Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Treasure Hunter
7560 posts

Re: Are there any advantages connecting via Ethernet cable instead of Wi-Fi?

Jan 13, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

I would have to say that ethernet is better... as long as you have a good cable that can handle the data being pushed through it without bottle necking..

Something like a cat6a That is the new cat 6 cable that is designed for more information to pass through it...

we have yet to even surpass the bandwidth capabilities of Cat5e at the consumer level.

Even Cat5e would be enough for most applications, including Gigabit Ethernet.

Cat6 cable is only worth it in my opinion if you are building a new house or renovating, and need to string ethernet in the walls for future-proofing. This is because Cat6 can handle 10Gbps wheras Cat5e can only handle 1Gbps. (Then again, we're barely even seeing 1Gbps capable hardware...)

----------------------------------------

Anyway, back on topic of Ethernet vs. Wifi...

I'd say try Ethernet first to see if you have any improvement compared to WiFi. I gamed on WiFi for a few years before when I went Ethernet. Some games performed better on Ethernet, some was more or less the same. The biggest factor is interference and channel crowding, but that can be resolved on many cases by switching broadcast channels.

(Hint: Get as far away from Channel 6 as possible. Channel 1 and Channel 11 are good choices.)

The most dramatic improvement for me was LittleBigPlanet 2. Everything just felt so responsive after upgrading to Ethernet.

For my bro, he swears by Ethernet as well on Battlefield 3. I haven't played BF3 much, but he states he's never going to play on WiFi again.

FIVE YEARS ON PLAYSTATION FORUMS

YOUTUBE REVIEWS ~ TROPHIES ~ GAMING YOUTUBE ~ LITTLEBIGPLANET

Bitcoin is nice. Dogecoin is nice too.
dd58bb65b61e7ab81198f3cc66aa5896c7fd690a
Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 21 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3372 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 13, 2013

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

I would have to say that ethernet is better... as long as you have a good cable that can handle the data being pushed through it without bottle necking..

Something like a cat6a That is the new cat 6 cable that is designed for more information to pass through it...

we have yet to even surpass the bandwidth capabilities of Cat5e at the consumer level.

Yeah we have cat 5e has always been a bottle neck It kills the speed you can actually get out of an internet connection..

Umm... no.... Cat5e has a maximum bandwith limit of 1000Mbps.... Gigabit.  

Cat6 has a maximum bandwidth limit, so far, at 10,000Mbps...10 Gigabit.

If Cat5e is your home networks bottleneck, then you've either have a problem with your network equipment, or your internet service is FASTER than 1Gb/ps or 125MB/s. 

Which I highly doubt you have. 

And even having a media server that streams HD content throuh your home network (internally, not streaming through the internet), the average bitrate of an HD movie is between 15-30Mbps.... which is MORE THAN ENOUGH for Cat5e.
And PLENTY for close to 10 different movie streams at once.

That is what they want you to believe because my internet isn't the best by far.. but i had cat 5 and cat 5e cables on my internet..

They did not run fast enough or let the internet go to it's fullest... So being a computer engineer i got ahold of cata server ethernet cables.. And they opened my internet up like i was on a 1000mbps connection...

Photobucket

1TB 7200RPM Destop HDD Under it's own power outside of the ps3 :smileytongue:
Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 21 (125 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9601 posts

Jan 13, 2013
You also have to look at your actual router itself. Especially for those of you who are using the ones your cable provider gives you which are built into your modem.

I had this problem with Comcast. Wired, my speeds were right around 25mbps. Wireless the speed was only about 1mbps. Did some poking around and tried the suggestions only to find out on comcasts support board that the equipment is crap.
Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 21 (117 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15466 posts

Jan 13, 2013

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

Yeah we have cat 5e has always been a bottle neck It kills the speed you can actually get out of an internet connection..

Umm... no.... Cat5e has a maximum bandwith limit of 1000Mbps.... Gigabit.  

Cat6 has a maximum bandwidth limit, so far, at 10,000Mbps...10 Gigabit.

If Cat5e is your home networks bottleneck, then you've either have a problem with your network equipment, or your internet service is FASTER than 1Gb/ps or 125MB/s. 

Which I highly doubt you have. 

And even having a media server that streams HD content throuh your home network (internally, not streaming through the internet), the average bitrate of an HD movie is between 15-30Mbps.... which is MORE THAN ENOUGH for Cat5e.
And PLENTY for close to 10 different movie streams at once.

That is what they want you to believe because my internet isn't the best by far.. but i had cat 5 and cat 5e cables on my internet..

They did not run fast enough or let the internet go to it's fullest... So being a computer engineer i got ahold of cata server ethernet cables.. And they opened my internet up like i was on a 1000mbps connection...

Except, my house is wired for Cat5e and I don't have any bandwidth issues. 

Im not trying to say that either of us are right or wrong, but it seems SOMETHING on your end might not be right if upgrading to a different cable spec "unlocked" some bottleneck.

The biggest improvement I did with my ISP is I ditched their modem for my own modem, and I am getting 30Mbps constant speed, while I am paying for 20Mbps. Thinking I might be charged extra for the bandwidth I spoke with Customer Service and even one of their IT guys and they both said its typical for that to happen and they won't charge me for the extra speed. 
Obviously, they don't want to outright admit that they were throttling my connection (I was getting usually 10-15MBps). 
To put into perspective, I was almost ALWAYS paying for a 3Mbps connection when I first lived on my own so going from 3 to what I have now is a MASSIVE boost.

And using my GF's gigabit network is just ASTOUNDINGLY fast.... I feel a jealous towards those in Kansas City getting Google Fiber.

Aside from my girlfriends' home office, which is wired for gigabit speeds for her workstation, paid for my her company. Then again, its a dedicated gigabit line to her companys server farm, to offload her renderings projects from her computer to the companies servers.
She's a work at home Video Editor and 3D content creator.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 21 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
556 posts

Jan 13, 2013

ethernet for speed. downloading on wifi is painful if you have any speed over 20mbp

Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 21 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
66 posts

Jan 13, 2013

Hardwiring it via Ethernet cable is always more stronger and stable. Especially if you have multiple wi-fi devices in the house or place of play, where multiple devices are all pulling off of one wi-fi source.

If you can, I'd suggest it.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 21 (106 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jan 13, 2013

yes wifi is no where near cable stability and speed. its been documented by many sites. wifi G, which ps3 has unfortunately, does not have enough bandwidth to support hi speed gaming or hd streaming. you lose 30% of your speed by using wifi G. its not a debate, its a fact. unless you have wifi N, which can support the bandwidth for HD streaming and gaming,  DONT use wifi on the PS3 unless you love lag and low quality.  convenient? yes. better? hell no

cant paste here for some reason, but check out osnews.com/theres no substitute for cable. google it it should come up along with tons of articles stating ethernet is better.

also did your lan line(home phone) ever drop your phone calls? no. it was wired. did your cell phone? of course. its a wireless signal subsceptable to interference. wifi is just like a cell phone. your bars will never be stable, they always move. in gaming land, that means LAG

im passionate about this because for every uniformed gamer thats one more i encounter online who ruins it for everyone else thinking he never lags but in reality hes using wifi. you can always tell a wifi user online. its SOOOO annoying. ruins the experience for us with stable connections.

ps3 wifi is really terrible and low quality, please dont use it unless you just use the ps3 for simple things. the 360 slim, wii U, ps vita all have wireless N, its a HUGE difference.  the ps3 does not use it.

One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 21 (100 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15466 posts

Jan 14, 2013

AriesSiren wrote:

yes wifi is no where near cable stability and speed. its been documented by many sites. wifi G, which ps3 has unfortunately, does not have enough bandwidth to support hi speed gaming or hd streaming. you lose 30% of your speed by using wifi G. its not a debate, its a fact. unless you have wifi N, which can support the bandwidth for HD streaming and gaming,  DONT use wifi on the PS3 unless you love lag and low quality.  convenient? yes. better? hell no

cant paste here for some reason, but check out osnews.com/theres no substitute for cable. google it it should come up along with tons of articles stating ethernet is better.

also did your lan line(home phone) ever drop your phone calls? no. it was wired. did your cell phone? of course. its a wireless signal subsceptable to interference. wifi is just like a cell phone. your bars will never be stable, they always move. in gaming land, that means LAG

im passionate about this because for every uniformed gamer thats one more i encounter online who ruins it for everyone else thinking he never lags but in reality hes using wifi. you can always tell a wifi user online. its SOOOO annoying. ruins the experience for us with stable connections.

ps3 wifi is really terrible and low quality, please dont use it unless you just use the ps3 for simple things. the 360 slim, wii U, ps vita all have wireless N, its a HUGE difference.  the ps3 does not use it.

YMMV, YMMV.

For the 5 years I've been running wireless, i've never had any issue. And in most cases, I would be the host of a lobby.

Remember, not everything you read on the internet is true. I've had nothing but good experiences running Wi-Fi never any instability or reliability issue. But like I said before, having a proper configuration is key. Simply using the "automatic" or "quick setup" is not going to get you the best you can get.

Cognitive Dissonance - The ability to understand multiple viewpoints even if they conflict with one another - and still use critical thinking, logical thought, and common sense to come to the realization that only ONE is the correct one and the others are wrong.

Furiously Chaosing
Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 21 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
359 posts

Jan 16, 2013
its not a rumor, its a fact, call your provider and they will even tell you its not stable. thats why they say 30 meg for wired, UP TO 30 mg with wireless. yes i can back up my info. can you? didnt think so. wifi is slower and unreliable. no debate
One day at a time babe....
Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 21 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6529 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 16, 2013

hjason1 wrote:

gR3yGh051 wrote:

hjason1 wrote:

^^^ Wow hjason1... I suggest you stop giving advice on networking, starting now.

Launch PS4 || Launch 60GB YLOD || PS3 Slim 1TB || Gaming since October 1977 (Atari VCS launch)
Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 21 (52 Views)
0 Likes