Feb 16 2014
By: Murderstyle75 Keyblade Wielder 10143 posts

Are people really trading in their last gen games?

15 replies 280 views Edited Feb 16, 2014
Last night I got about 20 PS3 games together expecting to trade them in for a couple PS4 games. I wasn't expecting much but certainly enough for a couple games or at least close to it. I was offered $21 from Gamestop and $26 from Play & Trade. I couldn't help but laugh at both offers and walked out the door.

Now I was already **bleep** at Gamestop because they won't even sell you a PS4 unless you spend a minimum of $650 on a bundle. But for them to offer me as much for almost half of my collection as I pay for a round of drinks at the bar is a bit ridiculous. Especially when looking at what they still charge for these games. Are people really this stupid and desperate for 20 bucks?
Message 1 of 16 (280 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
96 posts

Re: Are people really trading in their last gen games?

Feb 16, 2014

Well your first big mistake was going to either of those con-shops and expecting to get any sort of value. At this point, BestBuy is probably offering the best trade in value you can get, from my experience. Having said that, if you really want to make the most potential profit don't go to a store at all. Use craigslist or Ebay. I have sold many a games in the past for $10 or $15 each when GameStop was only willing to give me a couple dollars.

Message 2 of 16 (271 Views)
Hekseville Citizen
323 posts

Feb 16, 2014

Gamestop isn't the only retailer selling PS4 consoles. Try other stores. As far as your PS3 titles are concerned- what other alternatives do you have aside from keeping them. It's nonsense for them to offer consumers pennies when they will turn around and sell it for $54.99.

Message 3 of 16 (264 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13861 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Depends how old the games are, and if they're popular.
Black ops 2 still trades in for like $15 by itself. If you're trading in something like Uncharted 2 or something, you won't see much return.

GTAV and TLOU also garner $10-$20 each.

If you really want to get rid of old games, sell on eBay. You'll get $5-$10 minimum for each game that GameStop was only willing to pay you $0.30 for
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 4 of 16 (260 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13360 posts

Feb 16, 2014
Obviously they trade in games that are worth more
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 5 of 16 (256 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
13861 posts

Feb 16, 2014

I remember when my brother and I went to trade in games for the PS3.

I traded in some DS games, he traded in our PS2 games.

Our 30 PS2 games got us $12

My 20 DS games got us $125.

So it's all about what's relevant.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 6 of 16 (246 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30249 posts

Feb 16, 2014

The appeal of GameStop is not the actual money, it's quick turn around. You can get more if you sell your games yourself on Ebay or Craigslist, however they know there's a huge segment of the gaming public that doesn't want to be bothered with that. And you're not even getting cash, you're getting store credit.

Message 7 of 16 (238 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10143 posts

Feb 16, 2014
@CaptainAlbator

I understand selling on EBay or Craigslist but just wanted to get rid if them quick. I just don't remember trade in values being this bad at the end of last generation. I mean they are offering 75 cents for games they are reselling for $18 to $20. That kind of value used to only be relevant to old sports games.
Message 8 of 16 (229 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10143 posts

Feb 16, 2014
@MGS_FATMAN

I have a PS4. Bought one at Best Buy, two days ago. What I don't understand is the success of these ripoff shops. Most markets are only successful due to value and good customer service. Gamers on the other hand seem to be manipulated very easy and it really sucks for the rest of us.
Message 9 of 16 (222 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30249 posts

[ Edited ]
Feb 16, 2014

They're using the fact that the PS4 is now on shelves to shaft you, even more so. "Well you're trading in a last generation game".

I don't understand why people put up with it after this long. Especially when you do have other options, which are better and give you better end results. It reminds me of that scene in Animal House; (SMACK!) THANK YOU SIR! MAY I HAVE ANOTHER!

Message 10 of 16 (221 Views)