consumers are sheepishly playing along. In addition, consumer technical standards have practically become a joke. Let's start with framerate issues... people don't care. They only care when something along the lines of what happened with Skyrim's long-term memory incompatibilities came into play and dropped the framerate to 0-10 fps for PS3 users, but now that Bethesda's released a patch, almost everyone's content with the still-substandard framerate that fluctuates in a 20-30 range most of the time (depending on region) and can even dip into the teens... all because Bethesda so poorly-ported this game over to the PS3 that it struggles to even render simple features such as foliage, particle effects, AI, etc.? Where are the people clamoring over this trash when the framerate standard used to be and still should be a 30 fps minimum then capped at 30 fps to maintain a consistent 30 fps? Skyrim gets unanimous 10/10 and GOTY awards instead. Now Mass Effect 3 is a similar story... the framerate is atrocious on the PS3, yet Sony's advertising the game on the front page of their PSN store and it's, once again, getting all this undeserved praise. Need I even mention the PS3 versions of Call of Duty <insert title here>? Grand Theft Auto IV on the PS3? Two Worlds II on the PS3?

It's disgusting and nobody speaks out against it and now I've come to another point tying certain games and my disdain about corporate motives destroying great games. Mass Effect 3 is more of a third-person shooter than any RPG... certainly doesn't hold a candle up to old BioWare games in RPG mechanics such as KotOR or Baldur's Gate. Yet this is what constitutes an RPG? Square Enix produced a pretty, but extremely linear and monotonous Final Fantasy XIII. Is that an RPG? What does Skyrim offer on the RPG front when it's only really regressed and cut back on many past TES RPG features such as reputation system, what few choices/consequences the series might once have had, and any faction alignments? You get a good RPG along with proper choice and consequence and/or an actually engrossing story, such as Fallout: New Vegas (though the performance is underwhelming on this title, as well), and it practically goes unnoticed. This homogenization of genres to lean towards the overly predominant shooter arc is, in my opinion, ruining the game ambition and spark of games.

Returning to technical quality, the internet, while a great feature, has seemingly disrupted game quality. For example, while patches should have been a good thing (an augment to already technically-sound and well-tested games), they've now become a crutch for overly-dependant studios that just want the money now and to patch to a limited degree later, yet consumers eat it up. DLC is now used to nickle-and-dime us all, yet consumers eat it up. Back to game design quality and technical quality, they're growing more bland and appalling, respectively, than ever, yet consumers eat it up. Fellow PS3 gamers, feel free to disagree with me, I have no issues with this, but I wish to ask you of your thoughts and regardless of what they may be, I hope to have a civilized discussion on just what is going wrong and needs to be corrected in this industry which I'm sure all of us here can agree that we wish to see thrive. Thank you for your time.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24142 posts

Re: As a Long-Term Gamer and PlayStation User...

Mar 10, 2012

Ever hear the saying "you can't go home again"? You're older, and you're a different person than you were fifteen years ago. We all are. Everything was better back then. You lived at home and you didn't have to work for a living.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
7785 posts

Mar 10, 2012

seti18 wrote:

Need I even mention the PS3 versions of Call of Duty <insert title here>?

What's wrong with PS3 versions of Call of Duty? Each iteration of Modern Warfare was more visually impressive and smoother than the last, and MW3 offers feature and performance parity with the Xbox 360 version.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
24142 posts

Mar 10, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

seti18 wrote:

Need I even mention the PS3 versions of Call of Duty <insert title here>?

What's wrong with PS3 versions of Call of Duty? Each iteration of Modern Warfare was more visually impressive and smoother than the last, and MW3 started to offer feature and performance parity with the Xbox 360 version.

He's just using the standard gamer excuse dating back Call of Duty 4. Not such a big deal now in 2012.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
271 posts

Mar 10, 2012

i can definitely agree with you on the dlc especially since some companies will put the dlc ON THE DISK and wont let you use it till you pay for it or get the code from a certain store but i dont see a problem with most of those games... i have black ops for the ps3 and it runs smoothly on the story... the only reason it isnt as good online is because of internet connection... now im hoping you were complimenting FFXIII cause i thought it had a great story... now skyrim i also didnt mind even with all the lag issues but its fixed and perfectly fine now so i wouldnt use that as much of an incentive... and yes the meaning of RPG is getting taken and distorted by the people who prefer stuff like skyrim... FFXIII players hated it because it was linear and story was crap and chars sucked... it had a perfect story, was just about as linear as any other FF game (not counting XI,XII, or XIV), and the chars were great... i cant go on about game productions and all that cause im clueless on them but these are the stuff brought up that i can comment on

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1846 posts

Mar 15, 2012

Basch1990 wrote:

i can definitely agree with you on the dlc especially since some companies will put the dlc ON THE DISK and wont let you use it till you pay for it or get the code from a certain store but i dont see a problem with most of those games... i have black ops for the ps3 and it runs smoothly on the story... the only reason it isnt as good online is because of internet connection... now im hoping you were complimenting FFXIII cause i thought it had a great story... now skyrim i also didnt mind even with all the lag issues but its fixed and perfectly fine now so i wouldnt use that as much of an incentive... and yes the meaning of RPG is getting taken and distorted by the people who prefer stuff like skyrim... FFXIII players hated it because it was linear and story was crap and chars sucked... it had a perfect story, was just about as linear as any other FF game (not counting XI,XII, or XIV), and the chars were great... i cant go on about game productions and all that cause im clueless on them but these are the stuff brought up that i can comment on

Basch1990 Trophy Card

DLC, I think, is actually a great tool and is a great way to extend the life of a game post release. I think the issue comes from certain companies abusing it. The From Ashes DLC for ME3, I admit, was BS, and should have come free with preorders. The issue comes from companies like that releasing day 1 DLC that you have to pay for. But 6 months or so down the line, when a game will usually be shelved while consumers move on to the next great thing, is actually a great time for some DLC to entice people to pop that game in one more time. I know I, for one, am anxiously awaiting Skyrim's DLC.

Get your Portable ID!
Motorstorm 80GB Bundle w/ 320GB HDD
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

Mar 17, 2012

compared to what Nintendo has degraded too since the SNES heydays, id say that Sony has done alright for themselves.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 7 (20 Views)
0 Likes