Welcoming Committee
4664 posts

Re: Are people who like FPS the only "real gamers"?

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

A real gamer is a sentient being that exists on this physical plane, and uses a portion of that existence playing video games.  Period.

If you want to debate the level "truth" of any self-proclamation of that designator, you're reading too much into our culture.  Also, our culture of gaming has suffered enough ostracization over the last 35+ years.  Do we really need to segregate ourselves?

<sarcasm>You only say that because you play FPS</sarcasm>

Spot on Jim, we are all gamers so I just don't get it when people start talking "real gamer" because you don't play a certain way or type of game, like how people are with the casual vs.. hardcore.

edit: accidental a word. 

Message 11 of 94 (240 Views)
Sackboy
480 posts

Feb 21, 2014
And the worst thing is, if i try to play with them thier FPS, and i won't be good at it because i am not that accustomed with its mechanics.
They start with there rant on how playing FPS has made them GODS and i am a noob.
I guess they really don't know what a noob is!!
Message 12 of 94 (235 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
258 posts

Feb 21, 2014

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

A real gamer is a sentient being that exists on this physical plane, and uses a portion of that existence playing video games.  Period.

If you want to debate the level "truth" of any self-proclamation of that designator, you're reading too much into our culture.  Also, our culture of gaming has suffered enough ostracization over the last 35+ years.  Do we really need to segregate ourselves?

Spot on! The other segregation thing that gets me peeved is the whole mobil device or social media gamers aren't gamers thing. I love the fact that more people are playing video games than ever before.  We may not all like or play the same games but they are all video games. 

Message 13 of 94 (228 Views)
Sackboy
480 posts

Feb 21, 2014
The way i see it, mobile gamers and social media gamers will eventually become console gamers. And thats win for all of us.
I sometimes wonder we have enough Third person and first person games. We could do better with some second person games. 8-) :-P
Jk jk jk.
Message 14 of 94 (219 Views)
Monster Hunter
41 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2014

I agree with you. As a Call of Duty fan, I've seen some great Single Player stories, and terrible Multiplayer. However, I don't agree with your friends. FPSs are usuallly made for fun, and they're definitely not the best games out there.

Message 15 of 94 (214 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
533 posts

Feb 21, 2014

To answer the question...not at all. That just so happens to be the current fad within the industry, and all fads die. A "real" gamer plays a wide variety of genres and enjoys games across all platforms, granted we're here on the Sony forums, but to me, a real gamer has respect for all types of games and understands the legacy that games for other companies like Microsoft and Nintendo have left on the industry.

Message 16 of 94 (204 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1461 posts

Feb 21, 2014

I basically ONLY play the single player campaigns of games.  That's what I enjoy most.  I don't really play online.

Message 17 of 94 (202 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1474 posts

Feb 21, 2014
I prefer FPS games and I can't say I've put much thought into it other than an occasional 'dude, play [insert game I'm playing and want them to play too] and not [other game].' Maybe through in some playful exchanges depending on comfort level with that person.

To put it simply, the answer is 'No.' Do people say these things, sure. People say all sorts of stuff for all kinds of reasons (and sometimes for no reason at all).

Do you really care if someone doesn't consider you a 'real gamer' though?

Message 18 of 94 (195 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
198 posts

Feb 21, 2014

thefisrtofus wrote:
And the worst thing is, if i try to play with them thier FPS, and i won't be good at it because i am not that accustomed with its mechanics.
They start with there rant on how playing FPS has made them GODS and i am a noob.
I guess they really don't know what a noob is!!

Your friends sound about 14 years old.

Message 19 of 94 (193 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
354 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 21, 2014

I'm a gamer, why?  Because I like all types of games,  FPS, racing, puzzle, etc.  I am good at some and suck at others, but I enjoy them all.

Message 20 of 94 (187 Views)
0 Likes