Highlighted
May 04 2013
By: DualShear First Son 3 posts

Are PS1 classics any better than the disc itself?

9 replies 997 views Edited May 4, 2013

I still have my original Legend of Dragoon. I notice some text looks pretty nasty on my TV. (even with smoothing on) Is there anything done to the picture quality to help compensate for the upscale in the PS1 classic version? 

Message 1 of 10 (997 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4919 posts

Re: Are PS1 classics any better than the disc itself?

May 4, 2013

I played original PS1 games on my PS3 and the graphics were crystal clear. I think the PS3 upscales the graphics of PS1 discs if you're using an HD TV.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 2 of 10 (989 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

May 4, 2013

I am indeed using a HD TV. Only a small handful of text looks pixely. Like the text on game menu of LOD. The text below the Legend of Dragoon (Sony computer entertainment yata yata yata) It's very jagged that's among a small handful of text in the game, but there's a lot of points where the text looks great. I was just curious if the ps one classic version looks any better in those areas. This game looks great on my tv. I'm just nitpicky. lol I fully understand that the game is a PS1 game. 

Message 3 of 10 (985 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
120 posts

[ Edited ]
May 4, 2013

First I will say I've seen very little difference between my PS Classic games versus playing my PS one discs on the PS3.

I will say this the games look better if you keep them in normal or original mode instead of stretching them to full screen.

I'd like to add that I feel the PS One games look way better when playing on a vita. Everything just seems crisper and brighter but that's just my opinion.

PSN Gamercards

Feel free to add me as a friend. Just put "playstation forums" in the friend request.
Message 4 of 10 (948 Views)
Fender Bender
3321 posts

May 5, 2013

I have both PS1 discs and "Classics" downloads and the only difference I notice is that if you play the Classics version with the smooth filter, the image is stretched vertically.

Twitter: @XenokingX
Message 5 of 10 (913 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 5, 2013

In my opinion, PS1 (and PS2) games look better when played on a standard television. If you play them on PS3, standard television and Upscale > OFF.

I don't like the way they look on a HDTV or with the Upscale on, for PS3.

Just my own personal preference.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 6 of 10 (907 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2785 posts

May 5, 2013

I actually prefer playing PS1 and PS2 games on a PS3. lol

Wouldn't the disc and the digital versions run the same way?

Message 7 of 10 (897 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
4404 posts

May 5, 2013

Icestar10 wrote:

I actually prefer playing PS1 and PS2 games on a PS3. lol

Wouldn't the disc and the digital versions run the same way?

Yes, the digital and disc versions run the same way. I was referring to the B/C PS3's. When I used to play my DISC based PS1 and PS2 games on my PS3. I've never bought a digital PS1/PS2 classic. I'd rather own 'em.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 8 of 10 (889 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
573 posts

May 5, 2013

well the discs can scratch if you're not careful with them, but i continue to play what few PS1 titles that i actually want to replay(mostly FF anthology, chronicles, origins and chrono cross as of late), on my Cecha01.

LONG LIVE CECHA01!!!
the absolute pinnacle of console video gaming!
Message 9 of 10 (869 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11743 posts

May 5, 2013

I prefer discs to digital for resale value amongst other things, but as per the smoothness of PlayStation games I haven't noticed anything different whether you have the disc slotted in or it's a game launched from the drive. PlayStation games are two generations behind the PlayStation 3, so naturally the quality wasn't made with today's standards in mind. The games still look the way they did back when they came out, it's just that the smoothing rubs away some but not all of the blotches.

Message 10 of 10 (857 Views)