Feb 15 2014
By: MLPixler Lombax Warrior 145 posts

Are the new "Playstation Gold" headsets worth it?

[ Edited ]
13 replies 1583 views Edited Feb 15, 2014

I want to get a new headset. The only pair I have are the ones that came with the PS4. I posted last month that I was going to get the gold headsets but now, I'm not so sure. I've been hearing mixed reviews. In your opinion, are they worth it? If not, which headsets would be better?

Edit: Updated title/Updated label

For more information on labels please visit: http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Labels-Best-Practices-in-PS-General/td-p/...

Message 1 of 14 (1,583 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3216 posts

Re: Are the new Playstation Gold Headsets worth it?

Feb 15, 2014
I think they are good for the price, some people would disagree. I haven't seen anyone recommend a comparable pair that was less than or equal to the price, only more. There are lots of reviews, just keep doing research until you are sure you know what you want to buy.
Message 2 of 14 (1,582 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6104 posts

Feb 15, 2014

MLPixler wrote:

I want to get a new headset. The only pair I have are the ones that came with the PS4. I posted last month that I was going to get the gold headsets but now, I'm not so sure. I've been hearing mixed reviews. In your opinion, are they worth it? If not, which headsets would be better?

You can read my review here of them, I did it yesterday actually.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/Review-Da1writer-s-Playstation-Gold-Wirel...

Message 3 of 14 (1,572 Views)
Lombax Warrior
218 posts

Feb 15, 2014
I honestly would recommend the pulse elites over the gold. I hear the sound quality is just ok with the gold. I have the pulse elite and couldn't be happier with it as a gaming headset.
Message 4 of 14 (1,572 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10137 posts

Feb 15, 2014
@Evan297

You can hook up a pair of monitoring headphones to the Turtle Beach DSS for under $100 and it will blow away any of these Sony headsets.

A very good wireless option (Plyr1) can also be had for only $130. Is inferior audio really worth trying to save 30 bucks over?
Message 5 of 14 (1,549 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
32 posts

Feb 15, 2014

Was almost gonna get a gold but finally took the plunge and took your advice Murder, got the superlux 668b with a mixamp pro and  zalman zm1 mic on order. Thanks for helping me find quality sound for an enjoyable game experience.  I'll make future headset upgrades with quality non gaming headphones.

"All of this has happened before and will happen again."
Message 6 of 14 (1,527 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3216 posts

Feb 15, 2014
@Murderstyle75

I can only find the plyr 1's in Canada for $179.99. Amazon Canada only has the plyr 2's, which are right around the $200 mark. Are they both fully compatible with the ps4 currently, and would you recommend the plyr 2's with the prices being so close?
Message 7 of 14 (1,511 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3334 posts

Feb 15, 2014

For the Price they're OK. defeintyl not the best but for that price you get a great bang for your buck, instead of blowing $350 for headphones

Image and video hosting by TinyPicHEAVY WEAPONS GUYImage and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 8 of 14 (1,508 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3216 posts

Feb 15, 2014
Canada sucks for buying stuff, I should just go for a drive to the states, even with duties I would probably save a lot.
Message 9 of 14 (1,505 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5477 posts

Feb 15, 2014

Evan297 wrote:
@Murderstyle75

I can only find the plyr 1's in Canada for $179.99. Amazon Canada only has the plyr 2's, which are right around the $200 mark. Are they both fully compatible with the ps4 currently, and would you recommend the plyr 2's with the prices being so close?

The PLYR1 headsets are compatible with the PS4 out of the box.  The PLYR2 headsets require an analog input, which presents a compatibility issue, as the PS4 doesn't have a native analog out.  You would need a converter at that point (or hook the PLYR2's aux in to a TV or receiver headphone out). 

For the money, I would say that the PLYR1's are worth the price difference, even at $180, for two reasons:

1. You get a "true" Dolby decode, so, better surround experience, and
  2. You get an AUX input, so you can mix virtually any sound source into your gaming experience.

I fully endorse the PLYR series and the Golds (as my 38+ minutes reviewing the Golds on YouTube can attest to), so, it's going to be a matter of what you prefer in a headset.

• Is wireless a priority? If it isn't, definitely take Muderstyle's advice and and invest in a DSS (though, they are not cheap in Canada, close to $120CAN), and a pair of reference headphones (anywhere from $40-90US), and't you'll be amazed.  I used my Sony MDR-7506's with an amp, and I absolutely adored the experience.  I switched to the Golds because wireless is a priority to me, I'm not comfortable shipping to my home at this time (the PLYR1's were on the radar), and i will always have the wired backup if I need it.
  • What battery life do you want? The Golds clock in at 6-9 hours of use per charge for me, and I've read that the PLYR1's are slightly under that.  The Golds can be used while charging (I just use a AC-to-USB plug with a microUSB cord plugged into a power strip behind my couch), which negates my concerns about battery life.  Not sure if the PLYR1's can do that.  I hope so, but I honestly don't know.
  • Is chat a priority?  If it is, be prepared to give up some of the wireless nature of some headsets, as they still require a hookup to the controller.  On the PLYR1's, this video says that the chat is recognized on the PS4 without a cable, but the Skullcandy website says that the PLYR2's are not.  I find that odd, but am willing to bet that the PLYR2's work the same way that the PLYR1's do in that regard.  Probably worth more research.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 10 of 14 (1,325 Views)